PDA

View Full Version : Can 3 horses eat a mineral block in 1 night?

dressappy
Jul. 11, 2010, 09:57 AM
This has happened twice. My friend put a big mineral block in our paddock. It was gone on less than 4 days. I placed a mineral block in last night and when I fed this morning it was all gone. My friend thinks someone is stealing them but it makes no sense why would someone steal a mineral block.
:confused:

lolita1
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:06 AM
It is possible does it have molasses in it? I have heard that some horses will gorge themselves due to the molasses which really isn't great for their kidneys. But even without molasses yes it is still possible and can be sign of lack of something. I.e. if it is really hot then they need to replace salt I've known horses to eat a large salt block in a week when its hot. If you are feeding molasses try switching to feeding a salt block and loose seaweed meal instead.

Eventer55
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have a horse that would look at a mineral block and say "oh boy, a new play toy!!" she will physically move a mounting block and I mean move as in 30 ft across a paddock. I've seen her do it. . . any chances someone is using it as a kicking or pawing toy?

Is there any evidence of it left? Try placing it in a tub or try "critter scam" or cam.

dressappy
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
No there is no evidence it ever was there. It looks how it did when I put the mineral block there last night.

I looked at the tag it does have cane molasses in it.
My friend has her horses on beet pulp/oats mix and my mare is on Horse Sense grain, which is fortified with minerals and stuff already. But my mare likes sweets so the molasses may be her weakness.

cssutton
Jul. 11, 2010, 12:37 PM
What are you calling a salt block?

Those bricks you put in a feed box?

The 50 LB. block?

Do you live on the same property or spend any significant time on it?

If so, do you ever look at the area where the block is located?

Don't put a block out for 24 hours and then put one out and watch it to see if the horses go nuts over it.

If they take a couple of licks and then walk off, you have a night visitor and need a game camera.

CSSJR

equineartworks
Jul. 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
If they take a couple of licks and then walk off, you have a night visitor and need a game camera.

CSSJR

I was thinking the same thing. The deer have a field day with salt blocks that are left in the paddocks. We used to keep one or two of the almost gone blocks way out back and by morning they would be gone.

dressappy
Jul. 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
When I put it out last night they were all super excited about it. It's one of those huge ones. My mare is the alpha so she was the first to go at it. My friend's mare kept on eyeing it waiting her turn. The gelding wanted to eat it, but he's low man so he started eating hay.

But we do have a ton of deer on the property.

headsupheelsdown
Jul. 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Oh, yeah. They can destroy it no problem. I will put two out for a herd of 7 and they are gone by sometime the next day.

These are the "Horsepower" blocks from Farm and Fleet. They have minerals and molasses and the horses start licking their chops as soon as they see them. I never considered that deer could also be getting in there at night. Two regular salt blocks will last a matter of weeks, depending on the weather- longer in the winter and like only 3 weeks in the summer.

JB
Jul. 11, 2010, 04:03 PM
Can they? Absolutely - ONE horse can.

The bigger question is - should they, and the answer is no.

The next biggest question is - why are they.

katarine
Jul. 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
meh- I use the Equimin mineral blocks and they have no molasses in them. Fastest rate I've seen one vanish is a week, with four horses on it. I wouldn't offer them a sweet block...

dressappy
Jul. 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
My mare has never really been on a mineral block. With my old pasturemate we just had regular salt. So I checked the ingredients molasses is the 2nd ingredient on the list. So I have a feeling my mare is a little piggy.
So I think next time around I'll check the ingredients and get one without molasses in it.