View Full Version : Cell Phone Apps For Distance Riding

Jul. 6, 2010, 01:26 AM
...Is there such a thing? I think I have heard of apps like this for joggers and I wondered if they could be used while riding?

I am training for my first LD and I would love to have more specific information about my training rides.

I have a Droid Eris.

Jul. 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
You are much better off with a GPS watch/heart rate monitor, such as a Garmin Forerunner. You will need that anyway if you are serious about the discipline. After your ride, you simply download everything to your computer and then have a complete record, incl. distance ridden, max. speed, elevation, average pace, etc.

The distances measured aren't always 100% accurate if you're riding deep in the woods or do a lot of serpentines but it's better than any cell phone app I imagine. Where we ride, we usually don't have reception anyway so it wouldn't work here, but I'd definitely try it if anyone knows of such an app or wants to have someone test it :)

Jul. 6, 2010, 05:42 PM
I think I am going to give this one a whirl:

It uses satellite data. You don't need to have cell reception for it to work.

I like that I can upload it to my own webpage, and that friends can actually track me while I am on the ride.

This morning it said I walked 1.55 miles while doing chores. Ha no wonder I get tired. :winkgrin:

If it looks like LD will be a sport I want to pursue, I will definitely be getting the heart monitors, etc. I was just looking for a freebie app that would give me some idea of the distances I ride and the speed.

I have so much to learn. Haven't been this excited about something in ages.

Jul. 6, 2010, 11:52 PM
sounds like a pretty neat app, would be great to hear how it works for you!

Jul. 7, 2010, 08:57 AM
I use the Gaia for iPhone. I think it cost $9.99 or something. It is the only app I have ever paid for, but it was so worth it. Tells me time, distance, speed, elevation, stopped times, creates a map of the trail. Don't know if they make one for Droid.

Jul. 7, 2010, 10:18 PM
Gaia sounds really similar to Endomondo.

I am really enjoying this app! It it really helping me learn how to pace my horse!

Jul. 7, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have a freebie app - Trailguru - that I have tried and it was fairly accurate in terms of mappign the trail.

One thing to note is that the apps that pull data all the time use a lot of battery power. Most of the time, having communication is more critical than data, so I haven't been a frequent user, but I am going to check these new ones out.

Jul. 10, 2010, 12:27 AM
For Droid, I have the MyTracks app, which is free. It's worked really great so far... maps trail on Google Maps via satellite, and also records distance traveled, elevation, elevation impact on distance, average speed, max speed, etc. I've only used it for short trail rides, 4 miles or so, but it's mapped my route perfectly--including the little jag in the trail when my horse spooked at a deer jumping out of the bushes. d; I have a friend who used it in deeper woods on a cloudy day and had some gaps in coverage, but it still worked most of the time.