PDA

View Full Version : Another saddle dilema

hctjudge
Jul. 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
I have a TWH mare that is hard to fit. The saddle that I ride
is a Paragon (I think)--a trail saddle with no horn, much like
a large English saddle. I have to have the stirrups with leathers, not fenders because my feet will go to sleep and knees hurt with a Western saddle. I prefer no horn.

My dilema is that with practically no pommel, I have so little
protection to keep me from going off over her shoulder- I hate to say the strange things that cause that to happen. :lol: I thought the answer was an Aussie saddle with poleys, but I
have ordered two and they don't fit. The dealer also wants
me to place it way too far forward where no saddle has ever
stayed on her.

My go-to guy for saddle repairs sold me my saddle and he has some connected "lumps" that were made for West. saddles and we are going to try to get that to work.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. And does anyone know the correct name for those "lumps", "bumps"?

hank
Jul. 11, 2010, 06:28 PM
the "lumps" are called "buck-rolls". I have never seen them on an English saddle, but what the heck? Those Aussie "poleys" had to start somewhere...

hctjudge
Jul. 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for clearing the name up.

We may have to separate them. Johnny thinks he can screw
them on. I'm not too concerned how it looks.

One time the mare did a cutting horse move instead of
the planted feet when something scared her and off I went.

I have won buckles (years ago) cutting, when I was much
younger, so that was a familiar move and without a
cutting saddle, it's a whole other outcome. :eek:

PRS
Jul. 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have a Sensation Hybrid Treeless saddle that is exactly what you describe. It has a pommel, but no horn, it is deep and secure, it uses leathers, not fenders and it has knee rolls to help keep you locked in. I love it! It is hands down the most secure feeling saddle I've ever ridden in. I've got friends who ride gaited horses that use these saddles and love them. The saddle allow their horses to use their shoulders more than a treed saddle. I ride a QH/Arab cross. I moved to this saddle after he started having issues with my western saddle. I can tell that he is much more comfortable in his treeless saddle. I also ride my 27 year old mare in this saddle and she seems much more comfortable with it too. I've owned this mare for 14 years and she offered to extend a trot for the first time ever the first time I rode her in this saddle. http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/dorim_2005/IMG_0140.jpg
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/dorim_2005/Doriblueberry.jpg
I demoed mine for free from Melissa at www.freedomtreeless.com.

pnalley
Jul. 12, 2010, 09:01 AM
Wintec makes an Aussie style saddle, but the padding for the horses back is not as extreme as many of the leather Aussies. They have the poly's. I'd bet you could pick one up on ebay.

cloudy18
Jul. 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
I had the same problem when I ordered an Aussie. They wanted that thing on her neck. It wasn't going to stay there even with a breast collar/plate. When I put it where it wanted to be there wasn't enough wither clearance. I sent it back and continue to use her el cheapo Aussie, which slides neatly into place in the dip in her back.

You can try to look for a used Aussie and hope it fits correctly sitting where it wants to. The serge panels fit better than the fleece bottom ones. Or you can try the bucking rolls-who cares how it looks, it's a trail saddle, right? Otherwise your option may be to find something with more of a pommel and swap out the western fenders for english.

I don't know though-I have a fairly decent seat on my Arab but I rode my husband's STB and without trying she cleanly unseated me before I could blink, twice on one short ride, in a Western saddle. Maybe you just have a slippery horse.:)