PDA

View Full Version : Cedar oil fly repellant

Foxtrot's
Jul. 6, 2010, 05:44 PM
A while ago there was talk on this forum about using cedar oil as a spray in the barn to deter flies.

Did anybody try it, any success?

Melelio
Jul. 7, 2010, 04:59 PM
I made up a batch of horse and people spray, because I read that cedarwood repels mosquitos (which think I taste EXQUISITE!)...

So far on people it does work pretty well, though the little biters find spots I missed spraying and get me anyhow. They no longer feast on me.

I tried the spray (which is cedarwood, eucalyptus, citronella, a bit of lemongrass, some dish soap, some coconut stuff, and some soy lecithin - all in water to bind together) on my horse on trail last week. It's deerfly season here and 3 weeks ago they were vicious. He only had two try to eat him, and those on his earpieces of his face thingy....

Either that or they knew I had my new and lethal eco-friendly fly whisk in my hand to schwack em with!

So, still not sure how great it is; I'll keep trying and let ya know.

StGermain
Jul. 7, 2010, 08:58 PM
This was the worse year for flies that I can remember. I was going crazy, and so were the horses. I was using Ultrashield, but I might as well have been using sugar water. I remembered two weeks ago that I'd bought some stuff for $3 at a rescue fund-raising yard sale, and decided to try it. It was LiquidNet (http://www.equinedirect.net/Equine_Fly_Spray_p/f209.htm), and it's made all the difference. At least I think it's the spray. It's also been drier for the last couple weeks, but the fly spray is the only thing I'm doing differently. The main ingredients are citronella oil, cedarwood oil, lemongrass oil and geraniol.

StG

elite equine
Jul. 10, 2010, 01:30 PM
I made up a batch of horse and people spray, because I read that cedarwood repels mosquitos (which think I taste EXQUISITE!)...

So far on people it does work pretty well, though the little biters find spots I missed spraying and get me anyhow. They no longer feast on me.

I tried the spray (which is cedarwood, eucalyptus, citronella, a bit of lemongrass, some dish soap, some coconut stuff, and some soy lecithin - all in water to bind together) on my horse on trail last week. It's deerfly season here and 3 weeks ago they were vicious. He only had two try to eat him, and those on his earpieces of his face thingy....

Either that or they knew I had my new and lethal eco-friendly fly whisk in my hand to schwack em with!

So, still not sure how great it is; I'll keep trying and let ya know.
I use cedar shavings in my stalls and it does help keep the flies away and makes my barn smell good all the time!