PDA

View Full Version : What should i do with my stall mats?

fordtraktor
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:52 PM
My farm came with several stall mats. The previous owners put one or two in each stall. The result was lumpy and created very uneven floors. And of course the bedding gets under the corners and bunches up. Not to mention that mat on clay made a stinky mess.

Eventually I will dig the stalls out, put down gravel and do mats properly. But I don't have the budget for it now/this year. Now the mats are out and the stalls are airing, but we are bringing the horses here in a month or so. I favor just leaving the stalls open and ditching the mats, or putting them on my concrete aisle. Is that crazy? I hate partial mats.

Alternatively, I could consolidate the mats and cover the entire stall floor. There would still the the uneven lumpiness issue, and the stink of nondraining pee between mat and clay.

What would you do? The mats are in OK condition, certainly usable.

baysngreys
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:04 PM
Can you use them in a wash area? or grooming area?
Sell them.

Eventaholic
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:48 PM
If mats on clay made a stinky mess I hate to think what just bedding on clay would do. In my experience it is ALWAYS better to have some mats down. Is there any way to temporarily level the stalls? I'm waiting to get a load of gravel in to do the same with my stalls, but in the mean time I had some crushed rock laying around that I used to even things out a little bit, and then carefully layed the mats down- taking extra care to make sure all the seams were as flat as possible. Cleaning and maintaining a fluffy stall was much easier after. I did something similar in another barn a couple of months ago where I used the random old bedding (old, not soiled) to even things out under the mats- it was another great temporary fix, and was once again much better than NO mats. Bedding went longer and the stall was much drier/stayed much drier.

Good luck- those things are MONSTERS to deal with! I swear they are alive and do move on their own!

Beam Me Up
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:57 PM
My "extra" stall mats are lining the aisle right now (they too were sitting on clay, in a run-in, and rolling them up and moving them out was fragrant to say the least).

As far as the stalls go, I fear that bedding on clay could get gross too. Last year I was able to get pit fines for free (looked very similar to bluestone, though size/content not guaranteed) from the quarry when they had too much. I had to pay $100 for the dump truck delivery, but it brought a whole mountain! I guess that only works if your stalls are already low though.

fordtraktor
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:18 PM
Ive had bedding on clay in my family barn for 20 years, Eventaholic. It is no problem unless you don't put down enough bedding or don't clean the stalls often/well. The issue with mats is that you can't get up the pee that goes between mat and clay, and there's no drainage. WIth bedding you just take that out every day and keep the packed clay dry.

The clay is a solid, solid base. It will take a jackhammer to get the stalls low/levelled, which I will do at some point but not yet!

Maybe i will powerwash, sun them, and put them in the barn aisle. Don't love concrete.

The whole barn smells SO much better since I took the mats out. I didn't know horses could smell so bad.

judybigredpony
Jul. 2, 2010, 05:27 PM
I made a quick and easy solution to the drains in our clay stalls when we rehab an old barn.
I had the guys with the power post hole digger drill a large double hole in the center of my stalls we filled them with medium sized to fine stone and I put some landscape cloth over the hole and side by sided the mats. That way the urine drained didn't clog with bedding and made the whole place smell alot better.

Also raked as in serious raked tth floors up (or roto till)re-wet once level tap and re-lime. Allow to really dry then place mats where you want them.

walktrot
Jul. 2, 2010, 06:23 PM
Put them on the concrete. My b/o has a double wide strip of them going down most of the aisleway floor. Definitely more comforable to stand on and somewhat easier to sweep than heavily textured concrete.

Zu Zu
Jul. 2, 2010, 10:23 PM
Keep them if you don't know:confused: where you need them now ~ time will tell you :lol:- sometimes I put a mat at the entrance of a paddock to help with mud...I have lined my entire aisle with back to back mats, use them under stacks of hay ~ under crossties.. in the front of a stall if a horse paws inpatiently for dinner... in front of a hug Rubbermaid water tank during the winter because of mud... you get the idea -- doorways in the winter ...under stacks of shavings and bedding pellets... everywhere :yes: :cool: they are "treasures" you will love it if you keep them and wish you had more... :yes::cool::D