PDA

View Full Version : Proper humidity level for tack?

FoxChaser
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
We finished our barn in the fall of 2008 and had no humidity problems with the tack room until this summer. It is CRAZY humid in there now! I'm starting to have to fight the mildew on my saddles :( I'm looking at putting in a dehumidifier, but am wondering what the ideal humidity is for tack- 50%? 40%?? Thanks!!

asuits
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:02 PM
I was told the same as the ideal for you, which is between 35 and 50%

Bluey
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:23 PM
I was reading your question as "proper HUMILITY level for tack".:rolleyes:

I was furiously thinking if you meant you didn't want to ride in top of the line, fancy saddles, or didn't want other than plain browbands, or what would help keep your tack HUMBLE.:lol:

Ok, yes, humidity levels, if you can manage them, should be around 30%.

cyndi
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:53 PM
I have a separate tack building, insulated and air conditioned. It is so humid here (30 miles from Texas Gulf Coast) that I had to get a dehumidifier in ADDITION to the air conditioner to keep my tack from mildewing....:eek:

FoxChaser
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ugh!! And I thought it was humid here! Thanks for the info folks. We'll get something to put in there. I can't stand mildewed tack :(

kinnip
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:51 PM
While a dehumidifier may be the best solution, I've had some really good results using those disposable containers of moisture sucking stuff. I have no idea what's in there, but I needed something on the fly and Wal-Mart had these cheap. One tub lasted about three weeks. I'm not crazy about all the wasted plastic, but it did save my tack.

cyndi
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:34 PM
While a dehumidifier may be the best solution, I've had some really good results using those disposable containers of moisture sucking stuff. I have no idea what's in there, but I needed something on the fly and Wal-Mart had these cheap. One tub lasted about three weeks. I'm not crazy about all the wasted plastic, but it did save my tack.

Damp Rid. I tried this too, along with the AC, before I got a dehumidifier. I was going through the stuff like crazy - even the large containers would be swimming in liquid in about 3 days.:mad:

The dehumidifier was more cost-efficient!