PDA

View Full Version : Vet Wrap for XC

GallopGal
Jul. 1, 2010, 12:56 PM
Do people do this...use vet wrap and tape instead of polos or boots. I think I saw that some where and I think that is what people do on the racetrack. If not what boots to you use to match the rest of your tack?

snoopy
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:33 PM
Do people do this...use vet wrap and tape instead of polos or boots. I think I saw that some where and I think that is what people do on the racetrack. If not what boots to you use to match the rest of your tack?

Instead of?! No not me. I do not know of what protection you will get from vet wrap. Any type of wrap on XC is not really a good thing. I have however seen some people wrap their brushing boots with vet wrap either to keep the boot secure or to add colour to match their personal XC attire.

But vet wrap on its own...ah no.

joiedevie99
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:38 PM
At the racetrack you probably saw exercise bandages. Most would do a thin quilt/liner/porter leg protector with a saratoga bandage over it. However, I have seen vet wrap on top instead of a saratoga bandage.

advmom
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:42 PM
You can also see vet wrap over the front xc boots which have "tubey grip" on under the boots.
The tubey grip is there to prevent any rubbing

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
that or you are thinking about when people use Porter boots.

These are a thin hard bit of foam (not really sure what it is) that you cut to fit your horse. You then hold it in place with vet wrap. We used to use them all of the time for xc. It get's expensive with the vet wrap since you use a roll a leg...so for just HTs we would sometimes use saratoga bandages instead of vet wrap and save the vet wrap for wet competitions or three-days. You had to make sure you had something to cut the vet wrap off in your kit that you had at the vet box for the big threedays!

Here are porter boots

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Porter_Leg_Protectors_p/0040.htm

Most of use don't worry about matching our boots to our tack or colors...that get's a bit over the top. But if that is what tickles your fancy...some boots like Woof boots....have straps that come in a lot of different colors.

wolfmare
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:43 PM
They do use vetwrap- usually with a thin sheet of cotton on the race track. Totally different situation when you are looking to help a leg hitting a jump, or a tendon if the horse backs off.
But for color coordination ? I've seen folks wrap their stirrups to make "pretty". That kind of pretty is up to the rider, but use a good boot under!!!

Freebird!
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:54 PM
At the racetrack you probably saw exercise bandages. Most would do a thin quilt/liner/porter leg protector with a saratoga bandage over it. However, I have seen vet wrap on top instead of a saratoga bandage.

Normally it IS vetwrap on Raceday - either with or without cotton padding underneath. We normally wrapped without padding, as teh padding can often times let dirt inside, and cause the bandage to slip. We used colored Electrical Tape to match the silks, or farm colors. Of course ANY time you are wrapping legs with Vetwrap, you have to be VERY careful, and VERY good at wrapping. It took me a LOT of practicing - and I went through a LOT of Vetwrap - before I was comfortable enough to wrap legs for races, or workouts.

For CC though, I'd say you for sure need more protection then just vetwrap. You can use Cross Country boots, and wrap Exercise tape around them, to match your colors. Just make sure it's around the boot itself, and not tight around the leg.

vbunny
Jul. 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
They are called run-downs. I used to use them on a little horse that had a scar under his hind ankle. When he really dug in it would hit the ground and break open again. I used the cotton, vet wrap and the plastic stick-ums under the ankle. Worked great.