PDA

View Full Version : Back On Track Products

TuxWink
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:06 PM
Does anybody here use Back On Track products and do you feel they are worth the money?

I'm not usually sucked in by this stuff, but I had a friend give a glowing endorsement of the wraps and it made me consider buying them. That, and it's Friday before a three day weekend and I'm spending some quality shopping time with eBay. :)

I'm interested in purchasing the polo wraps and/or the no bow wraps.

BigRuss1996
Jul. 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
The wraps are definately worth it. I have many sets myself. I also have the blankets. I also have the mattress topper for myself and notice a huge difference when I sleep away from home.
Bruce D. is also a huge fan of their products. He has the wraps for all his horses for when they are done up at the end of a competition. He also wears their shirts and has their back support wrap and swears by it.

McVillesMom
Jul. 2, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have the Quick Wraps, and I'm using them on my horse who's rehabbing from a tendon injury. I can't say they're making him heal faster (I wish!) but I think they do help take the filling out of his legs, especially since he's on stall rest and tends to stock up.

I just bought another set, in fact, at VTO's 21% off clearance sale ;)

Kairoshorses
Jul. 2, 2010, 06:34 PM
I started using them because I tried out the people back brace (I drive 6-12 hours to an event, and my back is pretty bad when I step out of my truck)....and it helped ME. So I got the standing wraps and the sheet, and while I can't say they're doing great things, I DO think they make my horse more comfortable. I figure if it helped me, it's probably helping them....!

TuxWink
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm convinced. :) Just ordered the no bows from Smart Pak. I needed new wraps anyway, so even if these aren't magical they'll still be new and clean.

How do you guys wash them? Can you put them in the dryer?

Ponyclubrocks
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'm convinced. :) Just ordered the no bows from Smart Pak. I needed new wraps anyway, so even if these aren't magical they'll still be new and clean.

How do you guys wash them? Can you put them in the dryer?

Per manufacturer, they can be washed in the washer but must not go in dryer. They say the heat of the dryer destroys the ceramic fibers which are what makes these wraps work. I used them for a long layup and I think they definitely increased blood flow to the legs.

TuxWink
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I'm going to have to hide these to prevent destruction by dryer. :0

Jazzy Lady
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:51 PM
I just got the back pad and the hock boots for my guy. He has only worn them once, so I'm not sure. But he's shipping to a show tomorrow so he's going to wear them on the trailer. I'm excited to see if they work. I can tell you his hocks felt very warm when I took off his boots after he wore them for only 30 min.

flyracing
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:49 AM
Do NOT, Do NOT, Do NOT use them in the trailer for farther than across town unless the horse has worn them for several weeks!!! The motion in the trailer further heats the leg and can make the legs swell badly. Every time you "stretch" the tendon sheath, you make the windpuffs more permanent. Don't know if it would actually hurt the horse (although we know overheating tendons can cause actual damage) but I would wait a bit.

My horse wore them daily for over a year (12 hrs a day) with no problems. Then I put them on for 6 hour trailer ride. When he came off his legs were huge under the wraps :eek:

Ok, so besides that issue... I love BoT products!!! My horse was on stall rest for 18 months for a minor suspensory injury. It would not heal. We did all the expensive treatments to no avail. He was as lame at 18 months as he was on day 1. I ordered the quick wraps (so the barn staff could easily take them off in the mornings). On the 11th day he was SOUND 3 months later he was back to full work!

Today he can go with his wraps for about 3 weeks and he becomes lame again which takes a week or two of having the wraps back on to go sound again. The vets feel this is because he basically has chronic tendonitis (desimitis of course since it's a ligament) and the wraps help with flexibility and inflammation. Its been over two years and we KNOW the back on track wraps are basically keeping this horse sound.

I will say though, if the horse doesn't have a problem (or a problem under the wrapped area ;)) then they don't do much. Can't fix a non-existant problem.

flyracing
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:54 AM
PS In my experience the wraps loose about 50% effectiveness after the first wash (cold water, no detergent) and once I left them over the vent (in the winter) to dry and I basically had very expensive no-bows after that. For my horse, I have to replace the wraps every 3-4 months of daily wear.

Jazzy Lady
Jul. 3, 2010, 08:44 AM
good to know flyracing. Thanks :)

Bobthehorse
Jul. 3, 2010, 09:40 AM
Mine wears them the night before the show and on the trailer, without weeks of prep and he is fine. But I have had my no bows for about 2 years.

PNWjumper
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:33 PM
I LOVE my BOT products. I use the no-bows and quick wraps at shows and whenever a horse has any sort of an injury/abcess/swollen leg at home. I also ship in them (on the advice of my vet) and haven't ever had a problem on any of mine. I also have the sheet and that's where I've seen the biggest difference in my horses. My mare is the same horse on the 5th day of a show as she is on the first day if I use the sheet. She starts off day 5 (and sometimes 4 depending on the height we're jumping) sore and stiff without the sheet.

*Trinity*
Jul. 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have no-bows for the horse with suspensory problems and arthritis in his hinds. They make a BIG difference for him! He's much more willing to step under himself and my warm-up can be more compact.

A word of warning: after my vet broke her ankle and tore some ligaments in it as well, she bought the ankle brace. After two weeks of daily use, she said the effects completely wore off. We assumed this is a lot of the reason the instructions tell you to leave them off for a couple weeks on occassion. She could leave the brace off for 2-3 weeks and it would 'work' again. She says that your body adjusts to the temperature change that the wraps create, which is why they stop working after a few weeks. I use my wraps only before shows/lessons.

Fred
Jul. 4, 2010, 02:30 PM
I have the leg wraps, the no-bow wraps, and the sheet and I love them.
I was a sceptic at first too, until after using the leg wraps the first time and saw how tight and cool the horse's ankles were the next morning.

I wash them by hand in cool water with Ivory and air dry flat.

PletchersMom
Jul. 4, 2010, 03:11 PM
I was a skeptic too, and tried it...loved and and now hubby stole it from me, so I have to get another one!! :D

TuxWink
Jul. 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
VERY excited now about receiving these! Thanks for all the responses.

Jlacy116
Jul. 4, 2010, 05:46 PM
I love the no bows, sheets, and pads... but would somebody be able to enlighten as to why they make polos? After all the research done that shows how heat can be destructive for tendons why would they come up with polos to trap the heat while the horse is working. I could understand using them if I was just going for a gentle hack where I wouldn't be doing much trotting or cantering but couldn't they be harmful if one were to do much more? If a normal boot (not designed with cooling the tendons in mind) used for intense work has the ability cause temperatures that might be harmful, then what good would a polo do that was intended to trap heat.

Just a bit curious about that...

OTTB FTW
Jul. 12, 2010, 11:21 AM
I love these products. My mare loves making minor cuts/bangs on her legs, and has a HUGE swelling response to the slightest scratch. Without some intervention, the swelling lasts for weeks/month or more. These products used for a couple hours for a few days take the swelling down permanently, while regular wraps take a few weeks, and are worn for much longer periods of time. Recently she banged her knee. Vet said no damage, just tissue swelling. I got the knee boots and they work great, although they tend to slip down. I threw on the regular BOT quick wraps under them and it worked well to hold them up. With these wraps I haven't had to use bute, and notice that they work better for her swell response than it did anyway. For anyone wondering, yes she wears protective boots etc, we are talking minor cuts and bangs with a huge swelling. What she really needs is to live in a protective bubble..... :P

PNWjumper
Jul. 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
I love the no bows, sheets, and pads... but would somebody be able to enlighten as to why they make polos? After all the research done that shows how heat can be destructive for tendons why would they come up with polos to trap the heat while the horse is working. I could understand using them if I was just going for a gentle hack where I wouldn't be doing much trotting or cantering but couldn't they be harmful if one were to do much more? If a normal boot (not designed with cooling the tendons in mind) used for intense work has the ability cause temperatures that might be harmful, then what good would a polo do that was intended to trap heat.

Just a bit curious about that...

The BOT wraps do not reflect heat. They reflect the heat generated by the horse's body back from the wrap as infrared energy (or light?), which is why they're helpful for injuries and in products like saddle pads and polos where you wouldn't typically want to increase heat. My vet did a lot of research into the BOT products because she was bothered by the idea of "heating up" any injury, and said that once she figured out the method by which they work she can't understand why it's not emphasized more in their marketing materials.

cllane1
Jul. 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
I bought the saddle pad when TOTD had them a few weeks ago and I really like it. I think it helps my mare warm up more comfortably and loosens her back. I wouldn't go out and buy every product they have, but I'm pleased with the pad.

tpup
Jul. 12, 2010, 05:48 PM
Would my horse benefit from the hock wraps? He has arthritic hocks. Any input on those?

katie+tru
Jul. 12, 2010, 05:56 PM
Anyone have experience using them on horses with chronic lymphatic problems in the lower leg? Do the wraps provide the same degree of compression as standing wraps?

sch1star
Jul. 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
I splurged on a BoT mesh sheet for my pony before June GMHA because he'd been having some back issues and I was worried that being stabled might make him more stiff. It was expensive but I was impressed by all the incredibly positive comments on it here and elsewhere.

I don't think the pony liked it very much. Is there a learning curve for some of them getting used to it? After a few minutes he started to run around the stall a bit, like he thought it was chasing him...or at least wanted to get away from it. I wasn't brave enough to leave it on overnight.

With some reassurance and time he did stop fussing and I was able to leave it on for several hours. I did not feel any difference in the way he went, though. Of course, he might have been worse without...but I pretty much felt he was the same as usual. Does it sometimes take several applications for it to "work," does anyone know?

I think I thought after the reading I'd done that it'd have a magic bullet-like effect, so I'm just curious if my expectations were out of line.

ponyjumper4
Jul. 13, 2010, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't expect to see night and day differences, maybe in some cases. I have the sheets for my older mares, one who is naturally tight and the differences I noticed were subtle, but important. She was definitely freer in her movement and she did warm up faster. You are supposed to introduce them to the products gradually, so throw it on them overnight the first time is not a good idea.

There are a lot of upper level riders that use these products religiously so you can definitely do more than just hack in them.

TuxWink
Jul. 13, 2010, 05:36 PM
I just got the no bows. The instructions say to do a couple of 4-hour sessions with the wraps before you leave them on overnight. Once I'm able to leave them on overnight I'll be able to compare their efficacy compared to my normal no-bows. My mare has a lot of "jewelry" on her front legs that fills up while in her stall, especially during warm weather. I'm very familiar with what's "normal" for her legs with and without wraps, so I should be able to gauge if the BOT wraps do anything extra for her.

I'll keep everyone posted with the results. :)

Mardi
Jul. 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
The knee boots work wonderfully well for my 33 yr old mare.
She has arthritic knees and there is an obvious difference in the flexibilty of the joints after she has had them on. She loves them.

One cautionary tale though: the first pair I bought from the Back on Track
website. The boots came with directions (how to start out using them).

Later I bought another pair at Mary's Tack Shop in Del Mar. They have a Back on Track display with lots of products. No directions came with
that pair. Other people I know who also bought them at the same tack store were surprised when I said there's supposed to be directions in the package. They had none, and were just using them and figuring it all out as they went along.

Last week I bought the human Back on Track back brace/wrap from the same tack store, same display area. I got the package home, and there was no way to open it. The zipper pull was missing. I returned the item and
from now on will buy it directly from BoT.

Moral of the story: buy directly from BoT so you get everything you're supposed to get !

TuxWink
Jul. 29, 2010, 06:11 PM
Update:

The pros:
It's kind of nice to have a set of black no bows as they don't show the dirt. ;)
My trainer said that when she took these off the first time my horse's legs were warm yet tight. She was convinced they did something different than regular wraps and ordered a pair for herself.

The cons:
I'm not really sure these do anything more than regular wraps. My horse's windpuffs don't look any better than when I use my regular no bows.

So, I don't really know if these are doing anything majickal compared with my regular wraps. I guess if they are increasing circulation more than a regular wrap, that can only be a good thing.

Equa
Jul. 29, 2010, 06:29 PM
I am dyed-in-the-wool skeptic about most products claiming magical properties - but I now use the BOT stable wraps on a horse with windpuffs on the hind fetlocks. These make his ankles look like a bag of walnuts, and leave my vet shaking his head "He should be lame! - I don;t know why he isn't!". I don't believe it is compression, which is much less than if he was bandaged, so it must be the ceramic fibres which leave his legs in the morning looking almost normal.

OTTB FTW
Jul. 31, 2010, 10:12 AM
Mardi - do your knee boots stay on the knees rather than slipping after a bit? I noticed that the directions said use them upside down if they seem loose. Mine seem to fit fine, but do slip unless I have wraps below them.

Onawhim
Aug. 2, 2010, 12:10 PM
How do the products hold up after washing? I'm interested in trying the saddle pads, but obviously those have to get washing frequently and it seems some folks have experienced degradation of effectiveness for some products after repeated washing.