PDA

View Full Version : PNW: Type of fencing in forest

Prieta
Jul. 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
We just moved here from Wisconsin to Washington which is a huge move for us in many ways. For example, we sold our 42 acres farm to purchase a much smaller of 5 acres in the middle of forest home. It means that we'd have to do nearly everything differently than we would do in WI. I do not see how electric tape would do here in the forest where I plan on making a track loop of about 8 feet wide. What type of fencing do you use if you have to put in fence out in the forest?

Daydream Believer
Jul. 11, 2010, 01:42 PM
How hilly is it? No climb can be a good choice in some situations but pricey. Wood is probably a very good choice also but expensive as well.

That is a heck of a climate change! Should be lots warmer but lots wetter also! Beautiful area though.

I am curious why you don't think electric will work? You can bury a cable to carry current from one side to the other. One issue may be foliage touching the tape so you'd have to keep it trimmed back.

Calvincrowe
Jul. 11, 2010, 02:26 PM
As you're on the Peninsula, the undergrowth is pretty bad...hmmm...if by "track loop" you mean a path 8 feet wide, fence on either side, running thru/around your property, it seems to me that renting a cat to bulldoze said path would be a good first step. Electric tape works pretty well, as long as it isn't grounded on anything. Driving fence posts in PNW Doug fir forest land is the shits, too. Wood fencing will rot in about 4-7 years, no matter how "treated" the posts are.

I wonder what kind of fencing PNWJumper, who posts here, has on her place. She's close to you there in Poulsbo. Maybe check at your feed store or tour a few facilities to see what they've got in. Metal T-posts and wire fencing is tough, unless your land is fairly level, but it is doable.

Good luck, and welcome to Washington!

suz
Jul. 11, 2010, 06:29 PM
i'm in vermont, on a very steep and heavily wooded mountainside. our four rail fencing takes a beating from moose and wind blown trees and limbs coming down onto it.
so we're going to go with rubber strapping. it's made from recycled race car tires, so no metal to worry about. plus it's pretty dang cheap and very strong. but it weighs a ton, so the shipping is the big issue--i'm going to see if any of my friends want to go in on a truck load. i heard about it here, and sent away for a sample. i think it will work very well here.
i haven't ordered it yet, but once i do i'll do the entire acreage in one inch rubber strapping--around fifteen acres or so. hth...

PNWjumper
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
Most of our property is fenced with 4-board wood fencing milled from the property many (25+) years ago. But we're on a completely cleared 5-acre piece out here in Kingston. You can use wood posts without a problem, you just have to cement them in. The posts that were just dropped into the ground on this property are all rotted through. The cemented posts are perfectly fine.

Electric fences do fine...is there something in particular you're worried about in regards to the woods and the fence? The side of our property bordered by a forested area is a 4-strand electric fence with the top and 3rd strand composed of wide electric tape and the 2nd and 4th strands regular wire. The wide white tape makes it more visible against the trees. We do have to walk the fence line every time we have a wind storm to pick up downed branches, but it's great having a "stretchy" fence like wire for that very reason. My 4-board fence could never survive the branches like my wire fence does!

Congrats on the new home and welcome to the peninsula!

foggybok
Jul. 12, 2010, 02:02 AM
We have board fence for perimeter (and some wire that we are replacing). Electric for all the interior. The electric gets taken down by deer on regular basis...and you need to keep the growth down.

My friend just installed Finish Line. They had a lot of trees come down on it last winter and it spring right back up when they took them off. I might try it for my back lines.

Hoofprince in Mud
Jul. 12, 2010, 02:33 AM
I keep horses in the middle of a forrest in Western WA. I use electric fence tape. The resident deer either jump or go under. I don't find it to be a major problem having to fix the the fence from the deer, however, I can't say I appreciate their presence.

When the fence was built about 10 years ago, I had a fencing guy come and put in wooden posts, spaced with tees. Biggest problem is the lichen growning on the tape.

The most important feature you need to work on, is having a gravel pad for the horses to move around on during the wet season, otherwise you will have no pasture at all. Your country extension should be able to help with planning and may have subsidies available to help finance your project.

CatOnLap
Jul. 12, 2010, 12:10 PM
I use electric tape too a few miles north here in canada, but walk my fence line regularly ( at least every day or two) to clear anything that might have fallen on it, and find I do have to do the entire fence line with the weedwhacker at least once a month in growing season or the blackberries, bracken fern and cleavers will overgrow it.

There are some very pretty looking T-post systems you can buy now where there is a white palstic sleeve that holds three lines of tape and caps the posts.

I've found the t-posts go in much easier than anything else among the douglas fir roots and as I am now in the process of replacing a wooden post and rail fenceline, where much of the planks despite regular painting, have dry rotted and where a third of the posts are now rotting at the ground line ( they were pressure treated 4-6 inch posts) put in 15 years ago, may just do the whole thing in t-post and tape.

anchodavis
Jul. 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
The place where I keep my horse right now has rubber strapping along a treeline on the east side of their property. It seems to work well, horses aren't interested in chewing on it at all and it looks like it was easy to install. I looked into it for the place we're building because the north field border is a treeline, but I have a 10-foot setback so it won't work.
If you're in a totally wooded area and it's very shady, I guess black rubber won't be the most visible fencing... altho theoretically you could paint it. :D