PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a working student for an event barn- AREA 1/New England?

EventerOP
Jul. 3, 2010, 06:52 PM
The question basically asks it all, but has anyone ever been/ used to be a working student for an event/dressage barn in Area 1- esp CT, MA, or NY. . . but really anywhere in area 1, or around it?
I would love to hear all about it. The good, the bad and everything in between. Things like how long you did it for, money, housing, hours, what you did, didnt do. . anything!

I have always ridden/worked at the same event barn and am thinking about doing it since I want to eventually have my own barn.

If you would like to use names or barn names (which would be a huge help) you can always private message me.

Thanks so muh!

EventerOP
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone out there?!

wishnwell
Jul. 4, 2010, 01:10 PM
I'm in area 1- NY and thinking....not sure who has a working student program. If one comes to mind I'll let you know. I know someone who usually has a spot at a dressage barn but she may have filled it.

EventerOP
Jul. 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks so much! Dressage would maybe work!

I<3Sleepy
Jul. 4, 2010, 04:10 PM
I worked for Adrienne Iorio based out of Apple Knoll Farm in Millis, MA. She's mostly based out of Kirkwood, PA now but I learned A TON from spending summers/vacations being a working student. I was basically in charge of feeding, grooming, tacking up/down, exercising, cleaning stalls & and everything else barn related. I worked with her groom at the time, so it wasn't all on me. I always worked off board/lessons/housing - don't know if that's happening much at all anymore with anyone.

I had a great time and loved it. Being a working student is a ton of work but totally worth it in the end. Good luck on your hunt!

silver pine
Jul. 4, 2010, 05:09 PM
Stephie Baer takes working students all the time. I thinks she has one currently but she is an excellent rider/trainer/instructor and a lot can be learned from her approach.

www.stephiebaer.com

EventerOP
Jul. 5, 2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks so much, l'll look into both places!

sharri13
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:36 PM
Also, Denny Emerson, Rebekah Calder, and many other trainers in the area. If there is a particular trainer you like and respect, reach out to them. Good luck!

EventerOP
Jul. 6, 2010, 08:38 PM
This question is a bit different but how long are you usually a working student? Also, do you usually work off living quarter?

eSpresso
Jul. 7, 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm from Area 1, but will be moving to Area 7 to be a working student for the first time. So, no help on experience, although Shanon Baker, an event rider from New Hampshire emailed me about a working student position she had available. I'm not sure if she's filled the position or not, however pm me for the email if you're interested.

ETA: EventerOP, a lot of barns have minimum requirements for their WS. Some will require you to stay for 3 months, others a year. It all depends on what the trainer is looking for. Your best bet for finding what suits your needs is to contact the trainers and ask them these questions, or tell them what you're looking for. Some places give you housing in exchange for work, others have you pay for it, and some do not include housing.

A good place to look for WS and groom positions is yardandgroom.com.

DeltaMike
Jul. 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
I've not had any experience as a working student, however I've heard of a few trainers in New York that have working student programs...

Carol Kozlowski @ Mother's Field in Avon, NY

Louise Meryman & Darrah Alexander @ Treeline Farm (http://www.treelinefarm.com/index.htm) in Pine Plains, NY

Debbie Lockmeyer @ Pegasus Dressage (http://www.pegasusdressage.com/) in Shortsville, NY <-- not 100% she has a WS program

(not NY but still Area 1)
Mark Weissbecker @ Birch Hill Farm (http://www.markweissbecker.com/index.htm) in Western Mass.

Not even sure if they're accepting students right now, but at least you'll have some more people to choose from... ?
Good Luck! :)

EventingJ
Jul. 8, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have been a WS for Debbie Lockemeyer - she used to provide housing for some of her WS. I got a great dressage education from her - I'm not sure how involved she is now, I believe shes been ill (I know she was selling off a lot of her horses).

Carol is fantastic, I don't know anything about her WS - but she is very involved with so much in Area I. She is a great eventing connection to have, in my opinion!

EventerOP
Jul. 8, 2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone!

armyeventer
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:59 AM
I'm a bit late on this post, but figured I'd throw in my two cents. You might try Cedar Crest Farm Equestrian Center in Pine Plains, NY. They have a British Horse Society Training Program. I worked for them when it was at Millbrook Equestrian Center and it was very educational. I worked six days a week, and worked hard, but was guaranteed four lessons and four lectures a week. I rode nice, Irish horses, and had a memorable experience. I can't say anything about the program now, but it was great when I went.
www.equestcenter.com

sch1star
Jul. 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
You might drop a line to Meredith Scarlet and Denise Goyea at Scarlet Hill Farm (http://scarlethillfarm.com/pages/Welcome.html)in Groton MA.

I couldn't give you any of the specifics on their WS but the facility is beautiful, the horses are happy, they do very well competing in Area 1, and (my personal favorite) everyone appears to be quite sane, in spite of being in the horse business. ;)