PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question Regarding Attire

Mtn trails
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:32 PM
I need some clarification and knew I could count on CoTH. :) I am planning to start going recognized this year after doing just unrecognized so I was reading the rulebook to refresh my memory. Under attire, it says for dressage, breeches in a light color or white (sic). Is that required? I don't have any breeches in a light color (I prefer dark for hiding those less than attractive cottage cheese thighs) and have always thought that black would be perfectly acceptable.

So, do I need to start shopping or is black okay? If not, I guess I can always wear Smart Slims. :D

Thanks.

deltawave
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have never seen anyone compete at a recognized HT in black breeches. (other than XC, of course)

White is certainly not required (and traditionally is NOT suitable for women anyhow) but I wouldn't wear black or count on getting away with it. Time for some nice, medium-beige breeches that fit well, are comfortable, and that you like. Eventers themselves don't care about "appearances" like other disciplines do, but rules-wise (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) I really don't think black breeches will fly in dressage.

Welcome! :)

Janet
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:03 PM
I was apprenticing (SJ) at an event where a rider turned up in black britches.

After she completed her SJ round, the judge asked her to come to the judge's stand and speak to her.

It turned out that her show britches had some sort of dryer accident at the last minute, and the black ones were the only clean pair.

The judge effectively said "In that case it is OK, but please don't do it again".

So at least one judge thinks black britches are not legal.

soloudinhere
Jul. 1, 2010, 05:30 PM
If it says "white or light color" in the rules then yes, that's required.

Certainly I have never seen black and I am pretty sure that is not permitted.

retreadeventer
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:31 PM
You can find tan, beige, or "sand" colored breeches that will not show every mark and pucker -- I had a similar problem and found two or three brands that fit just fine and did not show everything. You want a stretch fabric with some "heft", such as the cord type, not necessarily the flat weaves. The ones with elastic waist and even the ones with the fit with a bit more room in the hips and thighs are good too. I chose full seats so I could wear them all day for all phases. Kerrits, Irideon, and those types seem to be the most flattering and come in the colors required. Many like the F.I.T.S. brand, too, and I've heard enough about them to really want to try a pair for my next big expense! Don't panic, you can find a pair that works. But sorry the color does have to be in the required range. Just stay away from that green beige and any white or cream.

Fancy That
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:42 PM
<SNIP> But sorry the color does have to be in the required range. Just stay away from that green beige and any white or cream.

Wait - can you clarify what you mean by 'stay away from green-beige'?

I'm a crossover from Hunters and only wear my TS breeches in what I think is considered "greenish-beige" It was the "in color" for Hunters.

I've ridden in them for all my dressage tests. Albeit - only unrecognized and schooling level. Was planning to wear them for my first recognized BN though.

From a distance, it just looks beige. But again - I'm pretty sure it's what I would have considered the "green-beige" tone.

Here's a pic:
http://www.bohtack.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TylrSP%5FLdSupHntBr%5F1981

Here's another one, TS "Green Beige"
http://www.pc-cheats-codes.com/games-image-large/tailored-sportsman-ladies-breeches-28-green-beige-nr_190407146226.jpg

One more:
http://www.countrytack.com/breeches/royalhunter.jpg

IS THIS OKAY FOR DRESSAGE?

Gry2Yng
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:14 PM
green beige is fine, I have ridden CCI's in green beige. Black is not fine. You really do need a light color.

retreadeventer
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:19 PM
In my opinion....the first one is beige. The next two are not. They are some variation of green or dark tan.
Strictly speaking I would interpret the rule as LIGHT COLOR. If you read the entire rule, it specifically
DRESSAGE TEST.
a. Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—Hunt Cap—black or dark blue; Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted; Shirt—white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots.

And for stadium/show jumping:
7. JUMPING TEST. Hunting dress or uniform. Protective headgear, with chin harness, designed expressly for equestrian use in accordance with paragraph 1 above. Hat covers other than solid black or dark blue are not allowed. Coat—dark color or tweed (if Novice through prelim.) Shirt—stock with pin, choker or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots.

I don't think you would get anyone freaking out if you wore the green beige.....but....Strictly speaking, light colored isn't really defined, but do we really need ANOTHER rule? Light -- beige, cream, hunting color I would think. I mean you can have light blue, light yellow, light pink....but I do not think that is what they mean by "light color". I think they are looking at the conservative hunting attire and wanting light beige, since that is the root history of English attire generally.

But hey I learned something new -- if you wear a stock you MUST wear a pin! I didn't know that. My pins are already on my stocks, but it's a good reminder to make sure.

deltawave
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:03 PM
Cat-sick beige (the TS color) is perfectly fine. :)

Janet
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:18 PM
Cat-sick beige (the TS color) is perfectly fine. :)
It is LEGAL.

Whether or not it is "fine" is a matter of personal opinion!

Gry2Yng
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:12 PM
It is LEGAL.

Whether or not it is "fine" is a matter of personal opinion!

Touche!

retreadeventer
Jul. 2, 2010, 07:50 AM
Cat-sick beige! I love it!
Out of style around here anyhow...but golly white is REALLY out of style, too. I think you only see white at Rolex anymore.
I used to wear white a lot but haven't even put them on for a couple of years.

graytbmare
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:17 AM
This might be the art major in me, but IMO if you are wearing a dark jacket (black or navy) then wouldnt the light colored breeches just look better? Im not very fashionable, but I just threw my dressage coat (black) on with my black breeches... not a good look besides being illegal. Its wayyy less flattering; I look like Im wearing a hideous pantsuit! But I think black breeches for xc looks pretty badass besides being practical :)

cnvh
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:07 AM
I have godawful cottage-cheese legs, and I can't stand light-colored breeches. My "happy medium" for (unrecognized) eventing is a pair of Irideons in a nice shade of grey. It probably wouldn't fly for recognized events, but it'll do for the level I'm at.

Zephyr
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:09 AM
Didn't realize the coat rule was "dark or tweed"... does that mean you can wear hunter brown or charcoal coats? I think they're so pretty, but have never seen one worn in dressage at an HT.

GotSpots
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
I see a LOT of the green-beige at local one-days in Area II, in addition to beige. Some light gray, but less common. The green-beige is much easier to keep clean/neat on a busy day (and more flattering than white to most of us mere mortals).

Janet
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
Didn't realize the coat rule was "dark or tweed"... does that mean you can wear hunter brown or charcoal coats? I think they're so pretty, but have never seen one worn in dressage at an HT.
Yes

gottagrey
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:27 PM
The only time I think you can wear dark breeches for dressage might be if you are in the military and are wearing their "uniform" Get your self a nice pair of somewhat loosely fitting light breeches - TS makes a kind of baggyone (comes in lots of colors for those of us w/ less than perfect figures...

as far as jackets go - norm is black or navy; I have seen some tweeds; shucks in the summertime if it's hot jackets are excused most of the time for dressage anyway so make sure you have a nice shirt!

Mtn trails
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
Well, I guess I'll be shopping then. I didn't think about how my navy coat would look with black, thanks for bringing that up. I do have a couple pairs of cat sick beige but they're both knee patch and wear them very seldom, as in never. I'm currently liking the Ovation full seats, not too clingy and seem pretty durable plus being reasonably priced.

abowls
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:26 PM
So is light gray acceptable. It is a light color but I never see anyone at events wearing it. Actually contrary to what a few others have said on this thread I see a ton of white being worn.

bambam
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
if it really is "light" grey, then it is fine.
My regular horse trial breeches are the Irideons in a color called "willow"- looks kind of like a light grey (Irideon also has a dark grey breech that I would not wear for dressage). I also used to use another pair of light grey breeches at HT's and I never had anybody take issue with them.

Beam Me Up
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:46 PM
So is light gray acceptable. It is a light color but I never see anyone at events wearing it. Actually contrary to what a few others have said on this thread I see a ton of white being worn.

Think so (gray being light colored). I used to see it more like 20 yrs ago--when I was little. My "show" breeches when I first started eventing were gray. I see less white than I used to, I assumed b/c we now have more 1-day events (so it's not like you have a separate dressage day).

I believe that attire is judges' discretion--they have some leeway if you ride in with dark breeches, while they have to eliminate you if you enter dressage in boots. FWIW, you will stand out less in light breeches b/c everyone is wearing them. And they aren't flattering on many people.

fooler
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:50 PM
I wore light gray breeches quite often back in the 90's and received NO comments from the officials. However these were 'light' gray, a color which seemed to disappear for several years. Have only recently noticed this color in the stores & catalogs.

Fancy That
Jul. 2, 2010, 04:59 PM
I wore light gray breeches quite often back in the 90's and received NO comments from the officials. However these were 'light' gray, a color which seemed to disappear for several years. Have only recently noticed this color in the stores & catalogs.

I used to have Harry Halls in the late 80's in a light "dove grey" :)

Interesting thread. I was worried about the TS "green-beige", which is what I have. It sounds like they are border-line.

For what I do - I don't think it matters to much. They are also, gasp, not full-seat. Again - I'm a Hunter cross-over, and dont' even have a dressage saddle :)

poltroon
Jul. 2, 2010, 05:04 PM
I would agree the green-beige is borderline as to whether it's a light color. What I'd say is that the officials will let you ride with them, but that you'll stand out. That may be good or bad. I don't find them super attractive personally, especially not with a black or navy coat.

tlw
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:17 PM
Not to hijack to thread, but. . . . I'd love to see a tweed jacket and brown top boots in a fall HT. I'm a white pant and black jacket guy but I guess I'd have to go with tan breeches with tweed. Maybe someday. :)

Xctrygirl
Jul. 3, 2010, 11:35 PM
Cat-sick beige! I love it!
Out of style around here anyhow...but golly white is REALLY out of style, too. I think you only see white at Rolex anymore.
I used to wear white a lot but haven't even put them on for a couple of years.

Man Holley if you had been at Fair Hill today you'd see that the white is back and in force!!! It was awful... And sooo many cottage cheese folks walking around.

So I don't care what color you buy, just try to make sure you look at yourself in a full length mirror. One size too large with a belt does tend to hide the "cheese legs"

~Emily

poltroon
Jul. 4, 2010, 01:52 AM
I would say it's more important to pick a good fabric and a good cut than to try to fiddle with colors too much. Everyone knows white or beige is the uniform, and they won't think much about it. When you try to hide your weight by choosing a different color, you stand out and just invite people to look more closely.

retreadeventer
Jul. 4, 2010, 07:22 AM
Good point, Poltroon -- right cut, and right fabric does wonders. There are a ton of breeches out there -- pages and pages in the catalogs. I have found that spending $100 on a good pair is better than spending sales price money on poorer quality breeches. They make you look better -- and then you feel better, and that's gotta make you ride better!

eventer80
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
Around here, breeches run the gamut of colors........... greenish beige is common, along with white, and true beige. I have seen a couple of darker tan/brownish and it looked really good with black.........

So as long as it's not black or another obviously dark color, I don't think the judges care.

Beam Me Up
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think green-beige would bother judges. It might identify you as a "crossover" if paired with the rest of the hunter ensemble, but nobody will care.

My hat and x-c saddle (and probably a lot of other things) "give me away" at h/j shows too.

I'm going to try to forget I read post #27--I try to convince myself that most competitors are not noticing or judging my thighs.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'm going to try to forget I read post #27--I try to convince myself that most competitors are not noticing or judging my thighs.

To be fair I was neither a competitor nor a judge. I was a spectator, and by nature of the beast spectators watch and look at what's in front of them. On this occasion it was a side note of the fashion trends I saw. Believe me if you ride well that's great and I noticed that too, but someone in the crowd will still notice the appeareance aspect.

Case and point look at any long thread about Amy Tryon, Buck Davidson or Becky Holder. Even 4* riders are judged by the spectators on their thighs.

Mine are not small either, not huge. And I just recently was looking back at my pics and have decided that I need to change away from my favorite breeches because as comfy as they are, I can recognize in my pics that they do not flatter my overall appearence.

I care. If you just want to be comfy and happy with yourself, that's great!!! More people should be confident in themselves.

But to be more descriptive of what I was referring to, I saw people who had breeches on 2 sizes too small, with muffin tops pushing into their tucked in shirts and the fabric on the leg stretched to capacity even as they were off their horses and walking around. Because so many of the people in this category were wearing white breeches it was VERY hard not to see.

I was not referring to the people who wear the correct size and while bending over a jump you can see some tension in the thigh area of a breech that isn't there during the rest of their rides.

I am positive that people have tsk tsk'ed at my thighs at some point. And will again in the future. It's not my key focus. But since I agree that eventing takes a lot of preparation and training for both horse and rider, one thing I believe I can do is to enhance the turnout of my horse and I. To do this I am trying to find clothing that flatters my look enough that the judges focus on my horse and his strengths and not my physical flaws. Sometimes bad fashion is distracting enough that the judge takes their eyes off your awesome horse long enough to go from a 7 to a 5.

I apologize if I came off sounding like a "sizeist." I am not. I just think that eventers right now are choosing to prioritize purchases and training choices that may bite them in the butt. Herd mentality is great for sheep, but we aren't sheep. The "en vogue" equipment and clothing that BNT's use may not be the best stuff for you and your horse. But everyone needs to learn how to determine this for themselves.

~Emily

Straightarrow
Jul. 4, 2010, 01:45 PM
I would advise being careful with britches color.
While the TS British Khaki is a classic britch I saw it cause a tempest in a teapot at a PC Regional Rally.During formal inspection the rider was given points off for wrong colored britches. PC required white or khaki at the time. The Mother lodged an inquiry, complete with the page from the catalogue, describing the britches as "British Khaki". Mother won.

However, and more to the point - USEF rules for Eventing now allow competitors inappropriately attired to be eliminated, at the judges discretion. EV136.2.a.4
Be aware, there are judges out there who will eliminate you at the drop of a hat - as in no colored hat covers in SJ either !!

Beam Me Up
Jul. 4, 2010, 02:19 PM
Xctrygirl,
Sorry, I meant that in a much more light-hearted way than my post conveyed--was not trying to bash you.

Sure, we've all giggled over fashion atrocities, we're all human, and it's hard not to notice. I can even remember one from a season 15 yrs ago--a fellow YR turned up in the silliest outfit, every event, and I kept wondering if anyone was going to say anything to her.

And I take your point that we should all make the most of what we have, and not distract the judge away from our performance (unless that was the plan--perhaps it was a secret "look at my thighs, not my downward transitions" strategy :-) . . . )

I do think that many women have some body "complexes," and feel insecure sometimes wearing the clothes required for the activity (whether it's breeches or a bikini). My personal pep-talk-to-self is that everyone is in the same boat, and nobody else there will be as worried about my body appearance as I am. But as you pointed out, not always the case.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 4, 2010, 02:30 PM
And I take your point that we should all make the most of what we have, and not distract the judge away from our performance (unless that was the plan--perhaps it was a secret "look at my thighs, not my downward transitions" strategy :) )

Ok you now owe me a new keyboard!!! I seriously died on that one. LOL just doesn't cover it!! ;)

I will have to try that sometime.

~Emily

KSevnter
Jul. 5, 2010, 07:34 AM
I see a LOT of the green-beige at local one-days in Area II, in addition to beige. Some light gray, but less common. The green-beige is much easier to keep clean/neat on a busy day (and more flattering than white to most of us mere mortals).

So would the irideon color sahara be okay? I have always worn traditional beige for one days but was planning on wearing a pair of these at a local ht next weekend (just training level). It is so much easier to keep clean and my boot polish doesn't show up as much on the slightly darker color. I am in Area II.

The one third from left is pretty much the true color, it may be slightly lighter in person: http://www.equusunlimited.com/products/Irideon_Bellissima_Knee_Patch_Riding_Breech-4374-181.html

flutie1
Jul. 5, 2010, 10:13 AM
Not to hijack to thread, but. . . . I'd love to see a tweed jacket and brown top boots in a fall HT. I'm a white pant and black jacket guy but I guess I'd have to go with tan breeches with tweed. Maybe someday. :)

Technically, brown top boots should only be worn with scarlet - (I assume you mean black boots with brown tops?)

deltawave
Jul. 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
Have I wandered into the H/J forum? People snarking about dimensions of thighs and shades of beige? How pitiful and sad. :(

GET OUT OF MY SPORT, O SHALLOW ONES! ;) And stop looking at my butt! :D I don't care what it looks like, why should anyone else?

Auburn
Jul. 5, 2010, 12:09 PM
Actually, Dorothy Crowell rode a BN dressage test in a lovely brown/green tweed jacket at Hagyard MidSouth Team Challenge two years ago. Since it was in the Fall, it looked quite nice.

She was the first person that I had ever seen wear a tweed coat.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 5, 2010, 11:50 PM
TS Green is not a borderline light color. It IS a light color. Some people just don't care for it for aesthetic and/or shall I call them, moral reasons. I also had that pretty Harry Hall grey when I was a kid. Loved those britches. Wore them in the hunter ring, tho. The colored helmet cover is a whole other can of worms and it WILL get you eliminated if you have a judge in a bad mood.

justkidding1989
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:42 AM
Tan breeches is traditional
White for Prelim and up, but ok at Novice and up if u really feel the need, white breeches is somewhat an earned piece of attire.

yventer
Jul. 6, 2010, 01:38 AM
(snip)
Be aware, there are judges out there who will eliminate you at the drop of a hat - as in no colored hat covers in SJ either !!

As in the year the USEA decided that women couldn't wear white britches for dressage. EVERYONE knew it was ridiculous, but there were many dressage tests with "Incorrect Attire!" prominently marked on them that year. Or worse, points off. USEA eventually acknowledged that "someone" had been a little too literal with the "hunt dress" standards. But I remember that year: all the ladies having to scramble to find "correct" britches for dressage.

As a side bar, WHERE AND WHEN was that rule ever put to the general membership for discussion, even if we had no voice? I've seen, and yes, been a "victim" of behind-the-scenes rule changes. But shouldn't we at least know what "they're" discussing?

Yvonne

PrelimPinto
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:39 AM
The only two colors I have EVER seen at any recognized event have been white and the standard light tan! I've been competing for years, and haven't ever seen anyone wear black breeches in dressage or show jumping for that matter, schooling or recognized! It's not an optional thing. Also, I saw that you put Navy coat, you may want to check if that's legal! I've only ever seen black and tweed (which is what the rules state as legal, nothing else!) At the preliminary and intermediate levels, I mostly see white breeches for dressage. If you're asking for opinions between tan and white, I think white looks nice and actually quite professional for dressage. If I were you, I'd be less worried about what your legs look like, and more worried about whether or not your attire is correct!

PrelimPinto
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:41 AM
Tan breeches is traditional
White for Prelim and up, but ok at Novice and up if u really feel the need, white breeches is somewhat an earned piece of attire.

I don't really see it at earned, I see it as:
Adult riders in beginner novice-white
Novice (everyone) and up-white!

Pretty simple if you ask me!

Albion
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:42 AM
Also, I saw that you put Navy coat, you may want to check if that's legal! I've only ever seen black and tweed (which is what the rules state as legal, nothing else!)

The rules state "dark color[ed]" or tweed jacket - since when has navy NOT been a dark color?

PrelimPinto
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:44 AM
The rules state "dark color[ed]" or tweed jacket - since when has navy NOT been a dark color?

Someone posted previously "Black or tweed." I was going by what they said, if that makes sense to you.

deltawave
Jul. 6, 2010, 08:00 AM
Plenty of navy coats in dressage, including shadbellies at Rolex.

Rule book.

Catalina
Jul. 6, 2010, 09:36 AM
Here in Area II, I see a ton of white at all levels and TS puke green. I got my best dressage score ever at a recognized (21.6) wearing puke TS's and a navy coat.

tarheelmd07
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:07 AM
So I will freely admit that there is a bit of a fashion-conscious hunter princess hiding under my very-attached-to-my-neon-pink-xc-gear eventer exterior...which is now trying to figure out an apparel color question...related to my lovely brown field boots :)

so according to the rule book, for dressage, boots should be "preferably black dress or a black full grain leather leg piece and matching leather boot" - but for XC/SJ "black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots". So what I take from this is that if I want to wear my brown boots for XC or SJ, no problem...but what about dressage? It says black is preferred...but not required...

I have both a lovely dark brown coat and a conservative tweed, either of which would be dressage-legal per the rule book - and which I thought would be fun to wear for dressage in the fall - but can I wear my brown boots with them (as they'd look better with brown than with black)?

And to further complicate the fashion question...what about a brown helmet or hunt cap? Seems like the answer is no, given that the rule book talks about black or dark blue...but if brown boots and tweed are allowed...it'd look so much better with a brown helmet...

ok...superficial fashion-conscious moment over...trust me, I do know what you wear is not the be-all, end-all here...but it would be nice to get a little more use out of some of the conservative-yet-fun things hanging in my riding-clothes closet :)

Trixie
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:19 AM
Also, I saw that you put Navy coat, you may want to check if that's legal! I've only ever seen black and tweed (which is what the rules state as legal, nothing else!)

If you're going to quote the rule book, at least get it correct:

a. Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—Hunt Cap—black or dark blue;
Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted; Shirt—white or light color, with
stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white;
Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black
or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps and/or
half-chaps are not allowed.

b. Horse Trials (Intermediate and Advanced) & Three Day Events. As above except no
tweed coat. When tails are worn: Top Hat—black or dark blue; Shirt—stock with pin;
Gloves (required)—white or dark color; Britches—as above; Boots—preferably black
dress or a black full grain leather leg piece and matching leather boot. Chaps and halfchaps
are not allowed. Members of armed and police forces, service dress with gloves,
regulation headgear and spurs in accordance with EV114. Protective headgear may be
worn without penalty. (See General Rules, GR801)

The rules for hunters state that breeches should be "white, buff, or canary" for formal attire. That being said in the hunters it isn't really considered traditional for ladies to wear white breeches, since women in the hunt field don't. Naturally, these colors have been interpreted somewhat, as cat-vomit green really in no way resembles "buff."

I've sort of always considered white breeches earned as well, but I come from the H/J side of things, and then only for jumpers.

OP, yes, you have to wear light breeches. If you want to avoid them being unflattering, buy a slightly larger size and belt them, and make sure they're a material of a decent thickness.

deltawave
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:21 AM
If brown boots is what you love, wear them. But please don't even THINK about a "hunt cap" unless it's ASTM-SEI certified! :(

tarheelmd07
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
If brown boots is what you love, wear them. But please don't even THINK about a "hunt cap" unless it's ASTM-SEI certified! :(

No worries there! When the brown boots were acquired as a very thoughtful anniversary gift...I gifted myself a matching brown on brown GR8 :)

I've seen one too many TBIs during med school and residency...my hunt cap is now doing double-duty as a home-decor item in my horsey-room at my house and as a piece of head-gear for the occasional horse/owner photo-session...It seemed silly to keep wearing it for dressage when I'd never ever wear it to school in at home...

but the question still remains...can I wear my brown helmet with my brown boots?

Gry2Yng
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:34 AM
So I will freely admit that there is a bit of a fashion-conscious hunter princess hiding under my very-attached-to-my-neon-pink-xc-gear eventer exterior...which is now trying to figure out an apparel color question...related to my lovely brown field boots :)

so according to the rule book, for dressage, boots should be "preferably black dress or a black full grain leather leg piece and matching leather boot" - but for XC/SJ "black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots". So what I take from this is that if I want to wear my brown boots for XC or SJ, no problem...but what about dressage? It says black is preferred...but not required...

I have both a lovely dark brown coat and a conservative tweed, either of which would be dressage-legal per the rule book - and which I thought would be fun to wear for dressage in the fall - but can I wear my brown boots with them (as they'd look better with brown than with black)?

And to further complicate the fashion question...what about a brown helmet or hunt cap? Seems like the answer is no, given that the rule book talks about black or dark blue...but if brown boots and tweed are allowed...it'd look so much better with a brown helmet...

ok...superficial fashion-conscious moment over...trust me, I do know what you wear is not the be-all, end-all here...but it would be nice to get a little more use out of some of the conservative-yet-fun things hanging in my riding-clothes closet :)

We are soul mates when it comes to fashion. I never dress up in "real people" clothes any more. I express myself thru my equestrian fashion. But I really don't expect other people to notice or care. :D

soloudinhere
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:05 AM
No worries there! When the brown boots were acquired as a very thoughtful anniversary gift...I gifted myself a matching brown on brown GR8 :)

I've seen one too many TBIs during med school and residency...my hunt cap is now doing double-duty as a home-decor item in my horsey-room at my house and as a piece of head-gear for the occasional horse/owner photo-session...It seemed silly to keep wearing it for dressage when I'd never ever wear it to school in at home...

but the question still remains...can I wear my brown helmet with my brown boots?

By the rule quoted above, you can through Preliminary at recognized horse trials. The "Preferred" statement doesn't appear until describing intermediate and advanced.

graytbmare
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:14 AM
So this is a bit off topic, but since we are talking about clothes then maybe not. I saw one woman (emphasis on woman, not child or teenager) wearing exactly 8 different shades of pink on xc. I kid you not. I have a witness, a super blurry photo on my phone and we counted. She was one of the few to run around the training course double clear and it was a gorgeous round. Point being: Wear whatever you want, so long as it fits you and follows the criteria of the usea rules, if you can back it up. No one can really make fun of the rider wearing the pastel pink breeches who won the class on a 27....

And for the record, I do not own such breeches....

nextyear
Jul. 6, 2010, 12:44 PM
So this is a bit off topic, but since we are talking about clothes then maybe not. I saw one woman (emphasis on woman, not child or teenager) wearing exactly 8 different shades of pink on xc. I kid you not. I have a witness, a super blurry photo on my phone and we counted. She was one of the few to run around the training course double clear and it was a gorgeous round. Point being: Wear whatever you want, so long as it fits you and follows the criteria of the usea rules, if you can back it up. No one can really make fun of the rider wearing the pastel pink breeches who won the class on a 27....

And for the record, I do not own such breeches....

I saw a outfit just like you described on a adult this last Fall in S. Carolina can there be more than 1 adult out there that has that much love for the color pink????

KSevnter
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:47 PM
The only two colors I have EVER seen at any recognized event have been white and the standard light tan! I've been competing for years, and haven't ever seen anyone wear black breeches in dressage or show jumping for that matter, schooling or recognized! It's not an optional thing. Also, I saw that you put Navy coat, you may want to check if that's legal! I've only ever seen black and tweed (which is what the rules state as legal, nothing else!) At the preliminary and intermediate levels, I mostly see white breeches for dressage. If you're asking for opinions between tan and white, I think white looks nice and actually quite professional for dressage. If I were you, I'd be less worried about what your legs look like, and more worried about whether or not your attire is correct!

Just FYI, the vast majority of tail coats are Navy (midnight) blue, I know mine is. The white vs. tan thing more has to do with what is in fashion. I know in the late 90's early 00's I only wore tan through the ** level and that was the norm. Seems like white is back in fashion though.

retreadeventer
Jul. 6, 2010, 10:28 PM
Oh, the horror! White breeches are BACK...OMG...please, tell me it ain't so....no, no, no, nooooooooooooooooooooo............I'm fainting from the shock of it...or from the heat, it was 105 today I think.....white breeches, holy mother of mercy do not make me wear those, Puleezz!!!!!! I'm having cottage cheese nightmares! I'll never eat it again, I swear! (rolls eyes back in head, covers mouth in shame)....

Gry2Yng
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:17 PM
Just FYI, the vast majority of tail coats are Navy (midnight) blue, I know mine is. The white vs. tan thing more has to do with what is in fashion. I know in the late 90's early 00's I only wore tan through the ** level and that was the norm. Seems like white is back in fashion though.

KOC wore "tan". So everyone wore tan in the early 00's. Team started working with R Dover about 2005 and he was appalled by tan and hunting breast plates. Everyone switched back to white, and ditched the BoB breast plates, except maybe KOC, who probably doesn't give a rat's tush what RD thinks. You have to wear light britches. After that, do what works for you. I find 8 shades of pink appalling, but if you can ride to back it up, so be it.

Janet
Jul. 7, 2010, 04:54 PM
The brown boots are fine for all three phases.

But the brown helmet is only legal for SJ and XC.

Violation of attire rules is "at the discretion of the Ground Jury" So you could check with the GJ in advance if it is that important to you.

Ibex
Jul. 7, 2010, 05:25 PM
So what about field boots with burgundy coloured tops for SJ...? :uhoh:

Not for Dressage - I have dress boots for that.

And yes, I am female, and have just made every die-hard traditionalist faint in horror :lol:

soloudinhere
Jul. 7, 2010, 05:39 PM
Agh, field boots with tops, the mind boggles, cannot comprehend to answer this question.

OK I will. While not prohibited by the rules, probably in poor taste since beyond the fact that females should wear patent tops, tops are NEVER on a field boot.

Janet
Jul. 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
Burgundy is neither black nor brown

nextyear
Jul. 7, 2010, 07:09 PM

Canary and cream are very common.......