PDA

View Full Version : OKAY! I'm officially tired of these BLANKING SNAKES

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jul. 1, 2010, 06:39 PM
Just killed my third one. This one was right up against my house. Would have killed one of my little dogs. Killed one on the road with the car (rattler), killed one 2 weeks ago on someone else's carport (Mocc), then just shot this rattlesnake. HATE HATE HATE SNAKES

fivehorses
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:08 PM
May I ask what kind of property you have? Do you have a pond, or a stream or what do you think is making you such a snake magnet? Do you have chickens or what kind of livestock, farm animals etc
Really seriously trying to understand, so I can avoid that kind of property or attraction.

Jaegermonster
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:25 PM
I haven't seen many this year, a couple months ago we had a rattler in one of the stalls. I wasn't here, and my friend that saw it said it went back into the woods. We are surrounded by woods here, no chickens or anything, but there are little mice and things coming out of the woods so who knows. All the rain lately also has been driving them up to higher ground. All you can do is keep everything mowed and don't leave little piles of stuff around, like wood etc, where they can hide or hunt.
I feel your pain, Monday will be one year since the loss of my Lab Megan to a rattlesnake, and then two weeks later I had one in the barn.

dalpal
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:19 PM
Somewhere there's a snake typing out...I'm offically tired of these blanking humans. :lol: sorry, couldn't resist.

I would be terrified if I had rattlers near my home, so I do feel for you. I agree if you can make changes to make your property to make it less snake friendly.

Freebird!
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
I live in Georgia too, and this seems to be the Year Of the Snake! Our BO's horse got bitten in the Jaw by one last week. Two weeks ago my Mom - who can't even stand to see a snake on TV - found a 5 FOOT snake skin in our backyard. Yeah, I can't wait to find HIM crawling around. :( I DO like snakes much better then Rats though.

kinnip
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:43 PM
The guineas take care of my snakes, but the coyotes....

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:48 PM
I actually do like snakes and would avoid killing one on purpose.

Zu Zu
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:23 PM
eeewww ~ I hate snakes ~~~~~~~~~~~~

JanM
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:35 PM
If you see snakes then it's either being driven to higher ground by water (of course in a year that seems have rain every stinking day I think this is a major factor), or hunting food. If you have rats and mice then the snakes and other rodent hunters will follow. A friend found a snake in her basement after they had started to have a problem with rodents coming in through the garage drywall gaps. After they got rid of the mice access points and the mice the snakes disappeared.

Jul. 2, 2010, 12:02 AM
Around my house is clear of brush etc. The taller grass starts about 100' away on the side where today's snake was found. I've been trying to keep it mowed but with all the rain it's been impossible to stay ahead of it.
No piles of wood or anything nearby. I do have 3 shrubs near the house which I'm thinking of pulling up. The main thing is I need to clear more woods. They're far from the house but not far enough. That being said 2 yrs ago a neighbor nearby found a rattler in her flower bed & her woods are not even remotely close to her home. I agree. I think all the rain is doing something to them. Just so scared for my dogs & horses. I too lost a dog, my 1st JR, about 9 yrs ago to snake when she went outside for just a moment. I'll never get over losing my "Miss Sugar Snap".
I truly love the south but this year it's getting on my last nerve!

florida foxhunter
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:40 AM
Scary.........I think it's all the rain we've had! I had a rattlesnake on my concrete drive this year and have NEVER seen one on our farm before in our 15 years here!
Luckily my trainer was here, because I couldn't have shot the shotgun with my broken shoulder.....and would have had heart attack leaving it alive knowing all my horses, dogs and cats were here! He had a pistol with "snake shot" (probably like ratshot......but it seemed great to me because it didn't kick like a shotgun, but spread out to make it easier to hit the target!!)

Jul. 2, 2010, 12:47 AM
patti, when did you break your shoulder & how are you doing with it now?

paintjumper
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:33 AM
Here in Tifton, we have seen a few water snakes and one Moc (that got away unfortunately) but my pit bull killed 3 of my King snakes last year (I was not happy about that!) so I was afraid we would see more of the bad guys this year...but so far so good.
Side note...tell us about what babies you had born this year, I didn't see any new additions on your website.

Catersun
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:05 AM
I haven't seen many this year, a couple months ago we had a rattler in one of the stalls. I wasn't here, and my friend that saw it said it went back into the woods. We are surrounded by woods here, no chickens or anything, but there are little mice and things coming out of the woods so who knows. All the rain lately also has been driving them up to higher ground. All you can do is keep everything mowed and don't leave little piles of stuff around, like wood etc, where they can hide or hunt.
I feel your pain, Monday will be one year since the loss of my Lab Megan to a rattlesnake, and then two weeks later I had one in the barn.

crap jagear... I can't believe it's been a year.

pinkme
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:17 PM
I wish it would rain here, our grass is fried! I have seen tons and tons of water snakes, all kinds. So much so that I think twice when swimming off the dock (which is surrounded by rip rap on the shore, aka snake paradise).

Tamara in TN
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:44 AM
Just killed my third one. This one was right up against my house. Would have killed one of my little dogs. Killed one on the road with the car (rattler), killed one 2 weeks ago on someone else's carport (Mocc), then just shot this rattlesnake. HATE HATE HATE SNAKES

well nothing enjoys good "baby snake and Chianti" like a flock of ducks ;)

Tamara in TN

Arab/WBGirl
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:54 AM
I'm just hunkey dorey with the snakes:yes: We have them everywhere here, rattlers, mocs, rat, you name it.
BUUUUTTTT, let me see a big honkin' SPIDER:eek::eek::eek: and I will squeal like a little pig:lol::lol: And heaven forbid when those horrible giant brown spiders come out in the Fall and build their giant spider webs on your porch, right where you will walk into it:eek::eek: I have almost given myself a concussion before beating myself screaming bloody murder after walking through one of those webs and being terrified the spider was on me.

Me and snakes, we cool:cool: Me and spiders, not so much.

fivehorses
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:06 AM
Really Tamara? Ducks like to eat snakes????
Why don't chickens?

tveley
Jul. 3, 2010, 07:48 PM
We have a resident flock of peacocks that keep the snakes under control on our farm. They are not pets and I do not feed them. The original settlers to our property (in 1850) ordered the peacock chicks from the Sear & Roebuck catalog and the descendants of those original birds are still here today. They are very territorial and will not leave.

I have not seen any snakes in the 2 1/2 years we have been here, other than a few dead in the road (off our property). Our neighbors do have snakes around, so I have to believe the peacocks do a great job. They are beautiful too, but noisy at times.

crosscreeksh
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
This must be the year of the snake!! I have shot and killed 10 water moccacins and wounded/killed two that went between the rocks on the dam over our creek 300 feet from our house and barns!! We've lived here for 5 years and this is the first year that I encountered more than one or two. Our dogs like to swim off the dam and our horses cross the creek upstream. Sorry snakes - my farm, my creek, you are free to be on earth...just somewhere we are NOT!!! I keep meds on hand in case of snake bite, but we are so rural getting an animal to the vet in time might not be possible. Even the "good" black snakes are moving into the barns and our pump house. I can't take the shock factor of opening a door or walking into a stall and finding a big old snake draped across something. Good or bad snake!! Moth balls worked like a charm to get the one out of the pump house. Now if I could spread moth balls over the whole 90 acres I'd be happy!!

Tamara in TN
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:14 AM
Really Tamara? Ducks like to eat snakes????
Why don't chickens?

chickens do to but ducks can't fly up and poop on your porch ;)

ducks love them like warm wiggly pasta...they eat them whole, striking and flailing...unless two or more get in a spat over them and rip it in two before they eat it;)

Tamara in TN

Zu Zu
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:28 AM
chickens do to but ducks can't fly up and poop on your porch ;)

ducks love them like warm wiggly pasta...they eat them whole, striking and flailing...unless two or more get in a spat over them and rip it in two before they eat it;)

Tamara in TN

eewwww !!!!!!!!!!

back in the saddle
Jul. 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
Have you found any king snakes or black rat snakes? Those eat the poisionus ones. I've only found black rat snakes (7-8 footers) but no bad snakes yet.

fivehorses
Jul. 4, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yummmyyyy, warm wiggly pasta, now thats a visual.
I guess they only eat the tiny snakes, like the garter snakes and not the 5 footers.