PDA

View Full Version : "We think she might be bred" - Craigslist ad

FatDinah
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:16 AM
I snorted when I saw this ad on the Nashville TN craigslist for a nanny goat.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/1820056769.html

From the photo, I'd say, yeah, I think she's bred and ABOUT TO POP out twins!!

AppJumpr08
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:30 AM
Could be. Could not be. I have a goat here who is just about that round and there is no way on this green earth that she's preggo.

kinnip
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
I have a couple that look like that unbred. My head doe, a LaMancha, has been fat, fat, fat since I brought her home. She actually slimmed up a little during pregnancy.

SGray
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:34 AM
Could be. Could not be. I have a goat here who is just about that round and there is no way on this green earth that she's preggo.

ditto that

danceronice
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
Oh, she's a pygmy? We had dwarf goats at the zoo where there was NO way they were pregnant (and in a couple cases were actually male) but you would swear they were going to have triplets. Might be pregnant, especially if she's been in with a buck, but she might just be fat.

Go Fish
Jul. 1, 2010, 03:42 PM
Perfectly normal appearance for pygmys. Mine were strays and I panicked when I first got them, thinking I was going to shortly have more goats than I bargained for. Had the vet out and he assured me they were supposed to look like they were ready to pop any minute.

My DH, who is not animal friendly, thinks they are just having abnormally long pregnancies.

Epona142
Jul. 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
It's because of their rumen.

Goats have a rumen, which SHOULD be big and full. It's healthy.

The rumen is on the left side, kids (if there are kids) are usually carried on the right.

My goats go out of the barn "skinny" and come back "fat" because the rumen expands as they fill it with roughage.

I have goats who look like they are carrying around foals, but are just big healthy rumen carriers.

ALSO, a goat who has had multiples more than once, can have torn or stretched stomach ligaments which makes them appear pregnant when they are open.

Oh, and hello all! I'm a goat breeder from Texas. They call me the Goat Whisperer. Been lurking around reading topics for a while now.

:)

kinnip
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
Funny! I like to tell folks my LaMancha has a "well developed rumen".