PDA

View Full Version : A Pleasure to Volunteer

Hannahsmom
Jul. 4, 2010, 08:07 AM
I spent yesterday at a schooling horse trial volunteering as a XC warmup steward and I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was. The competitors were there on time, warmed up safely and were ready to go. Their trainers/coaches were pleasant and helped their riders get their warmups done on time. All the divisions ran on time or ahead of time, no scary warmups. The weather helped as it was truly gorgeous temps, low humidit, with a breeze and the fact the organizers had plenty of volunteers and had their act together. I also think that running the "horse" divisions last helped. Well that and that it was schooling show so I didn't have to be there at the crack of dawn to volunteer! :D

I just wanted to give kudos as so many times we hear the bad stories. It is volunteering on a day like yesterday that brings me back again. It's all about pleasant competitors and coaches and plenty of porta potties.

One more tiny thing, checking in with the warmup steward is a good thing. Not required but helps us keep you informed if we have scratches or riders that don't show up on time.

scubed
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:36 AM
ditto.

It was a bit hotter where I spent the day as stadium steward at a schooling horse trials, but we had a decent breeze up on the hill. Two pop offs in elementary, but everything else went smoothly and we finished 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Everyone was pleasant and appreciative and the organizers even put up an awning tent so I would have a shade patch. :yes:

Tazzie
Jul. 4, 2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for volunteering!