PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence Chargers

msj
Jul. 1, 2010, 05:10 PM
How long do electric fence chargers last?

I've got 3-rail post and rail fencing for my 2 sacrifice paddocks and 3 pastures. Above the top rail of the sacrifice paddocks, which are next to each other, is a strand of electric wire. I rarely use the fence charger but lately the horse in each of the sacrifice paddocks have been playing a bit too rough (they broke a dam*ed post overnight) so I turned the fence charger on. I vaguely remember it sounding a lot louder than it is and I thought it was a bit stronger when I tested it, but both my hearing and eyesight might not be as good as it used to be either. :sigh: The fence charger is 20 yrs old so I'm wondering if they have a life span.

Any thoughts on this???

An FYI, the horses(2) are out on good grass pastures thru the day, but in separate sacifice paddocks at night as both are air-ferns.... :( :(

msj
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:59 AM
Bumping this up as someone must have an thought. How about Tom King chiming in?

Guilherme
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:56 AM
All electronic devices have a "useful life." I don't know the maximum for a fence charger. Assuming it survives lightning storms, power outages, power surges, etc. then it should run a long time. Maybe the best way to assess the health of the charger would be to use a fence tester that shows the voltage being generated. As long as that stays up then you're OK. If it's falling then the end may be near! ;)

G.

Thomas_1
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:58 AM
They do indeed. I fix everything and sadly I've just had to put my hand in my pocket and buy 2 not one but TWO new fence chargers.

My old ones were only 30 years old and fixed about 3 times a piece.

This comes VERY hard for a tight fisted Yorkshire Farmer whose war cry is:

"HOW MUCH!!"

GallopHer
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:20 AM
I've had my fence charger for 21 years. It is still going strong and has never needed repairs.

Foxyrab
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:22 AM
My charger is 25 years old. It's been repaired a few times, but it still delivers a good charge.

msj
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, a dumb question, but what is done in the line of 'repairs'?

Also, the charger "might" be on for about 10 days/yr max! Just enough to occasionally remind the boys that they don't need to chat over the fence. :sigh:

msj
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
They do indeed. I fix everything and sadly I've just had to put my hand in my pocket and buy 2 not one but TWO new fence chargers.

My old ones were only 30 years old and fixed about 3 times a piece.

This comes VERY hard for a tight fisted Yorkshire Farmer whose war cry is:

"HOW MUCH!!"

:lol: Thomas_1, I do understand where you are coming from as I'm of frugal, tight fisted, and extremely thrifty German/Welsh/English descent! :D

cowgirljenn
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
Even if it is only 10 years old, something could have happened to it. I lost mine at just 2 years during Hurricane Ike - I'm suspecting a lightening strike as the charger was still there and was still in one piece. but it sure didn't work...

Foxyrab
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:33 PM

Speaking for myself, I don't really know what the "repairs" entailed. The charger had probably been damaged by lightening and was clicking loudly but not delivering much of a charge. It's a PEL charger that I purchased from Kencove fencing, so I sent it to them, they fixed it, and sent it back.

anchodavis
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:37 PM
If you want a real cheap way to test if your fence is charged, take a long blade of fresh grass, hold one end in your fingers and lightly touch the other tip of the grass to the wire. If it's working you'll feel a slight tingle (i think this works because the moisture in the grass will transmit just a little of the charge; it does not work with dry grass I don't think). Of course, you won't know how strong the zap would be to the horses, but at least you'll know if it's still charging.

Thomas_1
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:45 PM
Or save the trouble of picking up grass and just touch the fence tape ;)

Bluey
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
We test with a screwdriver, with a plastic handle.
If it arces, it is working.:yes:

msj
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
Or save the trouble of picking up grass and just touch the fence tape ;)

NO WAY!!! One of the horses was so afraid to get near the fence that he wouldn't walk into his stall. I had to go out and bring him in, not once, but twice. :D

Guilherme
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:16 PM

Also, the charger "might" be on for about 10 days/yr max! Just enough to occasionally remind the boys that they don't need to chat over the fence. :sigh:

I've had a number fixed over the years. There are circuit boards inside that occasionally malfunction.

Then there are the aforementioned lightning strikes. Or infestations of insects, spider egg cases, wasps nests, etc. These can cause internal shorts. Note that if you taking the charger in for repair bag it or carry it in the bed of the truck. That can save "interesting" moments in traffic. :lol:

G.

msj
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:38 PM
I've had a number fixed over the years. There are circuit boards inside that occasionally malfunction.

Then there are the aforementioned lightning strikes. Or infestations of insects, spider egg cases, wasps nests, etc. These can cause internal shorts. Note that if you taking the charger in for repair bag it or carry it in the bed of the truck. That can save "interesting" moments in traffic. :lol:

G.

Hm, I'll check it out a bit more in the morning when the boys are out in the big pasture.

Uh would you explain why bagging it or putting in the bed of the truck and "interesting" moments in traffic??????

Ruth0552
Jul. 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
I just had one die that was only 3 years old, if that. It was a Parmark too. I couldn't get it to carry much of a charge either. I have two solar chargers also for separate paddocks and I've moved one to my sacrifice paddock since the Parmark (a plug-in) died. Both seemed to produce SOME charge, as the fence clicks where it is tied.

I would really like to find one that carries more of a punch though. Neither of my solar charges appears to do much of anything on my two grass paddocks. Good thing there's grass in them.