PDA

View Full Version : Rodent patrol - JRT alternatives?

easyrider
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone! I currently have no dogs but am fond of and comfortable around all breeds. I'm just not a big JRT fan, nor is one of my immune-compromised cats who is terrified of dogs. The problem with the cat is he's a great mouser but not a ratter, and I'm going to need one, I'm afraid, come winter. Any suggestions for breeds, sex, experience, etc? I keep wondering about working dachshunds. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

dr j
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:22 PM
Almost all of the terrier breeds will have some affinity for vermin control, it will vary based on the individual. Pick a breed you like for other reasons and inquire with the breeder about vermin control. Keep in mind that almost any dog that has the high drive needed to "want" to be diligent about rat control will also most likely have thing for your cat to some degree.

I had a Lakeland Terrier for years who would take on anything.....and did. She weighed 14 lbs and routinely killed groundhogs that our much larger dogs ( admittedly pushovers-setters) couldn't handle.

To add; that same dog lived very easily in the house with our house cat but any outside cat that ran.... she was after it.

carolprudm
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:22 PM
My dachshunds have great prey drive and will go after rats and woodchucks and bunnies. However they WILL also chase cats. They know they are not supposed to but if the cat runs sometimes the dachshunds can't resist.

If your cat is afraid of dogs can you get another cat?

Bluey
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
Dogs won't make a dent in a rodent problem, not enough hours in a day.
If you want a dog, get it because you like that kind of dog for a companion.
What will you do, keep the dogs in a kennel and turn them loose at night to try to chase mice and rats down?
Dogs can't go where rodents go, up and down walls and obstacles, cats can, other than in little holes.;)

I have a rat terrier and she does get her share of mice and rats, some as large as she is.:eek:
She doesn't chase rabbits or cats if I tell her not to.
Still, that doesn't make a dent in the rodent population, where for everyone you see, there are hundreds that you don't.

Use traps or poison, if you are sure nothing else can get to the poison, or a commercial rodent control business.

Go Fish
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
My cats are now confined to the house because I've got coyotes in the neighborhood.

I currently have two Corgis. They are very good at catching rats. They do rat patrol every morning. They can't reach high places in the feed room, but I just use a broom to chase the rat down, and BANGO, dead rat in about 2 seconds.

My dad always had an Australian cattle dog or two (or three) around and they were good ratters, too. They are terrier-like when they go after vermin...absolutely tenacious. They can have somewhat difficult personalities, though.

sisu27
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:03 PM
I have this thing:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2918887040103114374CzQOVJ

It's a German Hunt Terrier. But if you dislike JRTs you would out and out hate this things guts because she makes them look dull, lazy, obedient ;) She's 25 lbs of insanity but a more tenacious creature I may have never met. She lives with cats and thinks they are her buddies but god help any other creatures that cross her path. She is a sweet and affectionate little creature in her calm, cuddly moments but a killing machine otherwise.

Anyone wanna borrow her?

PRS
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:14 PM
My friend has a West Highland White Terrier. She is an excellent ratter. If there is a rat in the vicinity she won't rest until it is eliminated. She will also snuggle with you on the couch and sleep at your feet.

AKB
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:44 PM
We used to have rats and mice despite trapping. Then, a fox moved in somewhere on our property. We have been 100% free of rodents for several years. I don't know how you get a fox to move in, but ours is a wonderful rodent killer. She patrols the barn every night, helping herself to a few sparrows and occasional squirrels.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
Oddly, the best rodent-killer I ever had was a Lhasa Apso.:yes:

But you don't want one for a barn dog. The coat's a lot of work, even when they live in the house - and they will insist on living in the house. Plus, they bite. Unlike James Thurber's dog who bit people, Lhasas will eventually get around to biting everyone, even Mother.:lol:

Like AKB, I also will attest that since Reynard took up residence near my barn, I hardly ever see a rodent. But I've no idea how I came by this good fortune. Maybe the coyotes and the bobcat moved on and the foxes saw a niche open up. Whatever. I like it.:cool:

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:21 AM
Oh SiSu I want that German Terrier of yours. All the dogs look wonderful & like they're having a great time. Do I see a standard poodle in the pic? Took one of my JRs to a pond I have on another farm & after walking around where we were feeding the fish I got her out & let her see them jumping for the feed. All at once she took a big leap & went swimming. She was gonna catch herself what she thought was a water rat. Scared to death she was gonna get on a snake so called her back & thank goodness she came to me. Daddy wanted to take all my dogs & I'd have had a heart attack at that. My smallest will attack whatever it's standing near if you only say the word "mouse" in normal conversation. She would still be swimming until she either drowned or caught all the fish in the pond!!!

alto
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:37 AM
Have you tried clicker training or treat training with your "fraidy cat" - if you find the right motivatior, cats are very fast learners ...
I think Rat Terriers still hold the record for most rats killed in a set time: with numbers such as 1000 rats in less than 100 min, I think a dedicated rat-killer is definitely going to help with a rat problem ;)

You could also look into local snakes & ways to make your property "snake friendly"

easyrider
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
I had a feeling I might get some ideas I'd never thought of. Clicker training! Pick a breed I like and then inquire about vermin control! Corgis! And more. I had a fox who lived in the back pasture but I haven't seen her lately. And snakes are around here. It's definitely snake friendly.

But last winter, I saw my first rat and everything I tried to do (all gathered from other COTH threads) failed to get them. Now I'm really thinking the answer is a dog, which I'd love to have anyway if I could figure out how not to overly upset my cat (clicker training!).

Carol - I do have another cat, an old witch. I'm not sure if you're suggesting I trade this one in for another, but I couldn't do that.

And yes, sisu27, I do want to borrow your dog.

carolprudm
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
Carol - I do have another cat, an old witch. I'm not sure if you're suggesting I trade this one in for another, but I couldn't do that.

No, of course not. I was suggesting an additional cat

easyrider
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:28 PM
I should have known better than to ask! I've had as many as seven cats here and am glad to be down to 2 now!

sisu27
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:32 PM
Oh SiSu I want that German Terrier of yours. All the dogs look wonderful & like they're having a great time. Do I see a standard poodle in the pic? Took one of my JRs to a pond I have on another farm & after walking around where we were feeding the fish I got her out & let her see them jumping for the feed. All at once she took a big leap & went swimming. She was gonna catch herself what she thought was a water rat. Scared to death she was gonna get on a snake so called her back & thank goodness she came to me. Daddy wanted to take all my dogs & I'd have had a heart attack at that. My smallest will attack whatever it's standing near if you only say the word "mouse" in normal conversation. She would still be swimming until she either drowned or caught all the fish in the pond!!!

She's all yours!! You too easy rider!

She is a TOUGH dog to own. I understand why hunting breeds should stay hunting breeds. I do admire her toughness and tenacity but it doesn't always make her easy to live with. Yes, you do see a Standard Poodle. That is a combined pack of my GHT, Dobe and my parents Standard Poodle and Dobe. The GHT (Lola) is also an incredible water dog. Her feet are huge paddles and she can and will swim all day. As soon as you open the door she runs screaming into the lake!

She is a fearless, tireless hunter to the point that you have to stop her or she would probably go until she expired. I have found her buried under things after hours of excavating. She will run her prey down until it drops. She can climb, swim and jump beyond the point that I have ever seen a dog be able to. We have no problems with any sort of vermin/rodents with her on patrol.

So, I would highly recommend such a dog for your problem with the caveat being she is non-stop and can be exhausting to be around and I have yet to get a reliable recall on her. She is quite agreeable until the brain shuts off and then it is very hard to get through. That and she is nearly impossible to contain. She generally sticks around but when she wants to go she can get out of just about anything.

Good luck! Let us know what you choose. Once you narrow it down to a couple breeds you like, check out petfinder.com. 3/4 of the dogs in our pack were found via that site.

easyrider
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I will. But can't I just BORROW her?

leilatigress
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have a min pin and mini schnauzer. If I could trade the Mini schnauzer for a different bark I would recommend them as his tireless energy and pursuit of the enemy is a real beauty to behold. I vote for the Corgi since they are incredibly hardy, equal parts stubborn mules and wonderful clowns. They are a bit for grooming and the females do blow their coat when in heat so get a boy. Any of the terrier breeds will work and you might try adopting a terrier mix from your local shelter. Or talk to the breed rescues and see if they have any that might fit the bill. When talking to the rescues though emphasize the dog will be inside and only out under supervision.

kookicat
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have two Yorkshire Terriers, and they live to hunt rats. I've seen both of them work together to corner a rat, then the youngest dog went in for the kill. They will also kill mice.

I don't have any cats here but do have chickens, rabbits and guiena pigs that the dogs ignore. I think if you introduced the dog to the cat as a pup, they would be fine.