PDA

View Full Version : privacy fence or no-climb?

WingedPanda
Jul. 3, 2010, 04:11 AM
So. Have a property under contract (not a totally done deal yet, but working on it!). Small farmette, in a nice quiet neighborhood, dead end road, backs up to protected land. No neighbors across a fenceline.

However! The front of the property has 500ft of road frontage, and across that road there is "normal" non-horse housing. Just two houses across the street directly, more down the street (perpendicular from the farm).

There are no horses on the property currently, and there have not been for several years.

I am a bit nervous about "neighborhood kids". Now, I have no reason to be especially jumpy about this, I have seen no roving child gangs or anything else unsettling. Neighbors seem educated and friendly. But I don't want a problem to develop.

So here's the question. Do I put up no-climb/board as my perimeter fence (horses will not be directly against this fence, there will be a 12ft aisle), or do I spring for a full 500ft of privacy fence to discourage unwelcome visitors?

I don't want to seem unapproachable, I have no problem introducing new people to horses in an organized, invited manner - but I really don't want unwelcome guests.

I work an hour away, so no-one would be home during the day. If my neighbors turn out to be awesome, a privacy fence might prevent them from seeing injuries/problems and calling me.

The property is pretty open, so someone couldn't be on the property without being clearly visible. This in and of itself might deter. Of course, if there's a privacy fence and they knew I wasn't home, all they would have to do is get in the gate and they'd be invisible.

Thoughts??

Catersun
Jul. 3, 2010, 08:06 AM
I had the same concerns when we moved to our farmette. we went with noclimb wire and a strand of hot 2inch polytape about 6 inches above the top of the no climb... makes it impossible to jump the fence without giving yourself the zap of a lifetime. we have kids in the neighborhood an dI made sure to educate themand their families about NOT messing with that fence and not messing with the horses or any other animal over here.

Good luck and congradulations on your new slice of heaven!

fivehorses
Jul. 3, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'd also buy one of those inexpensive wildlife cams at Walmart or where ever. I bought one for under a 100 at walmart. it takes snapshots of whats going on.
At night, it has a flash, which I don't like since that lets people know, but during the day, you could easily camofluage it. Would give you peace of mind of whats happening while you are at work.

Either way, I'd put up hot wire to keep horses, people, whatever off my fence.

Think about upkeep too...which will hold up better, require less maintenance, etc.

judybigredpony
Jul. 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
Before you put fencing across the front of your new property contact the township or county office. Get the newest current set of rules regarding fencing your road frontage.

We installed at a rental farmette for our tenants safety the no climb professionalyl installed for paddocks and around perimeter also across front of property. We were within set back limits and the fence was beautifull...but there were a newer set of rules we didn't get and had to tear down alot of fence because road frontage fencing had to be more Residential in nature not horse safe.

If you want to abate noise and have privacy get the stockade if you don't care about car/traffic noise and who sees you go with no climb but top with electric wire.
What ever you install if a car goes thru i,t it will hard to fix unless post n board or post n rail.

WingedPanda
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the warning Judy, I will check with the county before I do anything. The land is zoned ag/farm, so it will probably be fine, but I will check.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I would prefer the no-climb, simply because it requires less replacing, and stronger if a horse hits it. The hotwire above the fence instead of inside is a good idea - so is the camera.

Maybe I will get a web-enabled surveillance camera and a speaker, so if I see people in there when I am at work, I can warn them off wizard-of-oz style. :yes: :lol:

saje
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:49 AM
:lol:

Wouldn't THAT be the ultimate in "Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!!"

WingedPanda
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
Yes. :lol: I need a big mechanical head.

judybigredpony
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
with a winged panda on it :)

JanM
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:09 PM
THe camera needs to have a recording capability, in case you need to show it to the cops, or if you need to prove to some little darling's parents that they were actually there. And since you are moving into a new property you should take this chance to do everything right from the start. That means change the door locks, secure anything that might be a target for thieves (tack rooms, locked feed rooms, locked gates that lead to main roads, etc), plus many times the local cops have an officer that will do a courtesy visit and advise you on things like vulnerabilities, security lights, etc that might be a way to lower your insurance premiums and give you peace of mind. And also look at state or local laws about posting land against trespassing, and liability notices that can protect you.

poltroon
Jul. 3, 2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the warning Judy, I will check with the county before I do anything. The land is zoned ag/farm, so it will probably be fine, but I will check.

My area is ag and very easy going, but a privacy fence along the road is specifically forbidden. They want livestock fences, not residential fences.