PDA

View Full Version : toxic plants - skin conditions?

poltroon
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:57 AM
I know a horse that seems to develop skin issues every summer, then grow in a perfectly nice coat during the winter. Obviously, bugs are a possible culprit, but I was wondering if there was something in the summer pasture that might have that effect. Can buttercups do it?

goeslikestink
Jul. 6, 2010, 04:23 AM
buttercups are a toxic plant to horses as they can cause mouth uclers and if you have mares and foals then they can get irratations around the head and face as the foals are lower ddown when they graze

its reccomended to top the feilds if you have loads of buttercups

look here
www.whmentors.org/saf/poison.html

uk
www.horseweb-uk.com/features/plantmain.htm

ragwort

www.homeofrestforhorses.co.uk/pdfs/no7ragwort.pdf

Drive NJ
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
It is very likely to be a condition called Sweet Itch

Some horses suffer terrible from this

If you do a google search you can find LOTS of info and remedies
One British company has created a blanket to help -Boett and there are now a couple of cheaper alternatives

though its hard to say whether the itching or the heat from the blanket would be a worse problem

I had a Hackney horse with either Sweet Itch or bug allergies (never fully diagnosed, and the over all treatment would still be the same)

He would bite his belly to a bloody mess come fly season. He used to live coated with Swat and Corona thickly gooped on
He also was a cribber and that provided our best solution
He ended up wearing a cribbing muzzle - especially in the summer and this would keep him from chewing on himself - which would keep back the onslaught of fly bites, so he finally was able to get thru the summer with a full coat of hair, not chewed up

Bug sprays didnt help at all for us
Had to be something to physically prevent the bugs from getting to him or him from chewing on the itchy bites

Best of luck for this horse
Its hard to manage but anything you can do helps

horsepoor
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
Alsike clover in hot, humid conditions can cause photosensitivity which results in skin irritation. I think it is actually a fungus or mold on the clover that causes it, although not everyone seems to agree. It is more of an issue in other parts of the country than where I am (the PNW, where alsike clover is recommended for refurbishing pastures).

goeslikestink
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:22 PM
if its midges and flys and is sweet- itch go here

and buy the rug and also a guardian fly mask

www.sweet-itch.co.uk

go here for a remedy to clear it up and manage it
www.comrosa.co.uk

and finally if just flys and midges and you want a fly repellent then go here and get this from thomas 1

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104176