PDA

View Full Version : So... I am with cat ... **Update** We have kittens

Rhyadawn
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:15 AM
So um.... I was out at my coach's place tonight, being Canada day and all, and we were having a bonfire. Great times, diet pepsi and marshmallows... sausages... the whole bit. She mentions to me that she has this lovely little Mommy cat who likes to hang out on the roof. She was afraid said Mommy cat will decide to have her kittens on the roof or some other less than apropriate place. *guilt guilt guilt*

So.... I brought Mommy cat home. Her name is Catakiss. She's a very tiny black and white kitty (more black than white). She's about as wide as she is tall so I *think* we should have kittens sometime in the next couple weeks.

So I am with cat. She is currently incarcerated downstairs in the dog kennel (the giant one) because my male aussie is thinking this would be a lovely toy to play with and yea.. it's midnight. Proper introductions will be started in the morning.

I have her till her kittens are old enough to be barn kitties. The tack room is where they live, but for some reason Catakiss just didn't want to live in there. She liked the roof of the house....

So she's starting on kitten food, and I'm going to work on building her a lovely nest (that she more than likely won't use), and I plan to keep the dogs away from her once the kittens are born. Anything else???

And does anyone have any ideas to help the allergies???

tikihorse2
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:07 AM
Well, I've never attended a birth of ANY species, so I can't help with that, but as far as allergies (if it's you with the problem):

Vacuum, using a bag-type vacuum if possible. Sorry, Dyson, but your vacuums are TERRIBLE at eliminating allergens. Likewise, dust. And wear a dorky filter mask while doing both. Better yet, get someone else to do it for you. ;)

Don't let Catakiss in your bedroom (yeah, right, I know firsthand!)

Claritin or Zyrtec, both of which are available OTC here in the US, at least. I find Claritin less sedating.

An H2 blocker, such as Zantac (ranitidine), if symptoms get severe.

BUT PLEASE, PLEASE, ASK YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!!! I'M NOT A DOCTOR!!!! THIS IS ONLY WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME!!!!

HTH!!

Kim

vacation1
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:21 AM
Kittens! My dog would be in absolute heaven in this situation:lol: Get Zyrtek-D, which is the original (and arguably, working) formula. And don't put her near your face, and wash your hands like you have OCD when you pet her. If she will be on your bed, throw a sheet over it first, particularly the pillow.

Rhyadawn
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:27 AM
Kittens! My dog would be in absolute heaven in this situation:lol: Get Zyrtek-D, which is the original (and arguably, working) formula. And don't put her near your face, and wash your hands like you have OCD when you pet her. If she will be on your bed, throw a sheet over it first, particularly the pillow.

Gonna be tough, she's a lap and shoulder cat. Currently wrapped around my neck while we chill on the couch downstairs.... Yes, out of incarceration.

alto
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:20 AM
If you're allergic to Fel d1 protein (& most people with cat allergies are), then bathing (the cat) & daily vacuuming will help dramatically - of course who wants to bathe a "foreign" cat when it's much quicker (& safer) to use Allerpet Wipes or Allerpet C solution (you supply the cloths) :lol:

Try to keep some Cat Free zones in your house, especially your bedroom.

If anti-histamines help, then stay on regular doses as it's much harder to get your body back into "quiet" mode if you let a reaction get going - I love Reactine (12mg) as it works best for me: with anti-histamines you really need to keep trying the different classes until you find the one that works best.

Take her in to your vet if you haven't already - you'll want flea & worm meds to treat her & the kittens, also check her for ear mites as the kittens would soon be infected (untreated ear mites can cause alot of tissue damage & result in deafness etc); depending on your budget, you might also test her for Feline Herpes & FIV as these diseases can be at high incidence in feral or stray cat populations (you might contact local cat rescues for a list of vets that work alot with these cat populations).

Happy Cat Sitting :)

Zu Zu
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:08 AM
Catakiss ~ love her name ~ she wants to be a house cat forever ~ pplleeaassee ~ bless you for helping her and her kittens ~ ENJOY !

onelanerode
Jul. 2, 2010, 10:45 AM
The best thing for my cat allergies was a bath for the cat! Seriously, the itchy eyes, sneezing, runny nose stuff was dramatically reduced once kitten had her "in from the wild" bath.

I still get itchy eyes if I pet her and then touch my eyes, but bathing her was such a help! She gets baths about twice a year now, and while she is not impressed with this, she doesn't try to kill me, for which I am grateful. :winkgrin:

Vacuuming helps, as does keeping the bedroom a pet-free area (for the most part, though when DH leaves the door open, Elinor makes a beeline for the bedroom :uhoh:).

I also wash her bedding/dog beds at least once a week. I have put washable throws on the furniture in the places she likes to sleep most, so that helps too.

I also found that my symptoms improved over time ... after the first three months, things were MUCH better and I could actually stop taking Zyrtec. :)

You know you have to post pictures of the kittens when they make their debut. :yes:

Rhyadawn
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:16 PM
So we got through the night. No big hooplah and no ittybitties. I have to kitten proof the basement, and I'm off to the petstore to buy better kitten food for her. Canada Day had everything closed, so my options were limitted. I was lucky to find kitten food from when I had Maddie.

And on the allergy front, I feel like I have cotton in my head and my ears itch, but other than that we're great! She was cuddling on me this morning :) She's very sweet.

Rhyadawn
Jul. 10, 2010, 05:10 PM
We have kittens!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=456345&id=656750723&l=85596457ff

2 black males, 1 black and white male, and 1 black female.

I'm still sneezing and stuffed up, but it's worth it.

How do you go about transitioning them to the barn life?

Buffyblue
Jul. 10, 2010, 07:51 PM
Congratulations! They are just adorable, and Mommy is very pretty!

Zu Zu
Jul. 10, 2010, 09:47 PM
Love your new kittens ~ I vote to find them safe inside homes.

fivehorses
Jul. 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
I hope Momma and kittens will be getting spayed and nutered.

In the meantime, have fun with them.
I have no idea how one transitions them to barn cats. I think its one of those things, they are or they aren't. Some cats could never be a barn cat, and some cats could never be house cats.

Guin
Jul. 11, 2010, 08:39 AM
Awwww. I love the mama cat.

HiddenAcres
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
If you want them to grow up, depending on where you are, you don't take them to the barn until they are large enough to get away from predators. Kittens are easy chow for large birds (hawks, owls,etc.) and varmits(racoons, etc.). Because of your allergy issues, if you can get your barnmates on board with truly keeping them in the tackroom, that would be ok. Momma can get pregnant again 5-8 weeks from now, so unless you want this to continue, she should be contained as well. The kittens can reproduce as early as 8 weeks sometime, so if the girl ittybitty remains outdoors, she should be spayed early. It's better for them if they are spayed at 6 mos, but better if there are no unwanted litters. Don't forget the boys! It will help keep them from roaming and fighting and really help decrease the stray kitties in your area.
You get triple Karma points for helping this family - thanks!

clint
Jul. 11, 2010, 11:09 AM
Awww they are so adorable; bless you for providing a safe place for mom and babies. I'm with those who think it would be wonderful if you got them all spayed and neutered before taking them to the barn, though. A nursing female needs to dry up before she is spayed, and unfortunately they can come into heat very quickly, so hopefully you can keep her removed from wandering males and get that done. It will take about two weeks to dry her up once the kittens are weaned. The kittens can be spayed/neutered when they are over two lbs. I know it is young but the pediatric altering certainly helps hold down the cat population.

Chall
Jul. 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
Adorable! I laughed at the 2nd picture though, can you spell JEALOUS? Um, Aussie wants to play? That picture is LOLCats worthy :)

kookicat
Jul. 11, 2010, 01:00 PM
They are soooo cute. :D Good for you for helping this kitty and her family. Do talk to your vet- some offer or know about discounted spay/neuter programs.

Rhyadawn
Jul. 11, 2010, 03:40 PM
Adorable! I laughed at the 2nd picture though, can you spell JEALOUS? Um, Aussie wants to play? That picture is LOLCats worthy :)

I just realized you can totally see the disorganisation of the "in progress" basement. Please ignore that... LOL. And yes, Cuy is a little jelous of all the attention Mommy Katra is getting, but he also loves the babies. My female aussie does too. She was making attempts at stealing baby kitties, and so we have the gate.

Keeping the kittens and mom in the tackroom in the barn would be totally do-able. The kittens are staying with me till 8 or 9 weeks, then heading out to their new home in the early fall.

More pics will be posted tonight.

tikihorse2
Jul. 11, 2010, 06:08 PM
Awww! Mama and the babies are SO CUTE!! And the pup obviously wants some lovin', too, as you said! Adorable!

Kim

rmh_rider
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
My DH and I both have cat allergies.

All cats live at somebody else's house, farm, and barns.

That is how we deal with the allergies.

If we visit cats, we change clothes, launder those clothes, and shower.

I am also allergic to perfumes too. Used to not be allergic to either, now we are.

Bless your heart for taking Catakiss into your home.

And no, cats in the our barn also give us both issues with allergies. Cats in somebody else's barn, and if I am in it also gives me problems.

bird4416
Jul. 12, 2010, 09:30 AM
Awww....you have a cow kitty. That's my favorite color. Bless you for helping these cats.

leilatigress
Jul. 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
I have mild allergies to cats. The longer the hair of the cat the worse my allergies act up including hives and issues breathing. I can smell a chinchilla Persian from a mile away and by the time it gets to me I look like the classic allergy issue. But I do have cats(currently 3) and I deal with it by just cat freeing certain places of the house. No cats allowed in my bedroom or the kitchen and especially on the pillows. Bath time is every 3 weeks in an oatmeal based shampoo that smells wonderful. DH deals with the cat box and making sure the cats stay out of our bedroom otherwise we're good. Transitions to the barn I agree on the wait till they are big and mobile enough to get out of harm's way. Yes get everyone fixed as well to make things easier. You are awesome to take in the kitties and enjoy them!

Nlevie
Jul. 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
They are SO cute ! Thank you for taking them in - you will be rewarded !

wsmoak
Jul. 12, 2010, 07:03 PM
awwww... barn kitties!

I adopted a pregnant female and her son last spring, and have thus far gotten him fixed, then her when the kittens were old enough. The kittens are incarcerated until they get their final set of shots (with rabies) and then will get to go outside under supervision, (and without lunch, so they'll come back.) We have hawks and owls, raccoons, and I'm quite sure Roberta Rat Snake could swallow one of them, she's huge!

onelanerode
Jul. 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
Cuteness!! :)

Huntertwo
Jul. 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
Too cute!!! Flonase works great for nasal allergies...:yes:

Good luck with the kittens and mom will be spayed??? I hope?? :yes:

betsyk
Jul. 13, 2010, 12:30 PM
We had barn kittens a few years ago. They lived in a big huge cardboard box - the kind they use at the grocery store for watermelons! Mama cat could jump in and out and the kittens were contained until they were big enough to do it, too. Once they could jump in and out, they lived in the tack room until they discovered the cat door. Mama taught them to run back into the tack room if there was trouble and they were great natural climbers. Five years later (wow...) we've only lost one of the original litter of six.

A boarder's husband is a small animal vet and he neutered the 5 boys for us; we took up a collection and gave them a gift certificate for dinner out. We took the mama cat to the horse vet's clinic for her spay. The girl went to an indoor home and they took care of her spay. I would definitely get the spaying and neutering and shots taken care of before you bring them back to the barn.