PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me of ATVs for farm use

lwk
Jul. 5, 2010, 06:43 PM
I know nothing about them.

Thinking about getting an ATV for dragging arena, spraying, etc. How much ATV do I need? Where do I start?

Bluey
Jul. 5, 2010, 06:49 PM
I would not.;)
Get an UTV, like a gator type, with a box in the back.
That is what we have and it will pull a wagon, our manure spreader, drags, most anything and also haul any supplies around.
Much, much more handy for any kind of farm use than ATVs, that are more to chase cattle around or play in the sand.:yes:

anglotrak
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:08 PM
Kawasaki mule. 4WD if you have hills. Can't do without it.

walkinthewalk
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:10 PM
I have a 2000 Honda Rancher 250 that is around 22 HP. I would be lost without it.

I can see the advantages of a UTV Gator type in certain circumstances and terrain.

A true ATV is my preference because it can go more places (like after the neighbor's cattle), getting to the Back Forty quickly to check on the horses.

It is used to check fences in our rocky and hilly terrain because it was built for use on rough terrain, plus it is big enough to easily pull a 17 cu/ft dump cart (loaded with stuff for repairing those fences), a four foot drag, or my 23 bushel, ground driven, compact manure spreader.

If you decide on a true 4-wheeler, just be sure it is big enough and has enough horsepower to pull compact-sized pieces of equipment when some of those are loaded with stuff:)

genevieveg17
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have an Arctic Cat ATV with a dump bed. Love it. It comes in very handy.
It has a drag attachment but I usually use the tractor to drag the arena.

Equibrit
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:16 PM
Get a 4x4 designed for hunters with automatic. Will do anything you want.
Example; http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/530/home.aspx

Bluey
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:38 PM
This is our gator pulling our welding wagon, when we were expanding our horse shed:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Horses2-20-07391.jpg?t=1278372765

As someone mentioned, if you are on rough country, or need to go chase cattle, ATVs are good for that.:yes:
Anymore, many cowboys here pull their stock trailers around the pastures, not with horses in there, but ATVs.;)

If you need something to just get around quickly, we even check windmills and fences several miles away with our gator, but don't have to go over really rough country or chase wild cattle, then you can have a more handy one with room for more people and a box, like ours is.:)

Little dog loves ours.:lol:

Oldenburg Mom
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:44 PM
What's your budget?

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a Gator, but the $$$$s just aren't there.

My neighbor has a Honda, 2 wheel drive ... low end power, and it hauls a muck wagon (or did until it fell apart :lol:) carries two muck buckets on the back end,... scoots all over the property oh, and drags the arena without difficultly.

deltawave
Jul. 5, 2010, 09:27 PM
We have a Honda Foreman, his name is George, :D 500cc with 4WD. Got a "last year's" model for a great price when the local economy was at its nadir. No way was a Gator in the budget, although they are nice. Still, this one definitely has proven useful:

Harrowing paddocks and pastures
Pulling the sprayer
Hauling bags of feed and shavings on the rear deck (a few at a time, but still very handy)
Fetching the mail (our driveway is 1/4 mile long and if the weather is bad that is a bloody LONG walk)
Fun/joyrides!! :)
And best of all, pulling the manure spreader. Doing it with the tractor was a royal PITA because you have to hitch and unhitch the spreader every time you need to load it with the tractor/loader. Ugh, HATEFUL job, made much easier with "George". :yes:

We need to fix a hook on the back so we can haul in the garbage can with it (same 1/4 mile driveway) without it leaning against the muffler and melting. :p

foggybok
Jul. 5, 2010, 11:19 PM
The best reason for getting and ATV for me was....

no, not dragging, feeding or any such thing....

it was getting the ATV so hubby had a "toy". He's actually used it only for work so far (logs out of the forest, clearing riding trails etc), but he feels better having a toy...:)

tuppysmom
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:32 AM
I am looking at an Eazy Go with a Honda 4 cycle motor. It is 4x4 and has a dump box. We already have 2 small tractors. The old, old one is hooked all the time to the manure spreader and the younger one does all the loader/dragging jobs.

I thought the Eazy Go would be handy for pulling the small drag, fixing fences, toting stuff, and general running around the farm.

We got to demo it for a week and really liked it.

BasqueMom
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:54 AM
Have a Gator 6x4 with dump bed--it's been earning it's keep for 12 years. We bought it used (3 years old) from a Deere dealer. Lady it belonged to traded in
her tractor and Gator every 3 years. Worth it's wait in gold!

KristiKGC
Jul. 6, 2010, 07:36 PM
Just got a Polaris Ranger and its wonderful! Had a Kawasaki Teryx before the Ranger that was pretty good too. The Ranger has the speed and agility of an ATV but the functionality of a Gator (dump bed, etc.)

DH works for a powersports dealer so we had plenty of options and the Ranger was by far the best. (And its still plenty of fun for him to play with too)

Zu Zu
Jul. 6, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have a Polaris ATV and Kawasaki Mule ~ both needed :yes: BUT I can function without the K.Mule ~ I don't believe I could function daily :no: for a year without the Polaris ATV...( also have big John Deere and Ford tractors and New Holland manure spreader as well as two small manure spreaders ..if all had to go & and I could just keep one vehicle for the equine work ? ~~~ YEP ! :D I would keep the Polaris ATV !!!!!:cool::D:yes::)

Freebird!
Jul. 6, 2010, 07:58 PM
We have a 4-Wheeler at the farm that is used every day. We use it to ride up to the pasture horses, use the Mini Drag, Dump the Manure Spreader, check for lost fly masks, etc, take hay to the pastures, drive through the trails to clip branches etc....pretty much everything. Not only is it versatile, but it was dirt cheap on Craig's List.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 7, 2010, 07:46 AM
To add some fuel to your ATV fire....

Hobby Farms mag had an article last year about ATVs including a company in MN that makes a FEL for ATVs.

I talked to them and while the price seemed reasonable, finally decided the handlebar position would make it too tiring for me to use.

To date, 2 Dogs Farm has no tractor besides lawn nor ATV.
But I can dream :cool:

Berkley
Jul. 7, 2010, 11:42 AM
We got a new "Gator" last fall.....it is 4X4, low and high, locking differential, fuel injected, 28 HP.........It was great this past winter! The carry and tow capacity makes it almost a must....compared to a tractor or truck for quick or close quarters work

I bought it under the John Deere Equine Discount Program with a bunch of options tailored to all weather farm use.....saved several thousand dollars, but it still cost around $11,500.....The diesel version adds another $1,000 and I am sorry I didn't get it

Several adjoining horse farms have the Kubota version.....very, very expensive, i.e. 35 to 45% more than a JD Gator

Good Luck!

onthebit
Jul. 7, 2010, 03:10 PM
We started with an ATV. Then we got a Gator and never drove the ATV again (literally). Now we have a Kubota RTV 900 and the Gator. We thought we loved the John Deere Gator but we LOVE our Kubota RTV 900! Of course we also have tractors as well but the UTV's are so much more useful (to us anyway) than the ATV ever was.

Krallen
Jul. 8, 2010, 01:05 AM
We have a Kawasaki Prairie (650cc, 4wd) atv and I love it. We have also used a Polaris Sportsman (500 cc) but I like the Kawasaki better even though it is a little older. We use it for dragging a harrow around our paddocks to break up manure, haul hay, plow snow, and all kinds of misc. tasks. Plus, its fun to ride, and my husband and I enjoy taking it on trails in the mountains and hunting. We couldn't go back to not having one.

We also have a tractor, which we use for moving round bales, digging holes, and all of the "big" jobs. We also use the tractor to drag the arena....we used to use a smaller harrow and the atv, but our ground can get hard and the harrow didn't dig enough. The tractor has downward pressure on the back, where an atv obviously doesn't.

We've bought both of our atv's used for around $3800-$5000. I had looked at Mules and Gators at the time but they were not in the budget.

judybigredpony
Jul. 8, 2010, 07:43 AM
I would not.;)
Get an UTV, like a gator type, with a box in the back.
That is what we have and it will pull a wagon, our manure spreader, drags, most anything and also haul any supplies around.
Much, much more handy for any kind of farm use than ATVs, that are more to chase cattle around or play in the sand.:yes:

Second the motion we have a JD Gator and we haul water, feed, hay, building/repair material and most important we installed the hydrolic dump box with extended sides...we muck into it...and its GREAT.
I do not drag my arena with it, mine is a 4x6 and doesn't corner or circle well:)
Thats the only job it can't do.
Haul sand to arena and dump n run.
bring stone dust to barn to repaids stall floor, pick up rock in field and dump in woods, never ending work horse best $$ spend..........

Leather
Jul. 8, 2010, 12:28 PM
Here's an article with all sorts of fun accessories for your ATV for life on the farm:
http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/machinery/atvs/accessorize-your-atv/

My brother has a Polaris Ranger that he uses at his cabin. It's a beast--we use it to launch the boat/jetski. I could see it being a very handy around the barn!

jawa
Jul. 8, 2010, 01:08 PM
We have 2 tractors, 2 mules and an electric golf cart.

We used to have an ATV until my husband flipped it. He decided the UTV's were safer, especially since we had 2 young sons at the time. Our 9 year old can drive the UTV's anywhere on the farm. They are powerful pieces of equipment that are used daily. We bought both of our mules used. One was someone upgrading to a newer one, the other was sold due to a divorce. It had less than 50 hours on it and we got it for less than $2,000.

The golf cart is what my husband uses to go hunting. It is quiet, has a lift kit, knobby tires, a dump bed, roof, flip down windshield, a camo paint job and a chip that allows it to go faster than normal. We bought it used and refitted. It was from a golf course that got all new carts. The place we bought it from takes the used carts and adds different fittings on them. You can get a basic cart for $3,000. The extras add to the price.

A huge bonus for the UTV's or golf carts is that you can have a roof and windshield. These make a huge difference if you are riding during rain, wind, or cold conditions.

Craigs list is a great place to look for a cart. If you go to this website it will give you and idea of what you can do with a golf cart. http://peeblesgolfcars.com/Retail.html.

katarine
Jul. 8, 2010, 01:27 PM
Our 99 Kawasaki Mule is used to haul the 25 gallon sprayer around, drag the arena, haul firewood, check fences, move horses from field to field (I can lead 3-4 at a time and they all know their names "Toppydammitcomeon"), move tack,feed, hay to the LQ to load up for shows/camping, move equipment around, haul a small trailer to move firewood,etc and most importantly tote our tired butts to the pond with a beach bag and a stocked cooler and a Soap dog riding in the back.

4 WD - it can go anywhere. Simple, easy to drive, love my mule.