PDA

View Full Version : ThinLine vs Mattes

eventingismylife
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:29 PM
Wasnt sure where to post this, so here it is.

I have used the Mattes Sheepskin Correction pad, and have the quilted version of it. I love them both, but now my horse needs the a sheepskin correction pad, but the ThinLine makes a similar version for at least $40 less than what the Mattes sell for.
Have any of you guys had the opportunity to compare these two half pads, or love either one of these products? Any and all input is helpful, thanks!:yes:

ACMEeventing
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:43 PM
I have both. I got the thinline version about a year ago (thanks Eventrider!). I can honestly say that the thinline version is not only more comfortable for my horse, but more comfortable for my back. You can't adjust the padding like you can with the mattes (no little gel inserts), but it makes sitting the big trots sooooo much more comfortable for both of us!

denny
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
I use the Thinline pads every day on multiple horses, and have had no back problems at all------

14850rider
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
I have used both. I currently ride in the thinline ultra.

I have taken two backsore prone horses from backsore to curry-as-hard as you can not-backsore with thinline. On One horse, thinline made no difference for. But mattes didn't help him either.

I've had less luck with mattes, and some instances where they just alter saddle fit too dramatically. We have one mare that loves her mattes and it made a big difference for her.

Bur given the option, I love thinline hands down.

eventingismylife
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry guys, I am looking for a pad to alter saddle fit until I can afford a new saddle. I saw many of the ThinLine pads can be used with shims, which I need to add wither relief. Thanks!

IFG
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have the thinline trifecta ultra cotton pad. I have the front and back inserts. I am currently riding with the back inserts to lift my saddle because my horse's back has dropped as he has aged.

I love the pad. My horse goes great in it too. It is much easier to get him to use his back.

VTO has a sale this week-end. If I were you, I would order fast.

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 2, 2010, 10:52 PM
I know this may sound bizarre but i HATE thinline products and so does my horse.
You should probably shop somewhere you can touch the different correction pads and find the one that has the highest quality in person.
i like heliostack on ebay for my sheepskin pads. she has great prices and they hold up nicely.

clm08
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:24 PM
I have the Thinline correction sheepskin half pad. I use it with the shims to help with saddle fit and have been very pleased with it. Going on 2 years, just washed it for the first time recently following COTH'ers suggestions for sheepskin wash and conditioner, brushed with a dog hard wire brush, and it looks like new again. I have no experience with the Mattes so I can't compare.

Serigraph
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:40 PM
I have both. My horse really loves the Mattes sheepskin feel on his back, so I go with that plus I use the shims right now for a better saddle fit.

graytbmare
Jul. 3, 2010, 08:33 AM
Fleeceworks! I have the one with pockets and it is imho perfect! Its less stiff than the mattes and thinline and looks perfect even though Im bad and wash it in the normal wash with mild normal detergent :D I highly recommend them especially for the price!

ezmissg
Jul. 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
I have the thinline trifecta ultra cotton pad. I have the front and back inserts. I am currently riding with the back inserts to lift my saddle because my horse's back has dropped as he has aged.

I love the pad. My horse goes great in it too. It is much easier to get him to use his back.

VTO has a sale this week-end. If I were you, I would order fast.

YES! I agree completely. Has made a BIG difference in my older mare! Absolutely LOVE it. :cool:

Stacie
Jul. 3, 2010, 07:09 PM
can the thinline inserts be used in a mattes correction pad?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 3, 2010, 07:22 PM
I have this one...I'm using it with my dressage saddle that doesn't fit either of my horses.

I like it. It works well. Would like it better if I didn't need it and I had a dressage saddle that fits....

http://thinlineglobal.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=30