PDA

View Full Version : Third strike... I'm out. Done.

JoZ
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:08 PM
How can a single person -- and three poor dogs -- be so freakin' cursed.

I am a cat person by nature but love dogs. I have the perfect set-up for a barn/farm dog (not so much a house dog, but the climate here means a dog can live outside and be with me/people while barn chores and such are done). I got my first dog about two years ago. She never really worked out as a farm dog (cat chaser, hated riding in the truck/car, etc.) but I loved her.

Then things went to hell. She ended up being severely dog-aggressive and the liability was too great. She KILLED two dogs. I tried 100 things over quite a bit of time and ended up having her put down.

My friend had gotten a puppy to be a barn dog (same barn) and then heard through a friend about a young boxer that was destined for the pound, family could not keep. Friend got the boxer and gave me the puppy once I had Jolene put to sleep. I had Shelby for three days before she darted under the wheel of the farm owner's truck (in the driveway -- going 1-2 mph) and was killed instantly.

At that time I said "never again". But now, a year later, I saw ads for a litter of puppies. Mix of basset hound, border collie and golden retriever. Cute as the dickens and laid back, sleepy. So I got Biscuit about a month ago.

Biscuit was stolen from the kennel while I was at work yesterday. I'm assuming theft because there were other puppies in with him (friend is a breeder so some of her young ones were keeping him company). The other puppies are much smaller and livelier and THEY were still in the kennel. It is inconceivable that Biscuit could have gotten under or over the kennel without (a) leaving a sign or (b) having the other puppies leave with him. Also, if the inconceivable had happened and he DID get out, just him, I am sure he would have just hung around the kennel where his buddies were.

I think someone just walked into the barn and took him. The farm has lots of people coming and going but no one actually needs to go into the barn that my friends and I lease -- not to say they don't.

I am heartbroken. I will never get a dog again, it is obviously not meant to be. People suck. Or life sucks, one or the other or both.

AChestnutMare&ABlonde
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:23 PM
Oh my gosh!! I'm so sorry to hear about all of that! I wouldn't say you aren't meant to have a dog, but...with the circumstances being the way they are I completely understand how you feel. It was such a shame about each and every one of them. Hopefully Biscuit will turn up soon. Have you put up signs or anything? I know you said the chances are slim, but I just couldn't just sit back and assume the worst and just not do anything about it. Did anyone know about the puppies being there? If it's a private facility I would assess every possible outcome before giving up.

Good luck with everything and even if you're not meant to own puppies, well...all the more room for mini ponies or donkies! Atleast I would say...:D

SonnysMom
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your doggie troubles.
Hopefully Biscuit will turn up. Jingles for you.

If you do decide to try another dog is maybe you can adopt an adult dog that has already been a barn dog so is farm savvy and as an adult less likely to be a target for thiefs.

JoZ
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:50 PM
Have you put up signs or anything? I know you said the chances are slim, but I just couldn't just sit back and assume the worst and just not do anything about it. Did anyone know about the puppies being there? If it's a private facility I would assess every possible outcome before giving up.

Have not put up signs -- we don't have too many neighbors, really, and have spoken to each of them individually. I've been calling animal control, and looking on Craigslist for "found" OR "needs a home" puppies.

It's sort of a private farm, but it is a working farm, and people have various businesses on the property that require other people to visit, if that makes any sense. Neighbors coming over to make hay, a guy having something welded by the guy who does welding, etc. Very isolated yet oddly busy at times -- which, sadly, is pretty much the perfect set-up for theft. I often wonder if anyone would notice or interfere if someone came in the middle of the day with a horse trailer, parked it at our barn, and started loading up.

We searched for hours. The only thing I have not done is look in the places where he would surely be dead. Like the pond... have not dragged the pond :eek:. Yelled near the pond, listened for any sound.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 9, 2010, 04:00 PM
Oh dear, my heart breaks for you on all counts. I don't have any other words of wisdom to add, just wanted to send my sympathies.

ponymom64
Jul. 9, 2010, 04:03 PM
I'm so sorry - my heart is breaking for you

Zu Zu
Jul. 9, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hugs for you ~ how TERRIBLE ~ hoping Biscuit is returned somehow or some way ~

Brockstables
Jul. 9, 2010, 06:30 PM
Can't hurt to post signs around the farm for a few days (ask permission, if you are leasing), and perhaps offer a reward ($50 might just do it, for his safe return). Assume he is lost, and whomever 'found' him will bring him back to you. Mention it EVERYWHERE you go, describe him, carry a picture if you have one. Someone will see something if he is out and about.
Sorry you have to go through this. Hope you find him safe and sound soon!

Laurierace
Jul. 9, 2010, 07:04 PM
I am so sorry. I think I would have called the police. Not sure if its too late to report it now or not. Anytime someone enters a place they do not belong that is trespassing at least and robbery at the most. There may be other stuff missing that you haven't noticed yet or it might have been a trial run and they are going to come back and steal everything. Yuck, best of luck to you.

hitchinmygetalong
Jul. 9, 2010, 07:47 PM
First, I have to say I do hope that Biscuit shows up, but the circumstances of his disappearance are so suspicious, I fear your first thought (that he was stolen) may be correct. Let's all hope he has a loving home.

Secondly, I think you are right to take a break. Just forget about "owning" a dog for a while. I predict that at just the right moment, just the right dog will wander into your life, or you into his. You never know when it might happen, and the important thing is to just let it.

Jingles for Biscuit, and best wishes for you and your badly bent but not broken heart. There is room in there for "the dog", he just hasn't happened into your life yet.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

CelticRiverDance
Jul. 9, 2010, 10:48 PM
How sad. I'm sorry to hear about this. Just to play it safe though, I would contact the shelters/ASPCA/Humane Society in your area. Just in case he either liberated himself or was liberated by someone else. Jingles for you and your puppy.

kookicat
Jul. 10, 2010, 02:35 PM
That just sucks. :( I would put posters up- someone might have seen what happened.