PDA

View Full Version : What's worse than a chestnut TB mare?

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:10 PM
One that's 1/4 Appaloosa!!!

Hee hee....

So..... I found a yearling....that I kinda want!!!
She's a she.... 3/4 TB....1/4 Appy.... and chestnut...with white hind socks, a blaze, and a blanket.

I either need enabling or some sense knocked into me and I'm not sure which!!!!

I'm an amateur... I don't think I'll ever be ballsy enough to go higher than prelim except for the occasional schooling jump that I jump *thinking* it's prelim, but would like to go a little farther in dressage. However, I'm poor. I really don't have much money to spend on a horse. And I really really want a baby! I've got Fleck...who is awesome!!! And can probably sorta make his way to 2nd, maybe possibly even *do* some third, but likely not shine at it. I really have no experience with babies other than the little stint I had with Dewey but I loved it and have tons of help and am capable of realizing if/when I get over my head and can turn to help.

At this point... Fleck and I are having an awesome year. We're qualified and heading to the AEC's at Training level, we're doing the T3D in the Fall, and... then, he gets a break and we'll go from there. We're schooling 2nd level dressage and he's really coming along although we have hit a wall recently. I lost my almost 2 year old to colic in January. He colicked (lazy volvulus of unknown cause in June of last year) and we did surgery to untwist and then 6 months to the day he colicked again and this time perforated so we put him down. Again, no real cause. I'm really really missing him and missing having a baby.

So...not to continue to babble, but...

Do I..... continue to save my money and focus on Fleck and showing him and give him the ride of his life and wait til next year and hope that the dream baby will somehow fall into my lap, knowing that a lot of my top breeders aren't breeding as much or at all this year, OR... really consider this nice sport horse bred TB/Appy filly that is a great price and just pick up some *More* extra shifts to pay for her and the PE and shipping and still be able to hopefully give Fleck the ride of his life etc. ?!?!

Okay... enable!!! Or talk sense into me!!!

Thanks!

Thomas_1
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:18 PM
What's worse than a chestnut TB mare?

A shetland pony with attitude and cute as his disguise!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/classic_carriages/funny/ed4220ed.jpg

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
ha ha!!! That FRO!!!! Oh dear!!!

NE_Rider
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:28 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/classic_carriages/funny/ed4220ed.jpg
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW ....cute :yes:.....

As for the OP...Hmmm, I'd say, get the baby with spots on her brain! If she is a good deal now, even if she doesn't turn out to be the "perfect" horse for your future, you still will be able to sell her and should do well.

Thomas_1
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:34 PM
In terms of the other questions in your OP:

Stick with what you've got.

Reasons why:

You don't have much money to spend.

You've no experience with youngsters. So how would you bring one on to achieve it's full potential?

No guarantees a youngster will every be or do what you want and you'll spend 3 or 4 years just spending money on it waiting to find out.

You're enjoying the horse you have

You know what you have and can further develop with him.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hmm...that was sorta my thought NE rider... (she's just so far away.....)

and thomas... no worries about Fleck.. he's never going anywhere! He's a lifer!! Hence part of why I wanted a baby...so that I could still enjoy my time with Fleck and have something to bring along and then eventually transition to as Fleck started to think about retiring. Or have two things to play with since hopefully Fleck will stay sound and happy for a long long time!!!

But good point.. the problem is I can't afford something nice, so my thought is buy a young one and slowly pay for it over time (as I realize I'll end up spending just as much if not more in the long run as just buying a nice made horse). And... honestly, I really really am interested in the whole baby/raising part! I really really had fun getting started with Dewey and look forward to that again.

But anyways... for now.. I'm off to go school XC with Fleckers!!!

flutie1
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:49 PM

Two chestnut TB mares?

Lori T
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:53 PM
In my barn, the chestnut quarter horse mare is the one to watch out for...3 weeks ago, at the age of 28, she still managed to run me over and send me flying through the air. DON'T get between her and food!

hctjudge
Jul. 3, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'll bite.

How about a chestnut TWH mare that doesn't care if she
eats or not, consequently won't put on weight.

Everything medically related has been discounted. She is a right-brained introvert. But boy, can she gait!

Ajierene
Jul. 3, 2010, 03:53 PM
If you do not have the spare funds for her, I would not get her. Added finances that you cannot comfortably afford can add stress and then what happens if something happens to Fleck and that 'vet bill money' already went to purchase this filly?

I would wait - maybe pick up half as many extra shifts as you would need to buy the filly and put that money away towards serious horse shopping in another year or two.

Thomas as a great point, also, about not knowing what a yearling will turn out to. Not that buying a yearling is a bad idea, but in my opinion it better be worth if it the purchase will mean money will be tight - as in purchase of a 'known' (made horse), rather than an unknown (young/green horse). If you save, then another year or two, money will not be tight and getting an 'unknown' would not be as big a deal.

EiRide
Jul. 3, 2010, 04:07 PM
Put her monthly costs in a special savings account--what you would pay either in board or feed if she were at home, put in yearly shots, put in what you would pay for in trims. Put in some slush spending for grooming stuff, halters, leads, surprise vet costs, etc.

If you actually do this every month without fail, when you are ready to buy you will already have the horse costs in your budget and life style expenses, and you will have a big fat savings account ready to give you the purchase price.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 3, 2010, 04:24 PM
Given your goals, I would wait. That said, I know of a WB yearling chestnut filly for sale here in PA. She may not have spotS but is a very fancy mover and knowing her parents she will go far in whatever you want to do with her. She is related to my big chestnut Muggle. Oh. And her breeder would probably take payments and I could take her to the AECs for you to pick up;) So what I'm saying is if you do go for a baby this year, there are several nice ones around that may as suited and closer so look around a bit before making your decision.

Bobthehorse
Jul. 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
I love chestnut TB mares, AND appies! Obviously you know my stance. If I could have another, I would want that.

deltawave
Jul. 3, 2010, 08:18 PM
Keebler's chestnut and 1/4 Appaloosa. Still picking the bugs from my teeth from today's XC if that helps. :D :D :D

eventingismylife
Jul. 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
Addie is a big, chestnut 3/4 TB and 1/4 ID mare. I love her to death but her show name is now Mrs. Robinson :D

pwynnnorman
Jul. 3, 2010, 10:12 PM

Nah, I got that beat, Thomas: A chestnut mare who is mostly Thoroughbred, but has a touch of both Arabian AND Shetland in her!

midnightride
Jul. 3, 2010, 10:24 PM
The real question is- What is BETTER than a chestnut TB mare? Answer- NOTHING!!!!:)

Really, all the above answers are right. You don't need a new horse and really cant afford a new horse. But this one is calling your name and well, ya cant take it with ya!! I believe in fate so if she was meant to be your horse it will be.

Good luck and chestnut mares are the best and appys can jump the moon so should be a heck of a horse:D

scubed
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:39 AM
I have done a lot of long distance buying and with a baby it is not as if you need to go ride her. If it won't stress you out financially, go for it - but I am well known as an enabler, not to mention frequently needing interventions when I start looking

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 4, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys....

I'm awaiting new pics and videos. I've just been wanting a mostly TB with spots ;) I LOVE the appy brain (and Fleck gave me another HUGE reason why yesterday when he saved my ass yet again XC and continued on, happy camper style). And I wanted the TB for the athleticism. And actually.... funny enough.. I like mares... I like appies.. and I like the chestnut spunk. Not sure I'm going to always like the triple whammy, but... you know ;)

The money issue is well....always somewhat of an issue. It's not like I'm super poor... Fleck and the retired mare and cripple mare are all well taken care of, I've got plenty of lesson money and am able to show and have fun. I'm a small animal vet and have a best friend who is a horse vet. And the horses are at home. So...aside from big major horse injuries (Such as colic...which we dealt with with Dewey) .....it's not a huge deal to add one in. It's the purchase cost which gets me. And I'm trying to be good and save up for the show season so that I'm not cutting into the regular budget and also save up for the baby pony. She just kinda caught my eye cause how can I not look when there are all these cute babies out there.
And she was listed as "private treaty" so I figured she was out of my price range, but alas she's not..... so argh!!

We'll see. I figure if it's meant to be, it'll work out. If not.. next year!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely take it all into consideration!

And hopefully I haven't offended any chestnut TB mare owners! I was only kidding ;) Or any Appy owners!! Definitely kidding there!!

Hey...did you hear how the appies got their spots???

From people poking them with ten foot poles!!! :lol: :lol:

Milo19
Jul. 23, 2010, 03:26 PM
Why do chestnut TB mares get such bad reputations? Really? :)

RAyers
Jul. 23, 2010, 03:42 PM
I am going to go with the "sense" thing here.

1) There is no better learning experience than being out on course competing thus save your money and compete.

2) Be realistic about your dreams. Don't buy the dream! You buy the right animal to reach the dream.

3) As Thomas noted, youngsters are FAR from a sure thing. In my case I am working 4 youngsters before I go after one I think will go big. I have seen enough "cute," amazing, talented, etc. babies, supposedly bred out the wazoo, go KABLOOM at some point. So I am hedging my bets by breaking and training a bunch of horses under the condition I get first shot at purchase should they look to have the chops.

4) Babies will try to kill you at some point. Be ready to get hammered. To make a confident youngster, you need to be confident in what you are doing. At the same time, youngsters will exploit your arrogance and plant you deep.

5) DON'T KICK a 4 YEAR-OLD! I have done that too many times and so far EVERYONE lawn-darted me. Thank god for t-shirts and Carhart Parkas. The best safety equipment around. ;)

It is OK to put your eggs in one basket so long as you realize that this youngster may be heading down the road as an inappropriate horse or you are willing to shell out bucks for training.

merrygoround
Jul. 23, 2010, 03:53 PM

Any grey Welch mare!!!! Only good for little girls! The rest of the world DIES!

sch1star
Jul. 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
I think that without photos of the baby in question, we just can't make a fair evaluation....:D:D:D

PS. I must say between Fleck and Lisa, COTHers are giving Appys an awfully good name in eventing!

Lisa Cook
Jul. 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think that without photos of the baby in question, we just can't make a fair evaluation....:D:D:D

PS. I must say between Fleck and Lisa, COTHers are giving Appys an awfully good name in eventing!

Hah! I was going to say the same thing - pictures are necessary in order to render an opinion! :)

And just 'cause....here's a picture of my spotted beast. He's 5. This was recently taken at his very first competition of any kind ever in his life. I'd say he handled it well. :)

Beetle! (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30861511&l=f2589c2f09&id=1114381130)

Love the Apps! Fleck - if you want to wait another year or so for that baby....the person I bought Beetle & Linus from is now crossing a Hanovarian stallion with her App mares. Should be some nice sporthorse babies there.

Bensmom
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Holly,

I know that Reed and the other sensible posters here are right, and waiting is always the good and sensible thing to do.

B-U-T . . . :lol:

I would not trade my baby mare for anything. At least right now. (If she takes anymore fencing down for fun, all bets may be off! :lol: )

Seriously -- I don't do mares, and I don't do babies. And I don't do warmbloods.

However, if you have seen from FB -- I LOVELOVELOVE my now 4 year old Hungarian mare. Getting a great personality and giving her plenty of time to grow up and hang out, while getting to know her really well has been one of the best experiences ever. Will she be a world beater? Probably not, and surely not with me.

Will we have fun figuring out what we want to do and what we are good at? I think that is a definite yes :yes: You were having a great time with Dewey and you are uniquely situated with your work situation and career to be able to decide.

SO, WHEN DO YOU POST SOME PICTURES?!!! :lol: and where is she?

RiverBendPol
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hey Holly,
My mother always said, "Horses are like street cars. Another one will be along in a minute." Thus professed when I was sitting in a ball, weeping over the latest horse or pony I couldn't have. Funnily enough, and as usual, she was right.

I love EiRide's idea: ..."Put her monthly costs in a special savings account--what you would pay either in board or feed if she were at home, put in yearly shots, put in what you would pay for in trims. Put in some slush spending for grooming stuff, halters, leads, surprise vet costs, etc...."

Now, that said, WHERE are the photos????????:winkgrin:

GiGi
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:36 PM
Becareful what you wish for... Bleu is a TB with Appy Spots and there are many ugly reasons he doesn't event any more!! Only Appy thing about him is his color. Psyco TB extrodinare.

ambar
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:53 PM

Two chestnut TB mares?

Four Arabian mares. Otherwise known as "the four chestnuts of the Apocalypse".

:D :D :D

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 28, 2010, 06:55 PM
So.......

Funny thing....

I decided she wasn't quite what I wanted and never got more pictures from the breeder... so I decided to be smart and sensible and listen to you non-enablers and be a good girl....
but THEN.....

I FOUND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY DREAM BABY OF ALL DREAM BABIES!!!!!!

I'm smitten!!! So.... sage advice and wisdom went right out the window! Sorry..... :lol:

I'm working on making it work and finding a shipper and will then double check with the hubby ;) But he's already informed me "i can do what I want, cause I pretty much do anyways" :), so... hopefully.... it'll happen!!!

She's from the breeder I adore!!! Has AMAZING bloodlines.... and is just.... amazing!!!!

I don't want to post too much details, (dont' want to jinx it til it happens!) but... if anyone is game, I'd love it if someone was willing to let me PM details and tell me YES I am going to get an awesome baby with this one :)

RunForIt
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:02 PM
So.......

Funny thing....

I decided she wasn't quite what I wanted and never got more pictures from the breeder... so I decided to be smart and sensible and listen to you non-enablers and be a good girl....
but THEN.....

I FOUND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY DREAM BABY OF ALL DREAM BABIES!!!!!!

I'm smitten!!! So.... sage advice and wisdom went right out the window! Sorry..... :lol:

I'm working on making it work and finding a shipper and will then double check with the hubby ;) But he's already informed me "i can do what I want, cause I pretty much do anyways" :), so... hopefully.... it'll happen!!!

She's from the breeder I adore!!! Has AMAZING bloodlines.... and is just.... amazing!!!!

I don't want to post too much details, (dont' want to jinx it til it happens!) but... if anyone is game, I'd love it if someone was willing to let me PM details and tell me YES I am going to get an awesome baby with this one :)

this will save me an email - tired - back to work today - soooo...PM or email me pics and details!!!! :cool:

RiverBendPol
Jul. 28, 2010, 11:32 PM
From Fleck:
..."
but THEN.....

I FOUND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY DREAM BABY OF ALL DREAM BABIES!!!!!!..."

OMG, Holly, you just PROVED my mother's wisdom! It barely took you 2 weeks to decide the first, whom you adored, was no good and find another DREAM BABY......Good luck!! :winkgrin: and please post pix!

n2dressage
Jul. 29, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hah! I was going to say the same thing - pictures are necessary in order to render an opinion! :)

And just 'cause....here's a picture of my spotted beast. He's 5. This was recently taken at his very first competition of any kind ever in his life. I'd say he handled it well. :)

Beetle! (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30861511&l=f2589c2f09&id=1114381130)

Love the Apps! Fleck - if you want to wait another year or so for that baby....the person I bought Beetle & Linus from is now crossing a Hanovarian stallion with her App mares. Should be some nice sporthorse babies there.

BEEEEEETLE!!!!!!!! He look sooooo handsome! You guys make a really cute couple! :D Are you glad to have him home?

Foxtrot's
Jul. 29, 2010, 03:17 PM
I saw the title of the thread and was just going to leap in with a tirade about a good horse being any colour, good horsemen don't colour-profile, etc. Then saw it was all in a lighthearted vein ---- carry on, have your fun, but love those chestnut mares as well!! :) :)

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 29, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yep... all in fun!!

At home I have a Roan Appy/Arab mare.... a leopard App gelding and...was considering the chestnut appy mare...
so .... yep, all in good fun..

And Lisa... Beetle and you look AWESOME!!!! Meant to tell you that :) And I met him in person at RH back in January, and he's AMAZING!!!!! I just love him :)

So yeah... still waiting on more info about my new dream baby :)

GiGi
Jul. 30, 2010, 01:53 PM
Of course the dream baby is going to be purrrrrfect as she is related to my most awesome of eventer mare!!