PDA

View Full Version : Pasture Pro questions - please advise

Flying Hearts
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
I sprayed my whole fields with Pasture Pro 6 or 7 days ago to kill the buttercup as I was starting to have problems with it. It has not rained since then. The weeds look about half brown and dead for the most part - they still have some green, but they are obviously dying. My turnout is very limited without the use of these fields, and I really want to turn my horses back out, but is it safe? I'm not asking what the label says - I know that. I just worry they will eat the half dead weeds. There is not a ton of grass in this field, and what is there has weeds all throughout it, so they would have to pick the grass out from the half dead weeds. Can I get some opinions on what to do? Like I said, I REALLY want to turn my horses back out and they want back out too - they are only getting out in a small area for maybe an hour or two a day, and they are used to 24/7 turnout, so they are not happy campers (plus I don't think it's healthy to be in so much!)

Also, I have a mare nursing a two month old foal - how long do I need to wait to put them out? I know it's longer than the others.

deltawave
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'd go with the label WRT nursing foals, etc. I like to keep them off for a week or until a rainfall, if I can.

Can you turn them out but just put out a lot of hay so they're not tempted to eat the dead stuff?

Flying Hearts
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yes, I intend on putting out tons of hay for them, but I'm sure they will pick out the grass rather than eat this yucky, horrible, evil grass hay (this is me rolling my eyes at my horses turning up their noses at this gorgeous, soft, sweet smelling grass hay haha). Maybe I'll just put them out for a couple hours this evening, and wait to turn them out full time. Unfortunately it's not supposed to rain for a few more days at least.

Meredith Clark
Jul. 6, 2010, 04:45 PM
I like Pasture Pro a lot but I've never sprayed it on my entire field. Just the fence line or spotted sections. They have a good customer service line though, call it if you're worried. :yes: