PDA

View Full Version : the second cutting is going into the barn...

jacksmom
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:53 AM
part of the hay order arrived yesterday. it's soft leafy green and gorgeous, a very nice mixed grass with lots of orchard.

i feel wealthy.

who else is putting up their hay? whatcha getting?

jherold
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:58 AM
172 bales of a nice grass/alfalfa mix was delivered July 1st. This is the earliest I've ever gotten my hay. Another 50 more bales and it can snow. I'm ready for winter!

Mia412
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:59 AM
We filled our hay barn last week with around 1000 bales when the weather was nice and cool - thankfully since this week we're having a 100 degree heat wave. In the fall (as soon as there is room) we get another load of timothy mix from our hay guy, but we feed it off the wagon in exchange for wintering his wagon indoors so no more stacking this year.

Every time I look at all that lovely hay it makes me smile!

shakeytails
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:03 PM
We've got first cutting done, about 400 squares and over 120 round bales (I really need to sell about 50!). Got about 140 bales of second cutting off our little field and we'll square bale about another 500 of second. Any more than that I'll call the guy with the round baler. We've got hay coming out our ears this year!

Our hay isn't anything special, just mixed grass with a healthy dose of clover, and I can feed them as much as they'll eat!

MistyBlue
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:27 PM
Aahhh, nothing is happier (or smells better) than a freshly filled hay mow! :yes:

Due to very limited under roof storage here I can't do a full stock of hay. I pick up 25 bales every 21 days. Thankfully my hay guy is 5 minutes away, prefers this method and has enormous storage capacity.

But I get my Full Hay Barn experience there, he was laughing at me this past weekend when I walked into the hay barn, inhaled and grinned. New hay just coming in...smells heavenly! OC/Tim mix.

pony grandma
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:48 PM
It seems like we have had rain every other day for the past two months. No one could even get their first cutting done. A lot of fields got over grown! At first it had looked like a premium hay year, maybe 4 cuttings, then we lost the first round.

We did get 27 huge round bales put into one of the barns. That is our major winter munch hay. $15 ea and now other people have discovered this cache so we had to buy it ASAP.

We just found someone that did get a first cut so we jumped on his second cutting and the past week has been clear and super dry! We did only buy 50 sq bales, it's straight alfalfa (and dried so nice and cut at the very right time), huge 70+ lb bales and not packed too tight either. Should I mention $4 a bale (grass mix is about $2.50-3) so the rest of you folks on the coasts can envy us midwesterners a bit? We use it for supplemental feeding. It smells so good! That 50 was soooo easy to put up! 3 of us, one on the trailer, one setting it on the elevator and hubby up in the loft. It went so quick that I think we may buy like this again just so we're not groaning when we look at the job ahead of us.

Now I feel like I can wait for the next cut to finish filling our squares supply with a mixed hay.

It is a nice feeling when you know that you're covered!

deltawave
Jul. 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
Second cutting is drying in the fields right now, probably pretty darn quickly with temps in the un-Michigan-like 90s! :eek: If it would rain just after and stay up with rainfall through August, we stand a chance of a solid 3rd and maybe a 4th cutting.

First cutting was largely trashed by 2.5 weeks of rain, but MY first cutting was in the barn, safe and sound, before it started. It is a perk of the job, having your hay guy as one of your patients. :D :D Only trouble is, the 1st cutting (it's all orchard) is so nice that my fat pony will probably get even fatter this winter. :p

TheJenners
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:13 PM
Our first cuttings were a little late this year due to rain, but it's gangbusters now!! Everyone's cutting, the barn swallows and bald eagles are eating well, and my boarding facility is going to putting up first cutting this week sometime.

jazzrider
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:58 PM
I got 400 bales of first cutting put into my hayloft two weeks ago (Orchard grass, a little timothy and clover). It does smell heavenly. And my barn cats are happy to have their hay tunnels back, though I'm guessing it's too hot up there for them today, even with the ceiling fans and open loft doors. :cool: It's a little nicer than last year's hay, which isn't necessarily a good thing for my air ferns/hay inhalers, but my two hard keepers will be happy. I've been taking some of the dried haylage and giving everyone a taste each night. They're ready to be done with last year's hay!

deacon's mom
Jul. 6, 2010, 04:21 PM
Isn't it wonderful to have a barn full of hay? I just got in some beautiful second cutting orchard grass...and the monsters don't like it! They're dragging it around and peeing in it. Sheesh. I'm going to have to find something else to put in the second barn.

AnotherRound
Jul. 6, 2010, 04:41 PM
Aahhh, nothing is happier (or smells better) than a freshly filled hay mow! :yes:

Due to very limited under roof storage here I can't do a full stock of hay. I pick up 25 bales every 21 days. Thankfully my hay guy is 5 minutes away, prefers this method and has enormous storage capacity.

But I get my Full Hay Barn experience there, he was laughing at me this past weekend when I walked into the hay barn, inhaled and grinned. New hay just coming in...smells heavenly! OC/Tim mix.

Misty, you should see the hay Marty got last week - green and heavenly - from some place in CT like "West Suffolk" is there such a place, forget now. Its like heaven.

MistyBlue
Jul. 6, 2010, 05:20 PM
West Suffield? :winkgrin:

Mary in Area 1
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:33 PM
I've never been so happy to have finished our 5600 bales of 1st cutting BEFORE this heat wave! We had a very early spring and we cut about 3 weeks earlier than usual, and at least a month earlier than last year. It is green, soft and lovely.

Hoping we do as well with 2nd cutting and even 3rd!

TimelyImpulse
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
Arrgh! I'm so jealous! I bought 30 bales last month of mixed grass, and they weren't cured right, so now I have dusty hay. Ick. Anyone have any recommendations around Fredericksburg, VA?