PDA

View Full Version : Which One Would You Go With?

grabmaneandgo
Jul. 9, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have two barn plans that are in our budget and that will work with the existing building.

Which layout to you prefer and why?

Granted the 8' aisle is narrow, but we figured it would be a sacrifice in order to get bigger stalls which will be nice during those wintery New England days.

Option 1: http://www.thebarnworks.com/barn-30x20.jpg
This will have an overhang over the dutch doors.

Option 2: http://www.thebarnworks.com/barn-24x24.jpg
This will have an overhang over stalls B &C

Ready for your thoughts.

Hay storage will be in a half-loft above (not a lot of space, but again, it's all we can afford). There is another utility shed on the property not too far from the barn for tractor and such. Would like to store one wheelbarrow, a broom, and a pitchfork in the barn itself. Maybe a shelf for essentials.

Grain and supps, not sure where to put those, but we can use the existing structure for that ... which has heat, hw, and elec.

NE_Rider
Jul. 9, 2010, 05:02 PM
I would go with Option #1!!!!! Why...because I like it, it is much more open, looks easier to work in, etc.

sisu27
Jul. 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
Option #1.

I sort of don't get option #2. Seems less practical.

Gloria
Jul. 9, 2010, 05:46 PM
Definitely #1. Imagine how painful and frustrating it is to access the horse in Stall B in option #2. You will need to lead it out, walk all the way around just to get to the grooming area. Same for deliverying hay/grain.

hitchinmygetalong
Jul. 9, 2010, 05:56 PM
No contest. Option #1. It's more easily expandable, and if you want to have run outs it will be MUCH easier to fence.

Be careful with those dutch doors. Unless your base is VERY well done, when winter deep freezes hit the ground might heave in front of the doors and you will not be able to open them. I know this for a fact :mad:. Lesson learned!

Is this a free standing building or an addition?

pandorasboxx
Jul. 9, 2010, 06:03 PM
I like the set-up and workspace of Option 1 better. And as someone pointed out, you can add on to it more easily.

Option 2 just seems awkward.

grabmaneandgo
Jul. 9, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you! Option 1 was my choice too. I had to prove to a certain horse husband (who's well intentioned, but not so horsey) that Option 2 just won't fly--too awkward. Tongs a lot!

katarine
Jul. 9, 2010, 06:55 PM
Imagine feeding in the pouring rain. Or the slop that is a NE Spring Thaw.

Do you want to schlep buckets from Existing Shed to Option 1?

You need a bigger aisle than 8' (mine is 10 and my 16.2 mare fills it up, feels like)...

I would keep looking.

Calvincrowe
Jul. 9, 2010, 07:06 PM
Option 1, no question. 8 foot aisle is very doable, but not if you are a cross-tie and do things in the aisle person. Though, my SIL's barn is essentially design 1, and she has an 8 foot aisle that she cross ties in. Heck, she can back her truck loaded with hay down her aisle (might be a hair more than 8 feet..by an inch or two) with her mirrors folded in, in her full size Chevy 2500.

Plan, however, to tack up in your stall, for more space. Build an outdoor wash/tie rack--they are easy to do and very handy. With an overhang, you're all set. Build runs off your stalls and you have my SILs exact barn (hers is longer, but the stall area is the same).

CoolMeadows
Jul. 9, 2010, 07:28 PM
Option 1, hands down.

Option 2 would drive me crazy. If you move your walls for Stalls A & C each 2 feet over, you can make a 4' wide dutch door for Stall B but will end up with two 10x10' stalls and one 12x14'.

For feed, with just 3 horses you're probably not going through tons of grain, so I'd build a locking cabinet and put a bin or two big enough for 50-100lbs of grain in it, and a couple shelves for your supplements. Something 2.5' deep and 5' long would hold two bins, and you can build whatever type of lockable door you want. You could build something like the double door cabinets here: http://www.amishcountryproductsandmore.com/pinecabinets.html
Heck, you could even put a metal feed bin with supplement shelf above on one side, and two saddle racks on the other with a bridle rack on the door. If you have space in the loft, you could store a few weeks worth of grain at a time up there instead of multiple feed store trips.

Ditto watch out for dutch doors and freezing ground. Nothing makes me more pissed off than standing outside in a blizzard cursing and kicking at a door that won't move because the &*(&*ing frozen ground's swelled up. The guys that built my barn didn't consider that and the sliding doors at the front are hung too low. I keep a pick axe outside them in the winter so I can hack the ground away and get in in the mornings. Fun way to start the day...

dmalbone
Jul. 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
Oh goodness, #1 without a doubt!! I see no benefit to #2! Sure, an 8' aisle isn't great, but it's an aisle whereas you have nothing with the other. You will love the overhang over the dutch doors. My wussy, stall-loving horse stands under his all day. :)

dmalbone
Jul. 9, 2010, 11:38 PM
...and what size space are you working with? Are you adding onto an existing building or are you converting. People might have other ideas for you as well to maybe get a bigger aisle. I have a weird setup, but it works for me! We had to do 2 24' overhangs instead of 1 40', but it ended up better that way. I was just ecstatic to get 12x15 stalls because of nasty winters we get here.

MistyBlue
Jul. 9, 2010, 11:46 PM
Agree with everyone else...under roof enclosed space is *very* useful to have! :yes: Even if it isn't optimal size.

Is the building already up? If so, maybe post the dimensions? Quite a few people can help out with ideas on ways to maximize space. Years ago I got a bunch of PMs and posts from people giving me great ideas for the 24x40 I was planning to build. Ideas I never would have thought possible.

There's a lot of creative ways to use space in a barn.

You can also try out some designs to scale easily at www.fbibuildings.com (http://www.fbibuildings.com). There's a free dowload on there and has barn specs. You can type in the barn's dimensions and then there's a drop down list to click and drag in scale sized barn stuff such as doors, stalls in different sizes, stall doors and even stuff like wheelbarrows and horses so you can see how well the space might work.

Warning, it's an addictive site. I've designed a few different "If I Win Lotto" huge barn and indoor combo buildings on there! :winkgrin: (with living quarters no less!)

Janet
Jul. 10, 2010, 12:37 AM
I also prefer #1 (but the stalls seem to be 10x12 in both plans)

You need a place for stairs to the storage loft.

I would probably wall off the last 5-6 feet of the aisle for feed, etc.

HealingHeart
Jul. 10, 2010, 01:37 AM
Option 1, but if you can stretch the budget a little, it would be wise to allow for a truck in the aisle to unload hay-supplies in bad weather, so 10'. I like your thoughts on larger stalls and also like the overhang in O2. This would be helpful if they are forced to be in, you could leave the top dutch open for fresh air in bad weather.

This is the time to get the most in the build, even if it is only shell and then finish out.... not later... Also, make sure you have enough storage for hay in the event bad weather and you can not get in/out for awhile. PS: Can horses see one another in the row setup...

I have two barn plans that are in our budget and that will work with the existing building.

Which layout to you prefer and why?

Granted the 8' aisle is narrow, but we figured it would be a sacrifice in order to get bigger stalls which will be nice during those wintery New England days.

Option 1: http://www.thebarnworks.com/barn-30x20.jpg
This will have an overhang over the dutch doors.

Option 2: http://www.thebarnworks.com/barn-24x24.jpg
This will have an overhang over stalls B &C

Ready for your thoughts.

Hay storage will be in a half-loft above (not a lot of space, but again, it's all we can afford). There is another utility shed on the property not too far from the barn for tractor and such. Would like to store one wheelbarrow, a broom, and a pitchfork in the barn itself. Maybe a shelf for essentials.

Grain and supps, not sure where to put those, but we can use the existing structure for that ... which has heat, hw, and elec.

veezee
Jul. 11, 2010, 04:58 AM
I liked your option #1 the best but as others said if you can swing it you will be happier having those extra 2 feet for your aisle. Also if you can do your hay storage in a separate area away from the barn, that is a much safer way to do it for the sake of fire safety. Building a nice hay & grain storage at least 10 feet from the barn is better than having the hay in the barn if your budget and space allows it. If you need to keep the hay in the barn or not and you have enough set aside in the budget then you can put a sprinkler system in your barn which is a great fire safety addition. You can also then hook up the separate small hosing for a fly spray system that you and your horses will appreciate during those hot summer months when all the bugs come around. If you plan to have fans in your barn, during your building it would also be a good time for putting the wiring in for having safe overhead livestock fans rather than box fans that again can be another fire hazard. Having access to your stalls from the inside and outside is truly an excellent plan and your horses will love being able to hang their heads out the back doors to watch what is going on or doze in the sun. One more thing to think about is making sure you have plenty of covered electrical outlets in and around your barn. You will definitely appreciate having outlets available closeby when you need them. Good luck with your barn plans. It looks like you are going to have a great place for you and your horses.

Janet
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:55 AM
8' aisle doesn't bother me at all. The barn I grew up with had a 4' aisle, and it was not a major issue.

shakeytails
Jul. 11, 2010, 12:00 PM
Option 1. The other one is just weird.

anchodavis
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:58 PM
I think option 1 would be easier to work in, but there are no corners to store anything very wide... one tack trunk or feed bin and you've suddently got MUCH less useable space. I agree that it might not be a bad idea to keep looking. There are plenty of plans out there, or you can design your own and add on. One important point to keep in mind... it is very difficult to expand a barn width-wise because of the trusses (except for just adding a lean-to), but it's quite easy to expand them lengthwise. So figure out the minimum width you can live with and start there.
Also, if you go with option 1, you may find that you can add a couple feet to the aisle without making a huge difference in cost. Be sure to think about the things that will drive you crazy later on!

AnotherRound
Jul. 12, 2010, 03:10 PM
Option 1; #2 isn't even an option.

I would keep trying to find some kind of more space. The stalls aren't that big, and there is just no room outside them. Is there a reason you can't enlarge the footprint? Add on at one end? This is awkward and tight. Also, do you need three stalls? I'd rather make two larger ones and a work room/tackroom/storage area, if this is your limitation.

Trevelyan96
Jul. 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
Definitely Option #1. Its more easily expandable down the road. If you can, try to get another 2 feet for the aisle, this gives just enough room to pull in a full size pickup for hay / bedding delivery, etc. in bad weather.

I'd take a small section and build a feed storage bin. It only needs to be big enough for 2 - 3 full size rubbermaid type trash cans, which will hold 3 50 lb bags of most typical feeds each. You can also fit 1-2 bags of alfalfa cubes in one as well. Just be sure to have the ones with locking lids (to keep critters out) and store them in such a way that the horses can't get to them. A simple cabinet with doors usually works.

Agree, you will also want stairs to the hay storage, so if you build them, you can store the feed under the stairs and put simple doors up to keep horses out.

grabmaneandgo
Jul. 13, 2010, 07:49 PM
Okay, so Option 1 is what we are going with. It will be attached to an existing building that looks like a monitor barn, but is actually a guest cottage.

Here's a pic of the existing building to which the stalls will be added: http://www.thebarnworks.com/cottage.jpg

And here are more drawings I did: http://www.thebarnworks.com/barn-30x20.jpg

Considering money is an issue, what minimum depth overhang do you suggest?

The reason we need three stalls is that my retired QH is herd-bound. If I take my ArabX out to an event, show, or even a hack alone, my QH will have a little freakout. If he were younger I would work with him on that, but since he's a senior, I thought it best to add a third, smaller stall for some kind of companion animal. Perhaps a pony for my daughter, a donkey, goat, something.

If it turns out that my QH can deal with being left alone for a while, then I will use the smaller stall for storage. Plus, I would like to have some space in a pinch for emergencies, rescues, or even friends that trailer down for some riding at the beach.

Also, adding the stalls to the existing structure is our only placement option because we have a small property. The setback requirements with the property lines limit our footprint for the stalls to 29 feet wide by 26 feet deep--including the overhang. So that's a challenge, too.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 14, 2010, 12:44 PM
Okay, so Option 1 is what we are going with. It will be attached to an existing building that looks like a monitor barn, but is actually a guest cottage.

Here's a pic of the existing building to which the stalls will be added: http://www.thebarnworks.com/cottage.jpg

And here are more drawings I did: http://www.thebarnworks.com/barn-30x20.jpg

Considering money is an issue, what minimum depth overhang do you suggest?

The reason we need three stalls is that my retired QH is herd-bound. If I take my ArabX out to an event, show, or even a hack alone, my QH will have a little freakout. If he were younger I would work with him on that, but since he's a senior, I thought it best to add a third, smaller stall for some kind of companion animal. Perhaps a pony for my daughter, a donkey, goat, something.

If it turns out that my QH can deal with being left alone for a while, then I will use the smaller stall for storage. Plus, I would like to have some space in a pinch for emergencies, rescues, or even friends that trailer down for some riding at the beach.

Also, adding the stalls to the existing structure is our only placement option because we have a small property. The setback requirements with the property lines limit our footprint for the stalls to 29 feet wide by 26 feet deep--including the overhang. So that's a challenge, too.

Charming! Totally agree with the option one choice. What direction will the overhang face?