PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride Pine Creek Trail (PA)?

oldpony66
Jul. 10, 2010, 07:44 PM
Pine Creek Trail is the southern portion of a Rails-to-Trails system from Jersey Shore (the PA Jersey Shore) heading north to Ansonia. I am near the southern end. I can find some info on the internet about the trail but was wondering if anyone had first-hand info. Two things that have me worried are 1) parking - I know the closest access area to me will certainly NOT be a good place to put a trailer... and 2) I keep reading about horses having to stay off the crushed limestone trail (i.e., off to the side) so are there portions where that isn't possible, and therefore impossible to ride?

Snowdenfarm
Jul. 11, 2010, 02:42 PM
No firsthand experience, but this map shows horse trails and parking.....

http://www.pinecreekwatershedrcp.org/railtrail.pdf

Also, in Ride Pennsylvania Horse Trails, Carolyn Cook says horses are permitted on all trails except the West Rim Trail and the lower section of the Pine Creek Trail. No mention of the limestone paths. She also says there is parking for all sizes of rigs at the Ansonia Access Area.

lawndart
Jul. 12, 2010, 06:11 AM
Ansonia is up there quite a ways. When they first opened the R2T a friend and I drove up (without horses) parked there and walked the horse portion of the trail. A mile or so of it anyway :lol: It is right along the creek, so it is rocky. After a mile, I'd had enough, there are much better places to ride.

That was at least 8 years ago tho. They may have improved it since then. If you go, please post your experience with it.

oldpony66
Jul. 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks - that is the map that shows only one horse on it and at the northern (as in, farthest away) end... But if horses aren't allowed on the "lower section" then that most likely means too long a haul for me. I'm going to bike parts of it this summer sometime anyway... If I ever manage some time... I'd really like to get up to Pine Creek Gorge, horse or no horse. I still have probably 100 miles of trails to explore just down the road from me, but that trail was suggested by a friend who also hadn't ridden it... and I was skeptical. I'm actually not much for straight, flat trails!