PDA

View Full Version : eventing training in North Carolina? and Allison Springer question

mustangsal85
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:44 PM
Currently researching a move in the next couple of years to North Carolina. Possible Charlotte area, possibly Raleigh area. Would like recommendations on eventing trainers and/or a place I could board at with an eventing trainer who would also allow me to do the jumpers (ie not a strictly eventing barn). I don't have extensive eventing experience, only have gone through Novice and that was awhile ago. But would eventually like to do some more serious combined training.

Also, has anyone had a clinic with and/or trained with Allison Springer? I've read that she spend some time in Aiken and am not sure if she takes students as trailer-ins while she is there or where she bases out of in Aiken.

Any input is welcome, just doing research now but there would be so many more opportunities there than where I am now and my family recently relocated there so I am itching to go at some point.

ThirdCharm
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:15 AM
We are 20 minutes east of Charlotte right off hwy 24/27, primarily do eventing but also go to Jumper shows--I showed my late stallion in straight jumpers for a while.....

Jennifer

GotSpots
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:07 AM
Allison has wintered in Aiken from late January through the end of March/early April for the last few years. She's recently been stabled at Buckleigh Farms and does take trailer-in's for lessons and/or meets students at XC schooling outings or shows. Her contact info is on her website.

Murphy1
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:26 PM
Will Faudree has a beautiful horse farm (Gavilan Farm) in Hoffman, NC...www.willfaudree.com. He is extremely talented, a fantastic XC rider and from what I have heard, a great clinician...

ponyjumper4
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:02 PM
Southern Pines is a melting pot of disciplines, driving, hunter/jumpers, dressage, and eventers--many big names. Denny's farm (Denny winters there) is practically across the street of Harold Chopping's place, both fantastic riders and trainers. There are several jumpers and eventers in Raleigh as well.

WildOne
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:05 PM
Mustangsal85-PM me if interested in event lessons in Aiken. I am here all year round.

3020HV
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
Several of my friends and I have trained with Allison. if you have a chance to work with her - do it! One of the best training experiences I have had. She's tough but you will get results.

lstevenson
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:17 PM
Charlotte is a great area. Great central location between the horsey areas of Southern Pines, Tryon, and Aiken.

Check out the Charlotte Area Equestrian's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1346387226&ref=profile#!/group.php?gid=271448428728&ref=ts (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1346387226&ref=profile#%21/group.php?gid=271448428728&ref=ts)

I'm based out of a great farm with lots of real grass and lots of great land to ride on, both of which seem to be a problem in many parts of the Carolinas.

You can see pics of it on my website: http://lesleystevenson.webs.com/oakhillfarm.htm

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area. Good luck!

advmom
Jul. 5, 2010, 11:40 AM
NC lessons, rebecca howard is the trainer at the Fork in Norwood and she teaches eeekly in Charlotte as well
She is a fantastic rider/clinician
check out the Fork stables website

wildlifer
Jul. 5, 2010, 01:05 PM
There are many folks to choose from in NC. I live in the Triangle area and do some jumping training with David O'Brien. He comes up here and also has clients at his farm in Vass, near S Pines. Denny is also down there in the winter and a bunch of others. I don't board with a trainer as I find it too expensive, but I board with a fellow eventer and we have a great time!

InVA
Jul. 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
Becky Holder is now based between Charlotte and Southern Pines. Holly *Hepp* Hudspeth is in Raleigh...

eventer_mi
Jul. 5, 2010, 03:33 PM
I board at a fabulous barn in So. Pines, complete with covered arena (great for these blisteringly hot days), huge pastures, etc. I train with Gina Fiore right down the road from where I board (used to board with her but then got a new job which required me to ride in the evenings, hence the covered arena with lights). If you're interested, PM me.

mustangsal85
Jul. 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone! I am going to be visiting my parents in Waxhaw (Charlotte) at the end of the month and if I get some time I was going to try and find some stables to look at. But I am not really looking to move to Charlotte, probably more towards Raleigh but who knows. This will be my first time out there so that remains to be seen, and the move won't happen for at least a year but.. there is just so much opportunity there for an aspiring eventer such as myself. Now if I could just find myself the horse to get me there... :)

Enjoy the Glory
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hey - if you're going to be in Waxhaw this month you need to get in touch with Lesley Stevenson! She is an excellent trainer and a tremendous source of information - check out her website and credentials!

shoponee70
Jul. 8, 2010, 12:14 PM
were over in tryon ( 90 minutes or so from Char) weve got several
amy barrington, annie maunder just to name a few and we are right near FENCE so lots of cross country schooling around as well as jumper hunter and dressage shows ( and events of course! )
http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thefarmhousein/the-template/UpstateBarns/Page

the farm house's list of area barns -- it encompases charlotte, greenville and some in aiken and columbia