PDA

View Full Version : Wireless driveway alarms- who has one?

katarine
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
There are several to choose from, and I'd be dealing with some woods between the sensor and the receiver, not a ton but some...can anyone here chime in (hee hee hee) on the system they have and how well it works? Thanks.

Tiki
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:17 AM
I don't have one, but there's an old Inn across from the end of my street on a private road. They have one. I don't know where the sensor is placed, but their road curves and has woods and NO ONE sneaks up on them! :lol: Even when no one is staying at the Inn, if someone drives in to visit the pub and/or restaurant, they meet you at the door. They always know when someone is coming.

Could you put the sensor above the woods, but still in your drive?

ShotenStar
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:19 AM
I have this one:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-981-dakota-alert-wpa-3000-wireless-probe-alert-3000-driveway-alarm.aspx

LOVE IT!

The way my property is shaped and situated on a hill, someone can come up the driveway, make the turn to the house and I cannot see or hear them if I am in the barn or arena. We have one receiver unit in the barn and one in the house, so even when the house is closed up with the AC or heat running, we still know when a vehicle comes up the drive (without the annoyance of a unit that would be triggered by deer).

The only word of advice I would give is make sure the sensor probe is buried in the middle of the drive, not along the edge. Husband Person did not want to dig through the stone dust drive, so placed our sensor along the grass edge of a turn. If the vehicle drives along the other edge of the curve, the sensor does not always register.

*star*

Bluey
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
Check with these people, they will tell you what you need:

http://www.dakotaalert.com/

katarine
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:28 AM
Could you put the sensor above the woods, but still in your drive?

umm- huh? Above the woods?

draftdriver
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:39 AM
I have one. Some vehicles don't set it off, and sometimes it gets set off with nothing in sight. Go figure. :confused: But I'd rather have it than not. I also have a sender in the carport. With my system, one can set the gate alarm to ring on the receiver with a different tone than the second (carport) sender. That way, if someone gets by the gate alarm without it sounding, at least they will trigger the carport alarm if they are messing about in there.

ShotenStar
Jul. 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
... and sometimes it gets set off with nothing in sight. ....

Ours reacts to lightening. It is a very good indicator of an approaching storm, since strikes several miles away will trigger it. If we are in the house during a bad storm, I will sometimes turn off the house receiver unit.

*star*

wateryglen
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:36 AM
We had one that was always going off.....not sure why but we know we have too many deer, bear etc. that set off the alarm. Gave up on it.

Tom King
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:54 AM
Our pack of dogs is wireless and no one ever arrives unannounced.

ToiRider
Jul. 4, 2010, 12:24 PM
Our pack of dogs is wireless and no one ever arrives unannounced.

LOL, mine too!

tabula rashah
Jul. 5, 2010, 05:44 PM
We had some- they were called guinea hens- LOL!!

Our creepy landlord when we used to rent had one- he used to count the number of times we drove in and out of the driveway, because he was obsessed with his driveway and thought that we were using it too much. His wife complained that everything set it off, esp all the deer

nmcbride
Jul. 14, 2014, 12:25 PM
To avoid those false alarms I'd recommend getting a magentic one. I've got his one -http://www.absoluteautomation.com/dakota-alert-2500-deluxe-magnetic-probe-driveway-alarm-system/ and it's been great.

knightrider
Jul. 14, 2014, 02:23 PM
This might be a t/j, but are there alarms and are there things that record when cars in the driveway? I ask because I farm sat this weekend for a place that had a thing on their fence and i wondered if it was recording times i drove in /out... or maybe it was just an alarm. Never seen one before.

nmcbride
Jul. 14, 2014, 03:25 PM
This might be a t/j, but are there alarms and are there things that record when cars in the driveway? I ask because I farm sat this weekend for a place that had a thing on their fence and i wondered if it was recording times i drove in /out... or maybe it was just an alarm. Never seen one before.

That was likely just a driveway alarm, if it looked like any of these sensors - http://www.absoluteautomation.com/driveway-alarms/infrared-driveway-sensors.html it was Infrared driveway sensor.

crosscreeksh
Jul. 14, 2014, 03:52 PM
We had one that was always going off.....not sure why but we know we have too many deer, bear etc. that set off the alarm. Gave up on it.

We had this same problem!!! Tall grass blowing, fog...whatever. We took it down and let the dogs warn us now!! We have an excellent view 1/2 mile to the end of the drive, but sometimes a UPS truck sneaks right up to the house when we aren't aware!! Better that than round the clock beeping IMO!!