PDA

View Full Version : Acckkkkk! Fruit Flies!

theoldgreymare
Jul. 7, 2010, 11:11 AM
So we have been busy with the fruits of our labor, so to speak. The influx of fresh veggies from the garden into the house has also brought a host of fruit flies. I can't stand the little buggers. I am currently using the old red wine/dish soap trap but they don't seem to like Cab Sauv this year so it is not working well. Anyone have any good home remedies to trap/kill them?

jackalini
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:01 PM
Take a glass, bowl, tupperware, et al and place a piece of fruit - peeled orange, cut up apple, whatever you may have...and rotten is FINE...and cover the top with plastic wrap. Then poke tiny holes in the top. Make sure the rest of the container is tightly sealed.

They figure out how to get in there to eat but for whatever reason cannot figure out how to get out. I usually just take them outside and let them go, but be sure your door is closed first. ;)

SuperSTB
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
So we have been busy with the fruits of our labor, so to speak. The influx of fresh veggies from the garden into the house has also brought a host of fruit flies. I can't stand the little buggers. I am currently using the old red wine/dish soap trap but they don't seem to like Cab Sauv this year so it is not working well. Anyone have any good home remedies to trap/kill them?

They will also establish breeding in drains and potting soil. We had this happen in an office building. We bleach and covered all drains each night, all the potted plants had the soil covered with plastic wrap. All food had to be kept in sealed containers. Royal PITA but after a week or two the flies were gone. I was told that it's not really treatable with 'pesticides or spraying persay' by a couple different pest control companies.

theoldgreymare
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks folks! The fruit/plastic wrap thing is similar to the red wine thing I'm doing, I will just substitute the booze with a nice piece of fruit and see how that goes.

CatOnLap
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:29 PM
although they say you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, vinegar is a rather good attractant for fruit flies- with a couple drops of dishsoap so they drown. And change it every day because the flies stop being atracted to it if there are too many dead ones- I guess they don't like the protein smell?

Anyway, its a lot cheaper than using wine. Save that for yourself to help you not notice them so much- IME there is nothing short of a nuclear explosion or a cold winter with a broken furnace, that will eliminate them completely.

Oh and I think the ones that live in drains and potting soil are actually fungus gnats, not fruitflies. it's fairly easy to kill those ones by brewing a tea out of old cigarette butts and drenching the soil of the pots with it. Doesn't harm the plants at all but nicotine is deadly to fungus gnats.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jul. 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
As a fruit fly person, this is what we do in lab:

Get a wide mouthed bottle or jar. Put about an inch of cheap beer or wine in there - the cheaper the better (replenish as it dries out). We have funnels but you can roll a piece of paper to make a funnel so that they can go in but can't figure out how to get out.

Put them all over. Empty of dead flies.

The end.

wateryglen
Jul. 10, 2010, 09:48 AM
I used Simple Green also per an exterminators recs. Pour some down all your drains and leave over night. Or can use bleach. All soda cans must not be left in house. Anything w/sweet needs to be disposed of immediatly outside. Close up all trash bags tight/even double bag. Kitchen bags out daily.
Every summer I fight them too. Have to put garbage on porch and not outside because of the critters.

JanM
Jul. 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
To prevent this from happening again, just wash the outside of all fruit, vegetables, or any other organics before bringing in the house. Or wash the second you come inside-especially grocery store fruit or veggies. Fruitflies have a very short life span if I remember correctly (Geek will certainly know this), and if you have them around for a long time then they are breeding somewhere in the house like SuperSTB said. There are similar bugs that breed in the garbage disposal--to clean that take the rubber thing out (it comes out easily on modern ones), clean the inside with a scrubby pad and lots of liquid soap, and make sure you clean every surface of the rubber drain thing too (and I mean every surface top, bottom, inside, outside) rinse well and you should be good.

And it's worse when you get weevils-they breed in dog biscuits, flour, cake mixes, and almost any other wheat or corn type cereal or meal type material Years ago my parents' house was infested with them, and we found three sources-hideously outdated seed type spices that were in a open container, dog biscuits, and cottonseed meal. THey're the reason that all pet foods and biscuits in my house are put in solid plastic snap top containers (actually I think snap top is the brand name). You'll still see weevils but they'll be inside the container and you can see them pretty easily, and they'll eventually morph into a really ugly moth type creature that leaves really disgusting webs behind. To me the obvious source of these is that the eggs are already in the item, and eventually they hatch, and you never know how old the stuff you buy really is.