PDA

View Full Version : Calling all organic gardeners - fire ants??

SkipHiLad4me
Jul. 8, 2010, 09:24 PM
I have a 4'x8' raised garden and the hateful fireants have infiltrated my serene little vegetable haven. I'm so sad :no: I wasn't too worried about them until they attacked my okra plants and ate my baby okra :mad: We managed to keep everything organic thus far so I don't know what to do now! I'm thinking of using a bait around the peremeter of the garden and possibly some inside the garden. I *really* don't want to use a contact insecticide if possible because I have quite a few garden spiders living inside my garden that I don't want to harm. Any organic gardeners out there with experience with fire ants??

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jul. 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
If you sufficiently disturb the mound, they will move.:) This is why people think all these odd things work on fire ants - grits, dishwater, whatever. They pour it on the mound, disturb the ants, and the ants move.

Then, once they move away from your garden and Charlotte and her sisters, you can get out the Amdro Pro and kill the evil things.:winkgrin:

I have also heard of people just digging up the mound - but I can't imagine how one goes about that without getting eaten up.:eek:

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 8, 2010, 09:47 PM
Use the Amdro Pro, it will not have any impact on the spiders, it is a fire ant bait, they take it down into the mound, eat it and die. I've used cheaper products that were advertised as equally effective, but I find the Amdro really does work better.

SkipHiLad4me
Jul. 8, 2010, 09:57 PM
Definitely have some Amdro on hand :yes: works well for when those hateful things get in my flower beds! :mad: Sounds like I may have to break it out if there are no other options. Man I hate fire ants!!

pAin't - I'm with you... you'd have to be somewhat mentally unstable to purposefully dig up a fire ant mound! :eek:

Catersun
Jul. 8, 2010, 11:25 PM
organic, my orkin guy that I hired to kill Mutha Finging Ants told me the best thing to use is cinnamon... haven't tried it, but if you want to try organic first that would be interesting to see if it works.

LauraKY
Jul. 9, 2010, 10:26 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but in a book I have called "Backyard Problem Solver", all natural remedies it says to try:

Ant Control Tonic
1 cup of sugar
3 cups of water
1 Tbsp. boric acid powder

Add sugar to water and bring to boil. Add the boric acid. Put in jar lids and set them in the middle of ant trails or near anthills. Store liquid in child safe container out of reach of children and pets.

The other is Ant Ambrosia:
4 - 5 Tbsp. cornmeal
3 Tbsp. bacon grease
3 Tbsp. baking powder
3 packages baker's yeast
Mix into a past. Dab the gooey mix on the sides of jar lids and set them near anthills.
I guess the yeast and baking powder makes their little tummies explode.

Keep both of the above away from pets.

I've never tried the above, but everything else I've tried in the book does work.

Got rid of the mosquitoes in my yard with a combo of Lemon Joy and lemon ammonia in a garden sprayer.

Blue Yonder
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:43 PM
There are a couple of easy organic options.

One of my favorite ant killers is Orange Oil. Nothing but oil pressed out of orange peels. You dilute it a bunch (1:10? 1:20?) with water and pour it on. It dissolves ant exoskeletons, I believe. Takes maybe 10 minutes and they're dead as a doornail. I use it indoors for ants, but it can go outside too. Nontoxic, and leaves such a lovely orangey smell!! :D

You can get it through garden centers, especially those with an organic leaning.

Down here, we also use a product called "Anti-Fuego," produced and sold through a company called GardenVille. THE BEST stuff ever. It has orange oil, molasses, and various other stuff that kills ants and conditions soil. I actually look forward to finding ant mounds in our yard, just so I can use it. :cool:

SkipHiLad4me
Jul. 13, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far! I look forward to giving them a try. :yes: