PDA

View Full Version : No-climb fencing?

fordtraktor
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:40 PM
My new farm has no-climbish fencing, the kind with small rectangles at the bottom and larger ones at the top. I automatically assumed it was awful horse fence as I've seen a horse string himself through regular cattle mesh before and it was a disaster. But I see several posters on the fencing thread actually prefer the stuff. Is is safer than I think? I already have a pair of wire cutters mounted beside the barn door and I don't even have the horses here yet.

I was planning on replacing this fall with coated hot wire. Am I crazy? The fence is otherwise tight and in good repair, probably 6-7 years old.

Pennywell Bay
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:43 PM
I have the no climb. Mine rectangles are all the same size but it has been extremely safe for my horses. I have had 5 foals grow up in it and have had no issues. I actually really like it. I have a board on top of mine and strung hot wire up between two of the fields. Mine is about 5 years old.

shakeytails
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'd leave it, but then I have regular cattle mesh. I also have large pastures and sensible horses that aren't bent on hurting themselves, and none have shoes to get caught in the fence should they decide to stick a foot through.

I prefer any type of "solid" fence to wire- coated or not. It's a barrier that they tend to respect more, and mesh fence will deter stray dogs.

ponygirl
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:53 PM
That sounds like field fencing. No-climb has the same sized rectangles from top to bottom. My next door neighbor has field fencing. She has no issues but they have a hot wire on the top of her fence.

wsmoak
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:59 PM
My new farm has no-climbish fencing, the kind with small rectangles at the bottom and larger ones at the top. I automatically assumed it was awful horse fence as I've seen a horse string himself through regular cattle mesh before and it was a disaster. But I see several posters on the fencing thread actually prefer the stuff. Is is safer than I think? I already have a pair of wire cutters mounted beside the barn door and I don't even have the horses here yet.

I was planning on replacing this fall with coated hot wire. Am I crazy? The fence is otherwise tight and in good repair, probably 6-7 years old.

How big are the rectangles? That sounds like field fence, which they can get their hooves in.

Depending on how suicidal your herd is ;) if it's in good shape, I'd run a couple of strands of hot wire or tape inside it before I'd go ripping it all out and replacing it.

katarine
Jul. 7, 2010, 04:41 PM
What you describe is called Hog Wire around here. I HATE it. It loves to catch and pull shoes off, it loves to provide a good scratchy surface so they rub on it and stretch it. It loves to be trodden down and grazed over, thus catching hooves.

IF it is in good repair and weed/vine/jungle free, invest in offset insulators and hot fence of your choice and leave it up. It should help keep kids and dogs out.