PDA

View Full Version : "grounding" a fence question

Mali
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:50 PM
I currently have 4 strands of Electrobraid around my pasture. The top 2 strands are hot, the third is my ground, and the bottom is hot. My arena butts up to my pasture, and I need to extend the top two strands of rope between my arena rails. My arena is fenced in the Horserail flexible rail fence and my gelding keeps reaching thru the fence to nibble on the corn planted on the other side. I can easily connect to the existing Electrobraid, but was only going to extend just the upper 2 hot strands. Do I need to extend the "ground" strand as well? The arena is only 100' long, which would be the length of the new hot strands.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:53 PM
It depends. Are you on sand? Is your soil at least damp? Do you have a good grounding rod, or if the ground wire your only ground?

Frank B
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:10 PM
Depends on soil conductivity, but if your ground strand has ground rods strung out along the fence you'll have a better chance of just the top two strands giving enough *zap* to do the job.

deltawave
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
If you're well grounded already, I think you'll probably be OK extending the two hot strands a little. Electrobraid is hot stuff, and my horses don't put a whisker near it, ever.

If in doubt, check the voltage on the new strands you put up. Or get some goofy teenage football player to test it for you on a dare. :D

Mali
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:23 AM
clay soil, no rocks, ground rods used for current fence. Lots of "zap" to current fence

Frank B
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:38 AM
Sounds like you should be OK. If it's not, drive another rod at the post where you're tying on and connect it to the ground strand.

Be sure to check the fence again when cold weather rolls in. Frozen ground is a very poor conductor of electricity.

Mali
Jul. 2, 2010, 06:26 PM
Frank - thanks! I'll probably disconnect the strand once the corn is harvested, so winter weather shouldn't be a problem. Next year we'll have soybeans in that field, so I won't need to re-hook up the hot wire for another 2 years! Phooey on my husband for TEACHING my horse to reach over the fence for the corn! I should zap HIM with the fence!