PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Rid of Fleas in a Barn?

bludejavu
Jul. 7, 2010, 12:09 AM
The problem began last summer and we sprayed with Talstar which was recommended by several people who had a similar problem. They were bad last year but we thought we got them all killed off. What I think happened is that we didn't kill off the larvae and this year is a nightmare!

This is our broodmare barn and we are not breeding right now but would like to keep a couple of retirees down there. We have been spraying with liquid Sevin for the past week and have seen little to no knockdown, using it full strength as recommended in the instructions. It's so bad we have to launder our clothes the minute we come back to our house because we are covered in them. I am getting desperate - anybody else have this problem and conquer it? Should we give up and call a professional exterminator?

shakeytails
Jul. 7, 2010, 01:59 AM
If you can close up your barn sorta tight and it isn't huge, try Raid fumigators. The smoke gets into all the nooks and crannies and it seems to have a little bit of residual effect. They're a little more expensive than foggers (about $13 for a 3-pack) but they work great. I can't say I've ever used them in a barn, but I've used them in outbuildings to kill creepy crawly things as well as in the house.

Go Fish
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:38 AM
Well, bleach works so long as you don't mind things changing color a bit. I don't remember the formula of water to bleach. I'll bet you can Google it.

Alagirl
Jul. 7, 2010, 09:01 AM
don't forget to spray the outside, grass etc, too

bludejavu
Jul. 7, 2010, 01:26 PM
Shakeytails - unfortunately one entire end of this barn is open for equipment & the hay stacker to be able to come in. This barn is a dual purpose barn with one side of it devoted to mare stalls. So I can't close it up enough to use a bomb or fumigator unfortunately.

Go Fish - the bleach idea sounds worth a try and I am not at all familiar with it so I will Google it. Since I'm only spraying the dirt floor and matted floors in the stalls, I don't think too much will bleach out.

Alagirl - we definitely have been spraying around the perimeter of the barn and coming out to about 15 or 20 feet. Apparently it's illegal to broadcast Sevin on yards since the instructions say it is, but I figured 15 feet around a barn didn't quality as a yard per se.;) It seems they have built up an immunity to the Sevin and I guess we must be breeding super-fleas (just our luck).

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Horsegal984
Jul. 7, 2010, 01:35 PM
Actually lots of flysprays will kill them too. Horse fly sprays contain pyrethrins, which kill fleas. Whatever you do you will have to treat every 3 weeks for 3 months at least to control the population.

When we moved into the house we're in now the yard and house were really infested. We found a lawn care granule at Lowes that had imidicloprid in it, which is whats in Advantage. We usd those to treat the yard every 3 weeks and it reall helped. Plus they were pretty cost efficient.

Calamber
Jul. 7, 2010, 06:07 PM
I used Diazinon sp? granules in a flea infested yard. Spread it very liberally and repeated in 10 days. Gone.

bludejavu
Jul. 7, 2010, 06:28 PM
Actually lots of flysprays will kill them too. Horse fly sprays contain pyrethrins, which kill fleas. Whatever you do you will have to treat every 3 weeks for 3 months at least to control the population.

When we moved into the house we're in now the yard and house were really infested. We found a lawn care granule at Lowes that had imidicloprid in it, which is whats in Advantage. We usd those to treat the yard every 3 weeks and it reall helped. Plus they were pretty cost efficient.

My husband is headed by Home Depot to see if he can find the lawn care granules. Since we don't have any animals in the barn right now, we're going to spread those around if he can find them.

Still considering the bleach solution as well.

We tried Diazinon last year before going with the Talstar. It seemed to have some effect but we were trying to find something more effective since we had animals down there then. We can't believe we went for nearly 13 years with no fleas and within 2 years, they are here by the thousands!

DressageFancy
Jul. 7, 2010, 07:28 PM
I know you've got to do something chemical right now because of how many fleas you are dealing with. But, after you get them knocked down, you might want to consider a few resident chickens. My chickens sure do a good job on the flea population! They must be tasty little things and, as another plus, chickens help keep down the flys. Just kind of a natural way to attack the bugs if you don't want to continusely use chemicals. Also, it is possible that you need an exterminator for rats that you aren't seeing. Rats are major contributers to flee infestations.

tallyho392
Jul. 7, 2010, 07:45 PM
this year we are trying something different for fleas.....anything that contains SPINOSAD.........the active ingredient in the comfortis flea tabs to be given to dogs orally......
i cannot recall all the specifics about the spinosad, so just google it, and several manufacturers come up, and there is an explaination about it.......it is a "natural" product, but then again, so is foxglove, so not sure if that means much.......but read about it...............NOTHING works here, guess the fleas are pretty much immune after 30 yrs.........but this is a veggie and plants spray, not marketed as a flea spray, but will do the trick....................buy the concentrate and one of those sprayers that connect to the hose..........
seems to work well for us so far....used in the door yard and play yard, walkways, etc

Foxtrot's
Jul. 10, 2010, 08:18 PM
It's not a problem we have here but I've been wondering abut cedar oil spray for flies, and cedar is used in pet bedding - so cedar sawdust might do it.

bludejavu
Jul. 11, 2010, 02:11 PM

Just wanted to say thank-you to you - we found a Bayer product with inidicloprid in it and after several sprayings, it is getting rid of them. We have been attempting for the past month to knock them down with no results from anything. The Bayer stuff is really good!