PDA

View Full Version : %&*#* fleas

ManyDogs
Jul. 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
We have 8 dogs. I have tried everything to get rid of fleas that continue to cover them no matter what I do. Bathing, powder, spray, Frontline, all these promise they will keep fleas off for days/weeks. Yeah, right. A day later they are back.
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
PS-I'd like to try diatimacious (???) earth but I'd have to have it shipped and it would cost as much to ship it as it would to buy the product.

halo
Jul. 10, 2010, 11:41 PM
The topicals like Frontline dont work anymore. I use Comfortis, a once a month oral pill; works like a charm.

pj
Jul. 10, 2010, 11:50 PM
The front line still works well for ticks but not for fleas.
The comfortis, as mentioned works really well as does the advantage.

RainDancer
Jul. 10, 2010, 11:52 PM
Treat the property. Ortho Maxx. It is in a red bag. Everywhere the dogs go, treat and then treat again. I use Advantage. It worked 100 times better than Frontline.

Are they confined to a specific yard or area? That is the best way to get rid of fleas. Give the dogs a dedicated area, treat the ground really well (and the rest of the yard too to get rid of the rest) and treat the dogs.

Hunter_Newbie
Jul. 11, 2010, 12:29 AM
I second Comfortis. One pill once a month. No messing with gunky liquids. Frontline wont touch fleas on my Aussie and my terrier is very allergic. One Comfortis pill and I found dead fleas on them withen hours :D

Grataan
Jul. 11, 2010, 02:24 AM
The topicals do still work in most areas. You may try switching to a different topical. The mistakes people usually make are: 1) they forget to treat ALL the pets (including cats, ferrets, small children <kidding!>) and the environment at the same time-this means all the bedding, your bedding, the carpet, the couch, and the lawn/yard; and 2) they assume that one application will fix the problem. One needs to repeat the applications until the problem in the environment is taken care of-could be 30 or 90 days or could be longer if you have lots of strays hanging around or your dogs go to daycare etc. Something like Revolution should take care of it in less time since it not only kills the adults but prevents eggs from hatching (of course you need to avoid reinfestation...)

The third major mistake is buying flea medication anywhere other than the veterinarian-topicals such as Frontline/Advantage et al are sold only to licensed veterinarians. If you purchase anywhere other than a licensed veterinarian (or some place like vetcentric pharmacy) the product is either counterfeit or has been diverted. You have no way of knowing if you are putting the product or vegetable oil on your animal nor if the dosing/formula is correct nor if there are harmful contaminants.

I would recommend starting with a dose of Capstar followed by application of a good topical like Frontline, Advantage, or Promeris and please talk to your vet about an IGR med like Program or Sentinel.

Don't forget to treat the environment :) And take a drop of whiskey or glass of wine for you ;)

snkstacres
Jul. 11, 2010, 07:41 AM
Agree with Grataan. If you buy your frontline product anywhere besides a vet, you are not getting the real stuff. But a very good lookalike box.

Secondly, I use a different product each month because my dogs have built up resistance to every product at one time or another.

I have two farm dogs who run loose. This is its own set of problems because anywhere where there is long grass, that is where they get fleas from. I know this because if the kids or I walk through our neighbors grass, our tshirts are covered.

You may have to increase the topical to every three weeks which is what my farm dogs need. The others I can still get buy with every four.

And most importantly, treat the area where your dogs and cats inhabit. I use a powder in the beds, not a lot. I wash there blankets regularily. I spray the cats building monthly and keep it swept. Fleas dont much like airconditioning anyhow but just in case.

And I do my yard. With the red bag Ortho I do it early in the spring as soon as the fleas become active and then in the heat of the summer. It has to be watered in to be effective and so I either do it in the rain or just before a rain.

Keeping the premises free of the pests is the easiest way. The topicals do not prevent animals from getting the pests, it only means they die when they bite.

lesson junkie
Jul. 11, 2010, 08:30 AM
I second Grataan-treat everybody, including the cats, and don't give up. It can take 90-120 days to break the flea's life cycle. Nothing short of fire can kill the pupa stage, so you have to keep treating until they run their course.

Like snkstacres says, get the right stuff-the cheap stuff from the supermarket/pet shops is a waste. Underdosing and letting the animal get wet repeatedly will make the stuff less effective, too.

We have 6 dogs and 10 cats-I can tolerate the dirt and hair, but fleas just make all of us miserable!

Oh-and be sure you empty your vacuum cleaner!

MistyBlue
Jul. 11, 2010, 08:45 AM
Yup, treating the dogs only and not the property (house, garage, yard...where the dogs go) will not get rid of a flea infestation. You might get rid of the active ones currently on the dogs, but they'll pick up tons of new ones everywhere that wasn't treated or else the eggs on the dogs, in the yard and all over the house will hatch.

Getting rid of a flea infestation is a royal pain in the arse. But you've got to treat everywhere and all at or around the same time to get rid of them. And then wait a while and treat again to kill off eggs. (or use a product that kills eggs too)

Frontline, Advantix, etc do work. But you can't skip a treatment or treat only some animals because once those pests get a chance to build back up again in numbers...you're kinda screwed. So don't skip a month or treat late. get rid of the fleas by treating everywhere/everything and then keep up religiously on monthly treatments.

Also make sure to use the right one for the size of each dog. Using a 30-60 lb on even a 65 lb dog won't work.

I feel for you 3Dog...having fleas sucks out loud. Not to mention the cost of frontline/et al and heartguard for 8 dogs. Ouch!

katarine
Jul. 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
Frontline's working fine in my corner of the world, on dogs and cats.

Luv2Trail
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:00 AM
Fleas are horrible this summer here - HORRIBLE - never have I had such a problem! I have 6 dogs and I fight constantly to keep them flea free but there is NO way! ALL the tips given are GREAT and I really benefited from the posts!! I used to use Frontline with success, but it isn't working for my guys. I tried K9 Advantix and that does seem to be doing the trick ON THE DOGS, but I, for one, appreciate ALL the other suggestions. That's what I'll be working on! Thanks for the help!

JanM
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
I read an article quite a while ago that the amount of outdated and counterfeit Frontline available even through legitimate outlets is astoundingly huge. I used to buy Advantix (only dogs and can't be anywhere near cats) from Jeffers online-it was cheaper than my vet's office (and I lived near Dothan so I went down a picked it up at the store a couple of times a year). I second the treatment advice you've been given, and add that you should get the cheap flea collars and put them in the vacuum bag-it kills ticks, fleas and whatever else gets in there. ANd if they get in the rugs or furniture you have to retreat frequently to kill of subsequent hatchings of fleas, and you'll have to retreat the yard too.

rcloisonne
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
Agree with Grataan. If you buy your frontline product anywhere besides a vet, you are not getting the real stuff. But a very good lookalike box.Nonsense. I purchace both Advantage & Advantix through KV Vet. They are the real deal.

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=60705&gift=False&0=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D4%26Tree% 3D%2CK9%20Advantix%20for%20Dogs&HSLB=False&mscssid=9213C014C6BF48E5A55143D7CB888028

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=67423&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D9000%26Tree%3D%2CComple te%20Catalog&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D20000%26menu%5Fid%3D%26 Tree%3D0%2CCat&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D21100%26menu%5Fid%3D%26 Tree%3D1%2CFlea%2C%20Tick%20%26%20Insect%20Control&3=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D21104%26menu%5Fid%3D%26 Tree%3D2%2CTopicals%2C%20Ointments%2C%20Wipes%20%2 6%20Tablets&4=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D276%26Tre e%3D3%2CAdvantage&HSLB=False&mscssid=9213C014C6BF48E5A55143D7CB888028

KV has been selling Advantage without a prescription for years. If this were a hoax, I'm sure Bayer would be all over it.

Don't know about Frontline but the stuff I got from the vet didn't work at all. I told the vet Advantage was much better but she insists Frontline is the best and doesn't carry Advantage anymore. Hummm...

appdream
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:35 AM
I fought the flea problem for years. I use Frontline spray on my cats and dogs. I have heard that the Adams brand flea spray is very good.

For breaking the cycle in the house I use a mixture of 5 cups of Borateen (laundry detergent) to 1 cup of salt. Sprinkle on carpets and upolstery, allow on for a day or two, then vacuum. Reapply after each time you vacuum. All I can tell you is it has worked very well for me.

MistyBlue
Jul. 11, 2010, 12:00 PM
PSA: The only two online sales sites that Frontline endorses as original and not repackaged and questionable are petmeds and national vet.

The ways to tell counterfeit/repackaged outside of the country and illegally shipped back in and not controlled are:
Frontline packages are notched between each dose. Some fakes aren't. Some are though.
The batch number on the outside of the box has to match the batch number on the backs of the doses.
They need to have the insert pamphlet and that needs to include Merial's contact information and emergency reaction phone number information. Also has to have use and disposal information written down and first aide statement.
All written parts of interior and exterior packages are in English only.
All amounts listed in fluid oz and not mls.

If the packages are missing any of these things, they're not Frontline but a semi-similar liquid manufactored outside of the country, not tested and a lot cheaper and then repackaged into Frontline boxes and shippd backed into the states for sale on internet sites or in stores.

Just an FYI.

ManyDogs
Jul. 11, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the information! I scanned over all of the replies but plan to go back and read each one in depth. I hope the fleas appreciate my efforts.
The dogs have perimeter collars so are not all over the property. We do have something to do the yard but I don't recall what.
Not only did/does the Frontline not work around here, the fleas just go the dogs' tails. :mad:
We've bombed the house so that should help. I do like the idea of the combo to sprinkle on the carpets. Fortunately, most of the house is hardwood.
No ticks so far except on on JRT's ear, thank goodness.

IFG
Jul. 12, 2010, 12:06 PM
Someone else mentioned Borax. Fleabusters make a finer borax powder:

http://www.fleabuster.com/Products/Rx_Plus/flea_powder.html

When we moved to our house, it was infested. Bombs didn't work, only fleabusters got rid of the fleas.

DiablosHalo
Jul. 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
I use Revolution for my 4 dogs. It's a once/month liquid on their back like the others. It controls fleas, ticks, scabies, heartworm, mites, and some others. If I'm a week or two late- the dogs start scratching!

crosscreeksh
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:14 PM
For years I've used 10% Seven Dust on my dogs, cats and carpet, but for the past two seasons I've been unable to get the 10%, only 5% which is totally worthless!! The Frontline keeps ticks off, but is also worthless for fleas. I have sprinkled Borax soap powder into the carpet with fairly good results. Please keep the ideas coming. I'm planning on buying flea collars for DH and myself!!! Just joking!!

monstrpony
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
Advantage or Advantix have worked for me for years, but not this year :(. But I was walking down my driveway wearing shorts the other day, and suddenly found about a half-dozen of the buggers on my ankles. I think it must have been a spot where one of the wild rabbits recently rolled. So now we have an infestation. Dirty-word.

hctjudge
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:23 PM
We have one Lab and two dachshunds. I never thought
we could be without fleas, but I started giving the Lab garlic tabs for dogs and even the little dogs don't have fleas. Haven't seen a flea in 3 years.

I also give the powder form to my old QH that used to rub himself raw in the summer due to no seeums. Not only did
the garlic stop the bugs and itching, he stays black all summer. Dont know what's up there, but it works.

I love that we don't have to use chemicals on the dogs.
I get my garlic from Springtime Supplements.

StGermain
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
My dogs have a hundred acres they can roam on. I can't treat it all. I've used e-bay purchased Frontline previously without a hitch, but it no longer is working. I bought Comfortis from the vet - that didn't do any good. I put on Advantage two weeks ago, and that was doing better than anything, but they're starting to scratch again. Fortunately, I don't have carpet, and fleas rarely bite me, but I have a white dog that's a flea magnet, and a doberman who appearas to have a flea allegy.

Between the fleas and the flies, I can't wait for winter.

StG

SuperSTB
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:40 PM
My dogs have a hundred acres they can roam on. I can't treat it all. I've used e-bay purchased Frontline previously without a hitch, but it no longer is working. I bought Comfortis from the vet - that didn't do any good. I put on Advantage two weeks ago, and that was doing better than anything, but they're starting to scratch again. Fortunately, I don't have carpet, and fleas rarely bite me, but I have a white dog that's a flea magnet, and a doberman who appearas to have a flea allegy.

Between the fleas and the flies, I can't wait for winter.

StG

Advantage and Frontline has stopped working for us. Our yard gets treated regularly. All the dogs and cats get monthly flea treatment. This year just seems to be a bad year :(

But I have an elderly cat who is starting to show signs of side effects from flea treatments- I'm searching for alternatives for her.

tbgurl
Jul. 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
My mom gets her Frontline from her vet, and it wasn't working on her dogs.

I get my Frontline from Costco (and drsfostersmith.com occasionally) and it has been working just fine.

I don't think it's a source issue.

cssutton
Jul. 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
If you have fairly large dogs and are not afraid to go off label, go the farm supply store and purchase the purple python cattle ear tags.

I forgot the brand name and it is too far to walk to the kennel right now in the rain.

I have 21 foxhounds. I don't have any fleas.

Last year, I decided to try other methods and and got a good flea infestation.

Wrap the ear tag around the collar and staple the ends so it forms a loop around the collar.

If you have pups that chew collars off each other, I would not use them until they grow up and get over it.

You do not need to treat the barn. Fleas will get on the dog, bite him and fall off dead. No effort on your part.

The quickest way to apply the tags to the collar is to get the tool used to pierce the cow's ear. Wrap the tag around the collar and pierce the end.

Wrap it so the large flat end of the button is next to the dog's neck, not the sharp end..

This method has been used on thousands of foxhounds however I would be careful about putting them on really small dogs.

Of course, you could cut the tag down to a much smaller size.

$25.00 or so will get you 20 tags and a tag will protect a dog for the entire summer season.

No ticks, no fleas.

CSSJR

StGermain
Jul. 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
cssutton -That sounds great! Could you put those on horses' halters?

Thanks for the tip.

StG

bludejavu
Jul. 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
I posted a similar topic about flea problems in the last week and you might benefit from some of those replies. I also posted what was giving us results so far. We have a toy house dog, a Pit who lives outside and a house cat. So far Advantage has worked for them but I am beginning to think fleas build an immunity just like flies do. I never use the same fly product on my horses during the entire fly season - I have to switch three times during the season.

Here is the topic: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264110

cssutton
Jul. 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
cssutton -That sounds great! Could you put those on horses' halters?

Thanks for the tip.

StG

I have heard of people wrapping them around the halter.

I never have done that as I have not had a significant fly problem with the horses.

CSSJR