PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions about the Micklem bridle

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 3, 2010, 02:55 PM
1. Can the competition version be used in a bitless configuration?

2. Can the multibridle be configured so that it's legal for USEA dressage? What about USDF dressage?

Thanks!

xcjumper
Jul. 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
Yes The competition can be used bitless but you would need to get the additional parts for it somehow. The multi can be used in USEA dressage the only difference is a metal piece on the noseband and you can't use the clips. I don't know about usdf.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 3, 2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks.

I've been looking at that multi-bridle and thinking it would be relatively easy to remove that nose ring, thereby greatly improving the look of the bridle.

Which one do you have?

I called Greenway, Tack Etc., and Pampered Horse & Rider today - no one carries them, unfortunately.

xcjumper
Jul. 3, 2010, 09:42 PM
I ordered it from Adams horse supply. I got the competition one in black. Not sure if horse is better in it or not since I got it right before the accident and haven't been the one riding him in it.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 3, 2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks - I'll ask Laura what she thinks.

jn4jenny
Jul. 4, 2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks.

I've been looking at that multi-bridle and thinking it would be relatively easy to remove that nose ring, thereby greatly improving the look of the bridle.

Yep, it's easy to remove. I bought mine used from someone who removed the ring, and there's no forensic evidence that a bit ring was ever there. But it's definitely a multibridle because it came with the bitless clips and is that oakbarky color that is not used for the Competition Bridle.

FWIW, my horse likes his Micklem fine but he doesn't OMG-loff it. I got the same under-saddle results that I get in my regular bridle, same amount of annoying head-scratching on his front leg after each ride, etc. It's a nice bridle though, and I can see how it might make a difference for horses with certain pet peeves or training problems.

I called Greenway, Tack Etc., and Pampered Horse & Rider today - no one carries them, unfortunately.

I assume these are your local shops, but if you decide to order online, Adams Horse Supply has a good price.

imapepper
Jul. 4, 2010, 08:09 AM
How does the sizing run on this bridle? I have been thinking about trying it on my mare. She is kind of hard to fit. She is between a full and a cob size.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 4, 2010, 08:10 AM
jn4jenny - Yes, those are the local tack stores that carry English tack. Trying to support the locals so we'll still have some local tack stores :yes:

I will order from Adams - I've ordered a number of things from them and have always been really pleased with their prices and customer service. According to their site, the multi-bridle also comes in black now - but I don't know if it's in stock or not.

jn4jenny
Jul. 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
How does the sizing run on this bridle? I have been thinking about trying it on my mare. She is kind of hard to fit. She is between a full and a cob size.

I used to think it was silly that they didn't publish a size chart, then I bought one and realized that traditional bridle measurements have little/no relationship to Micklem. I'm on vacation so can't measure mine (sorry!) but a lot of people have emailed Micklem directly to ask for sizing advice.

imapepper
Jul. 4, 2010, 03:46 PM
I used to think it was silly that they didn't publish a size chart, then I bought one and realized that traditional bridle measurements have little/no relationship to Micklem. I'm on vacation so can't measure mine (sorry!) but a lot of people have emailed Micklem directly to ask for sizing advice.

Good idea :) I was being lazy and hoping for quick answer on COTH. My mare is smaller and depending on how the sizing runs can wear a cob or a regular horse size. She has a Crosby bridle that fits her perfect in a regular size but I have found those run on the small side. She also has an HDR in a cob that fits ok. The browband is a hair small on the cob but it works. And I have bought her regular horse size halters that are huge on her....so she is a bit funky to size. I am leaning towards picking up a regular since it was in stock at our local Dover.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 5, 2010, 05:06 PM
FWIW, I just ordered a normal horse size multi-bridle from Adams (http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/) - in black. Shelled out the extra $28 for 2nd day delivery, since I'm leaving Saturday to take Prozac Pony up to the Coconino Horse Trials. His head is just kind of normal horse-sized (unlike Mr. Blondie, who has pretty big QH jowls).

I'll try to post a review & some photos.

deltawave
Jul. 5, 2010, 06:13 PM
Keebler has a short, wide, QH sort of head--wears cob cheekpieces but horse browband and nosebands are somewhere in the middle, with very prominent cheekbones. The "horse" sized Micklem fits him beautifully, plenty of room for adjustments all around. FWIW.

Bacchus
Jul. 7, 2010, 11:41 AM
My 16.1 OTTB with an Arab-type head fits very well in the cob size. He has worn a horse-size bridle before, but it was at the second to last hole on the crown. His head is much smaller than my other three horses, who wear regular horse size bridles well.

I tried to buy the regular horse size Micklem for my Appy cross with a big head, but I accidentally got the large horse size. Definitely too big for him. I would have had to punch an extra hole in the noseband / chin strap thing to get it to fit, and it was on the last hole on the crown piece.

I think if your horse can wear cob size, the cob size Micklem should work.

Painted Wings
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
Have tried it a couple of times. Seems to work well. I got the compeition bridle in cob size. Bought it for my horse that is a small cob but she's laid up so I tried it on my horse thats a large cob. It BARELY fits her. If I decide to buy another for her I will buy the horse size.

My question is:

If I show in it, how do I demonstrate that it is legal? I looked at the USEA rulebook and it doesn't look like any of the drawings. Does anyone know what specific rule I can point to that says its legal? I'd like to print that out and put it in my dressage coat just in case I am questioned at the gate.

Thanks,

EmmyTheHemi
Jul. 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
If I show in it, how do I demonstrate that it is legal? I looked at the USEA rulebook and it doesn't look like any of the drawings.

There's a picture of it now in the updated online USEF rulebook in the EVenting "permitted saddlery" section, where the nosebands are shown. I noticed it when I updated my USEF flash drive; probably you can print it from the EV rules on the USEF website?

Happy2bhere
Jul. 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
My trainer bought the competition bridle to try it out. She found that she could use it on her horse (large cob size,) another horse (cob size,) and my horse.....a 17.3hh boy with a ginormously long head. O.K.....granted, with him it was on the LAST hole, but still....the horse size obviously fits a wide variety of head sizes.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 31, 2010, 09:30 AM
If I show in it, how do I demonstrate that it is legal? I looked at the USEA rulebook and it doesn't look like any of the drawings. Does anyone know what specific rule I can point to that says its legal? I'd like to print that out and put it in my dressage coat just in case I am questioned at the gate.
Probably also a good idea to check with the TD before dressage starts, so s/he has time to verify that it's legal before you're dealing with the bit check person.

The TD at the Coconino Horse Trials knew immediately what I was talking about, and that it was legal.

Always Tardy
Oct. 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
Hi,
Just received my Micklem Competition bridle and am still sorting out the fitting but I noticed that the headstall has LH stamped at one end and the noseband has SH stamped on it. The bridle seems too big for my horse as it is at the 2nd to last hole on the headstall to get the nose band to sit close(still think it might be too low)to the right place but the bit loops are on the first hole(fully extended). So, I'm thinking that maybe the LH stands for large horse and that somehow two bridles got mixed??? Anyone else that has one, are they all mark SH, LH or whatever size they are suppose to be on both pieces? I purchased it from Adams horse supply and will be giving them a call in the A.M. but was just curious if anyone could tell me how theirs is stamped.
I'm still not sure if it will fit properly. The angled part of the nose band was at his cheek bones but was only about 4 fingers from his nostrils when it crossed his nose. He did seem to like it.
Any help is appreciated. TIA
Helen

2horseowner
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:45 AM
I ordered the large horse and it fit fine. Plenty of room to adjust. Both of my horses have long, large heads. Neither of my horses went brillantly in the bridle. The concept is good, but one prefers the figure 8, and the other prefers a dropped noseband. I emailed Mr. Micklem about sizing, and he said the large horse would fit all of the largest heads except for a Shire. That is big! The leather did stretch a little, so take that into consideration also.

Risk-Averse Rider
Oct. 8, 2010, 11:07 AM
I just checked my Mickelm multi-bridle (also from Adams), and I don't see any sizes stamped anywhere on any of the pieces. Maybe I'm just missing them.

Sorry I can't help.

Always Tardy
Oct. 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks.
I did call Adams supply and they think it might be a large horse headstall so will order me a standard. They measured the one they had to was standard and it was 28.5 in and mine is right at 30.
I can make the bridle fit with what I have but if it stretches at all, I'll run out of holes so I'm going to try it one more time to make sure I had it correctly and then if I keep it, I'll have them order the standard. Thanks for all the replies and cross your fingers that this is the bridle my sensitive guy will like:D
Helen

EmmyTheHemi
Oct. 8, 2010, 12:13 PM
I bought a Large Horse size and LH is stamped on the pieces. It fits the wide-browed, jowly, but normal-length head. He likes it plenty fine, but the head-to-leg rubbing hasn't gone away.

Always Tardy
Oct. 8, 2010, 12:30 PM
I laughed last night when I tried it, the minute I stopped, Tardy did that.:lol: It never really bothered me. Did yours go any different? Tardy is very fussy about the bit. Took us many different bits until I found one he was reasonably happy with. He is super sensitive about the way stuff fits. We'll try again and see. I'm just worried that if it stretches, it'll be too long. Thanks!
Helen

Always Tardy
Oct. 10, 2010, 12:01 AM
Well, it will go back to Adams. Tardy put his hoof down, no way was he going forward with it on his head:(. Could not get a cooperative step. Switch back to old bridle, small argument, that, yes, you can canter now. Back to old self.
He is very picky about all his equipment and has no problem:eek: letting you know that a new piece is either working for him or not. He has been going well but the Micklem sounded so nice, I wanted to give him a treat. Oh well, guess I will not try to fix something that is not broken. Thank you for all the input.