PDA

View Full Version : Portable electric fence question

florida foxhunter
Jul. 10, 2010, 01:23 PM
I am trying to split a pasture using a portable electric fence I had. I just strung it in a straight line rather than a rectangle. I secured it by wrapping the electric braid wire around a wood fence board. Now I can't get my charger to make it "hot". Is the wood fence messing up the current?

ReSomething
Jul. 10, 2010, 02:00 PM
Yup, most likely. Unless you have one of those bipolar tape fences the circuit is complete when you touch the wire while standing on the dirt/paving/whathaveyou. There needs to be a ground buried in the dirt also. You have to nail an insulated eye or other fence insulator on the wooden fence (which is buried in the dirt and grounded), and tie to that, or it will act as a conductor. It's not a great conductor, but . . .
Once you get that part fixed, your charger could still be non-functional, but you won't know till then.

Meredith Clark
Jul. 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
My electric tape doesn't wrap back around to the start and I've never had an issue with it being hot. If I'm ready for a section to end I just wrap it around the last T-post i'm using. I have the normal 1 1/2 inch tape from tractor supply.

ReSomething
Jul. 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
MC, you wrap it around a metal t-post and it still works? It should short, same as if a branch fell on it.