PDA

View Full Version : Billions of flies!

foundationmare
Jul. 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
I am a boarder in a self-care barn that is owned by a young couple who aren't horsey but have their hearts in the right place, work hard, and have been very generous and wonderful with me. I like this barn and I like them.

The barn is a cinder-block structure with drywall ceilings over the stalls and shedrow. Parts of the ceiling are missing, but I'm not concerned about that. Now that the temps are skyrocketing, I've noticed that the upper reaches of the barn are vibrating/screaming/buzzing with presumably flies. It's very disconcerting and I don't know if it's something I should be concerned about. BO is aware of the sound and knows what it is about. There are not a lot of flies in the stalls. There's something that keeps them up in the higher reaches.

I'm concerned that, if there was a major effort to kill the flies, there would be a disgustingly humungous die-off that would impact the stall areas. The barn has many empty stalls and I could move my horses just about anywhere within the barn.

My questions are: Has anyone experienced a gigantic fly population in the barn? How have you dealt with it? Is there an immediate danger to my horses? (although I've been keeping a close eye on the fly population in the barn/their stalls). If I crank my Ipod up I'm not aware of the "heavenly" flies, but if I'm au natureal...holy smokes... loud and kinda' creepy!

Plumcreek
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:15 PM
Are you sure the sound is not yellowjacket wasps? Wasps love to build nests in places like attics.

You can buy a hand held fly spray fog machine and fog the attic through a hose, or order several huge cans of the farm and dairy aerosol fly spray in livestock catalogs, or several large cans or Raid flying insect spray at WalMart.

Flies would stay in the attic if it was warm on cool days and nights, but would also come down into the stalls. I have many hundreds die off at once with my auto fly spray system and there is no smell.

TrueColours
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
I put the fly bait down on the ground and hundreds die off there as well each day I do so, plus with the hanging sticky strips, you get hundreds of pissed off buzzing flies getting stuck to them before they die off

I have noticed a huge decrease in the fly population in the barn so it seems to be working!

pj
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:20 PM
Sounds as if you might have carpenter bees...those suckers do raise a ruckus.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 7, 2010, 05:45 AM
I remember when I lived in Watertown NY that our old house would have these massive "bloom's" of flies in the upstairs called "cluster flies." There would be an unbelievable number of them up against the windows....like something out of a horror movie. It was a regional thing apparently. I'd just bug bomb the room and kill them.

Rabtfarm
Jul. 7, 2010, 07:28 AM
Just in case they are actually flies: are the owners aware of Spalding Fly Predators? We use them and have very few flies..even during this heat wave. And the cost is only about $18 a month during the fly season.

theoldgreymare
Jul. 7, 2010, 11:07 AM
Could also be mud daubs.....they like to build high and are very noisy. No telling for sure what they are until someone gets up there and looks ;).

Lady Counselor
Jul. 7, 2010, 11:12 AM
The predators are fabulous! We have almost 0 flies now. I get predators every three weeks, in quantites to decimate the general population. This is imperative to us being as our home and business are close to the barn area and I can't afford to have that problem.
I also have the manure pile removed regularly, and keep paddocks and stalls cleaned daily.

StGermain
Jul. 7, 2010, 12:37 PM
Do the fly predators work on the enormous, bitey deer flies? What about the greenies?

I've more or less made up my mind to try the predators next year - I think it's too late this year to do any good.

StG

Lady Counselor
Jul. 7, 2010, 02:46 PM
They take care of stable flies, not the others. And you are correct, they have to be started early in the season. I run April to October here in New England. 4 weeks intervals weren't good enough so I went to 3. That seems to work. Took advantage of double up early bird offer and doubled most of my order for $0, only paid for one or two months doubling up. Great investment.
I use Spaulding.