PDA

View Full Version : question about safety vests

awaywego
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:02 AM
I've been kinda/sorta keeping an eye open for a cheap used safety vest so I can actually try some x-country courses myself (I'm a hunter rider!). There is one on Ebay right now that's in my price range but I am not sure of the sizing. It's a Tipperary and by the size chart, I feel like I'm right in the middle between a small and a medium. Is it better to have a vest that's slightly too small ro slightly too big? The bidding is over in a few hours so no time to get to a shop to try on others for size!

as a side note, I tried on a used Charles Owen vest in size small the other day and sat in a saddle at the tack shop - it fit ok through the chest (I guess - it will take some getting used to) but it seemed long in the back to me. I felt like it was going to *bump* when I sat back down after a jump. Do they all do that? I know they have to be long-ish to cover the spine. I'm very average height (5'5") and not particularly short waisted so I don't think it shoudl be hard to get something "off the rack".

paintmare
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:09 AM
I had the same problem with the Charles Owen, it was too long and hit my saddle at all gaits and I'm 5'7". I'm more leg than torso though. Ended up with an Aerowear Outlyne through Amira Equi (someone on here recommended it) which I must say is extremely comfortable and pretty much a custom fit.

graytbmare
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
Ditto on the Charles and also on being a bit short in the torso. I would recommend going with the smaller size because you can always let the laces out a bit, but if its too big its gonna ride up and you will feel like a linebacker. If this helps Im about 5'4 on a good day, 32 chest and ride in a xxs. Started out with a s and it was way too big... remember they are unisex sizes :)

asterix
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:54 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket on your shopping spree :), but I wouldn't buy a vest online in a brand you've never tried before -- they do all fit differently, and there's not a great way to know if it'll be the right size.
Too big is definitely a problem for lots of reasons, but too small is uncomfortable and may leave too much of your lower back unprotected.

I'd devote some time to trying on vests, at tack stores, at events, from friends, find one that fits, and THEN go hunting for online bargains...

stryder
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:55 AM
Ended up with an Aerowear Outlyne through Amira Equi (someone on here recommended it) which I must say is extremely comfortable and pretty much a custom fit.

And it has different sizes, based on torso length.:yes:

Tucked_Away
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:47 PM
...I tried on a used Charles Owen vest in size small the other day and sat in a saddle at the tack shop...it seemed long in the back to me. I felt like it was going to *bump* when I sat back down after a jump...I'm very average height (5'5") and not particularly short waisted...

Try the CO in kid's XL. Worked for me, and your proportions sound similar.

awaywego
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the tip about the CO in kid's size! There seems to be no shortage of child sized vests at the local consignment shop and it didn't even occur to me to try them.

I'm going to bid on the Ebay vest....the price is (currently) right. Worst thing that happens is it doesn't fit and I end up taking it to the consignment shop myself. If it's even close enough, that's good enough for me as I have zero interest in making a real *career* change to eventing - just want to have it so I can give the baby x-country courses a go! I don't even want to jump more than 2' x-country!

saje
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:20 PM
Yep, I'm 5'6" and a medium build, and I wear a CO kids XL.

Beam Me Up
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:25 PM
I think the tipperary's are pretty flexible--I have worn everything from an XS to an L in a pinch, though people are correct that if it's too long, it will hit the saddle before you do and annoy you.

That said, I do have mild concerns about buying used safety equipment off ebay. You have no way of knowing what that vest has been through (10x this for helmets). It's probably fine, you just can't tell for sure.

Bobthehorse
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:36 PM
Most people find tipperaries comfortable, and they lace up the sides and are very flexible so they usually fit most people just fine. I would go smaller, they are supposed to fit quite snug, and you can always let the laces out a bit.