PDA

View Full Version : How long do your fans last?

equusvilla
Jul. 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
Just curious... how long do your barn/stall fans last. We run ours in the summer during the day when we are there...not 24/7.

edited to add - they are the round metal fans that are afixed above the stalls - not plastic box fans.

sublimequine
Jul. 6, 2010, 03:37 PM
The last one I had mounted in a stall was on during the same times you describe, when the horse is in the stall during the day and someone's around. So maybe 6 hours a day, every day?

It lasted 2-3 years.

MistyBlue
Jul. 6, 2010, 04:20 PM
Mine are on year 6 and working beautifully.

Zu Zu
Jul. 6, 2010, 07:27 PM
Literally for years ~ Patton fans ~ well over 16 years for mine and going strong ~ some of mine are 1994 models.... I always write the year purchased on the fan and the horse's name for documentation & for cleaning & storage and re-hanging each spring ~

Frank B
Jul. 7, 2010, 09:05 AM
If they have the totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motors, they should last for years. Check to see if they require periodic oiling, though.

walkinthewalk
Jul. 7, 2010, 09:23 AM
My fans are on timers and have been going strong for seven seasons.

That includes two house fans overhead. The four floor model house fans got replaced by three big tub fans, as money permitted.

They all can get put into service when we put hay in to help dry it out and keep air flowing (barn fires not welcome)

To-date on the big green tub fans hubby has had to tighten the belts on all of them, and hard-wired one to run continually when the switch went bad.

The continuous running is irrelevant because it's on a timer anyway.

Otherwise, the most we've ever done is blow the dust out of the fans before start-up in the spring.

My horses are on daily turn out; the heat has been awful clear into the night so the fans run from noon to five that face the run-in stall, and everything runs again from 7:30 PM to 1:30 AM. Everyone has at least one fan in their face, the heavy sweaters get two:)