PDA

View Full Version : Building sliding barn doors

wsmoak
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
Another thread had a picture of gorgeous sliding barn doors.

Does anyone have a source for the hardware for these?

And tips on building them yourselves?

We're looking to enclose a 48' opening and thinking two 12' sliding doors would be nice, so 12' framed wall on each side, and two doors that slide out.

And this will be practice for the barn we're building :)

Thoughts?

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:43 PM
I was just quoted about a grand to build 4 simple doors like that for my barn, and the track is already there, so all he had to get was the rollers and the wood and labor to build them. They were simple doors (no windows or anything).

Since they would be open almost all the time as my horses have free access to the barn 24x7, I decided to pass on them for the time being.

Bluey
Jul. 8, 2010, 03:01 PM
Sliding doors look nice and can finish a fancy barn well, but we had sliding doors in barns and they were a pain in the back, literally, to open and close.
We finally got smart enough and put garage style doors in ours and wonder why it took us so long to figure that out.:lol:

They have today very pretty garage style doors, some that look like the fanciest sliding doors, but roll up just with a flick of the wrist on a well oiled chain, even in snow and ice, unlike those x@y@z sliding doors we had to fight for so many years.
Even our very large Quonset barn rollup door, 19' by 14' ,works easily manually, don't even need an electric hoist, but those are really nice to have for barns where many come and go.

If your doors have any size to them, consider other than sliding doors.:yes:

shakeytails
Jul. 8, 2010, 03:38 PM
Use the round rollers and track- Cannonball is one brand- they slide easier, especially important with heavy doors.

One of our barn doors is build out of steel studs- extremely easy to get square and quite light, even with plywood attached to the inside surface. Rot-proof, too!

The other doors are 2x6 framed because we didn't have enough steel studs (they were free leftovers from a construction job DH was on). Both sets are lined with plywood. The back door has barn metal on it, the front door tongue and groove beadboard painted to match the metal, and windows.

You can buy metal door kits- my neighbor bought one from the company he bought the barn metal from. DH helped put the things together and cussed them the whole time- but once they were put together they worked fine.

I thought about garage doors, but custom sizes are $$$$$. And you can't have them open just a little like you can with sliders.

Munchkins Mom- $1000 to build 4 sliders isn't unreasonable. There's probably almost $500 in material alone, and they're really a PITA to build and hang.

Benson
Jul. 8, 2010, 03:58 PM
Here is a picture of our barn, pre-sliding doors. We built 5' wide sliding doors, used the Cannonball hardware. The are exactly like the door on the right side of the barn, only larger.

To build them we used 1" rough hewn pine boards for the exterior and for the interior, we used 1" x 10" shiplap pine. The exterior boards are vertical and the interior are horizontal. They are extremely heavy, but with the heavy duty hardware, they slide easily. We left a gap at the bottom to allow for concrete in the barn alley.

http://alisonhowardspictures.shutterfly.com/1213

BeastieSlave
Jul. 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
This site has some pretty hardware: http://www.barndoorhardware.com/?wm_crID=1724257&wm_lpID=11134861&wm_ctID=65&wm_kwID=8185163&wm_mtID=2&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=2679469667&wm_g_kw=sliding+door+hardware&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&gclid=CIb69P_l3KICFSUXswodojqlAw&wm_kw=sliding+door+hardware

We've used Stanley hardware on sliders before and I think we just got it through our contractor supply place....

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 9, 2010, 01:19 PM
My BO is a builder and they have both types of door on the indoor/attached building. The garage door is insulated and is on the insulated building. I'm sure they used sliders elsewhere because of cost savings.

He's put up a lot of sheds and I was an avid student. These were things he pointed out:

1. The doors need to lock in place when open and closed. Wind is the enemy of sliding doors.

2. All the sliding doors, regardless of size, have a cement pad/strip poured on the inside on the ground. I assume so the doors have something to "lock" to. I do recall he said this is what will make them last and stay nice. The horses don't mind it at all.

3. The HUGE (think combine, full sized, boom, etc.) machine doors on the end of the arena attach together in the middle, lock on each far side to the shed and during a wind storm they added a chain (lagged directly into the cement) at the bottom that additionally locks the bottom of the doors to the ground.

We had no problems with snow and got a ton last year. Our doors slide at the top.

Ours our super easy to slide--even the mega doors. No idea what kind of hardware, I imagine it is whatever the lumber mill uses.

Tom King
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:30 PM
Stay away from the hardware sold in TSC and farm suppliers. I've seen plenty of BIG sliding doors that are easy to operate on airplane hangers, Zoos, and even horse barns. Unfortunately, the hardware that will roll a heavy door easily and for a long time is not cheap. It requires a heavy track-much heavier than the typical folded metal tracks, and rollers with real precision ball bearings oversized for the load.

http://www.rwhardware.com/ Download their catalog and poke around in the sliding door hardware section. I wasn't able to copy and paste a link to a single page by itself. They sell everything you need including latches and different setups for holding the bottoms in place. They even offer it in stainless steel for zoos.

Luckydonkey
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:35 PM
I just built my own sliding doors- the hardware to hang them was more expensive than building the doors- it cost me less than $50 each to build 2 6X7 doors- ( 2X6 lumber, screws, corner bracing brackets, and center brace brackets, and metal siding) the brackets are from home depot and make it super easy to square things up. like building brackets for dummies,lol... I am now building 2 8X12 doors....

JumpinBeans81
Jul. 18, 2010, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would take a good look at Triton Barns. They can build anything...and high quality too. the owner, Curtis is budget minded which is nice. I have used them for several projects and can not praise them enough. They use Cannonball tracks...which are effortless (and come with a lifetime warranty!!) and an added bonus is that everything they make has a 25 year rust free warranty too. Call them up, I think you will be surprised...I was!!!

here's their website: www.tritonbarns.com

kdow
Jul. 18, 2010, 11:26 PM
If you're expecting to have to fully shut up the barn a lot (in the winter, for example) it might be an idea to also consider having a door-within-a-door on one of the sliding doors - it lets you pop in to check on things or feed or what have you without having to move the sliding door. (Which can be a pain in the rear in the winter, particularly if you secure it well and just want to get in for a night check or something.)

Of course, if you have a people-sized door elsewhere, that's not an issue, but if the sliding doors will be the only access, then I'd look into it. (It was certainly very handy on the one barn I went to that had it - seemed to keep the barn warmer, also.)