PDA

View Full Version : $580 to enter AEC's

Jagged
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
ENTRY: AEC: Early entry discount Opening Date to Aug. 3 - $280.00 ($80 USEA Nominating Fee and $25 non refundable office fee included); Aug. 4 to Closing Date - $380.00 ($80 USEA Nominating Fee and $25 non refundable office fee included)

STABLING: $200.00 Wed, Sept.8 to Mon, Sept.13, $30.00 for each additional day.
Stall deposit: $25.00 (separate check).

GROUNDS FEE: $100.00 (for competing horse not stabled on grounds)

Is this higher than in previous years? It seems like an exorbinant amount of money, and will surely be discouraging the lower level riders, and those travelling in. When adding in hotels, gas, food... I'm looking at nearly $1k. For one weekend. That seems a little... insane.

Putting on my flamesuit, but I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions on that. I wonder what the entry lists are going to look like..............

soloudinhere
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:19 AM
well, coming from hunterland, I couldn't help but to think "that's astonishingly cheap." We pay an easy $2k for 4 days at an A show, not even a national level one.

National level shows aren't cheap, and they're only going to get more expensive as fewer competitors go and the costs have to be spread over fewer riders and horses.

saje
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:31 AM
I seem to remember paying close to that at Lamplight 3 years ago. Stabling ends up being about $33/ night if you stay all that time, which is a deal compared to most events.

Chatt Hills venue is gorgeous, and huge. It's going to take an immense amount of organizing and set-up, and all sorts of amenities to keep an AECs crowd happy and the whole thing functioning smoothly - and alas that doesn't come cheaply. It will be done right, that is seriously becoming a kickass facility!

It IS a chunk of change, but I think it's pretty fair. I wish I were going...

ETA - It's only $480 if you enter before Aug 3rd :D

inquisitive
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:48 AM
Agree with the others who said it's much cheaper than H/J shows :lol:

I am going to go 1. because it looks like a gorgeous facility and a lot of fun, 2. I love away shows because I get to forget my day job for a couple days, and 3. I am not sure how long my guy will be able to compete and want to enjoy every minute with him. We are qualified so I said, why not? We don't show over the summer months because of the hard ground so I'm saving up :)

I think the cost for stabling is very reasonable (might just seem like a lot because of so many days) and the entry fee is just 200 when you take out the nominating fee. That's not much more than any other event...

On another note, anyone else from around MD who wants to caravan or stable together please contact me!

GreyDun
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:49 AM
Timeout... look at it again. If you get your entry fee in before August 4th, it's $280. That's probably less than $100 more than a non-championship event. And this $280 includes the nominating fee, because don't forget that this is a championship event...THE championship event.

And read the refund section carefully. If you have to withdraw before closing date, you get your ENTIRE amount back (yes, including stabling) but minus $25. If you withdraw after closing date, you get the your entry fee back, but minus stabling. It's generous.

As far as stabling goes, it's $200 from Wed - Mon. That's not outrageous. And this is top-class stabling, too - most of it is permanent, and the temporary stalls are going to be really nice as well.

There aren't any other events that offer this amount of prize money and prizes (well, outside of Rolex) - there are many people who're working their tails off to make sure that this is special for everyone. Sure, we can't all afford to go every year, but everyone should try to come at least once.

Also - I just want to say that the USEA really does try hard to make sure that everyone, from all levels, is included in our media coverage. We post photos of every single rider who competes in the cross-country and show jumping phases, and try to do as much video as possible. It's not just about the big guys - it's about everyone, and it's about the experience. We feel that if you qualified to be there and made the trip (no easy feat), you deserve recognition.

sarah88
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:16 AM
i thought it was very reasonable for what it is...i remember as a kid going to pony club championships btwn entries and stabling it was easily in the same range. thats less than 50 a day for stabling which is less than at some of the regular HT's. im really looking forward to going! should be a good time at as top notch facility :)

Auburn
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:22 AM
At Lamplight, I paid $500 to enter. It covered everything and there was no "early discount".

This sounds like a great option to me! :D

TwinGates
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:44 AM
well, coming from hunterland, I couldn't help but to think "that's astonishingly cheap." We pay an easy $2k for 4 days at an A show, not even a national level one.

National level shows aren't cheap, and they're only going to get more expensive as fewer competitors go and the costs have to be spread over fewer riders and horses.

My thoughts exactly - esp. about the cost of H/J shows . . . and when you get to GP level, $480 is about the cost of entering the class (assuming $30,000 in prize money or LESS) + the nominating fee. Oops, and to do the GP you're required to also compete in the Welcome Stakes - add another $150. Office fees, stabling, etc. are on top of this.

The AEC's are a DEAL when viewed in that light!!

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
I LOVE the early entry discount!!! Heck yeah :) Definitely taking advantage of it :)

But man... I just worked my butt off this month to save up for the Fall... I did the math... between my August event as prep for the AECs, the AECs, the T3D, and a T3D clinic.......HOLY COW!!! That's a whole lotta money. And I'm going to have to work more extra shifts to cover the rest of it... not to mention the adequan and the chiro etc.

Now if I can just find time to ride to prep in between all these extra shifts....

But heck yeah!!! I'm getting sooooo excited!!! How much more fun can a gal have?!? AEC's, T3D clinic with Doug Payne, then the T3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeehaw!!!

melodiousaphony
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:59 AM
I just entered Millbrook and, at Training and with stabling, it was over $300. Maybe something like $360?
If I weren't sneaking in a coffee break, I'd check ;)
It was expensive, but it's the quality of the event and what it takes to run it. The jumps alone aren't cheap, never mind the bank complexes, etc. (Having been a boarder at a facility hosting a recognized event really puts all this in perspective).

barnmaven
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:49 PM
Do most shows charge a stall stripping fee? Seems like I remember someone telling me the area they moved from never charged this fee.. It always bothers me just a little. (.......and God bless who ever thought of doing away with this fee at the Carolina Horse Park) I usually figure the hotel is just a $10-20 bucks a night more and I get clean sheets and towels.

melodiousaphony
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:07 PM
Do most shows charge a stall stripping fee? Seems like I remember someone telling me the area they moved from never charged this fee.. It always bothers me just a little. (.......and God bless who ever thought of doing away with this fee at the Carolina Horse Park) I usually figure the hotel is just a $10-20 bucks a night more and I get clean sheets and towels.

I'm used to it being a deposit... they keep the money if you don't clean your stall and the check is ripped up or returned if you do clean your stall.

Painted Wings
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah its a lot but they probably will still lose money. When you look at what a regular recognized event costs and then you look at all the extra officials, course preparation, etc. Its really not bad. Lamplight was about the same price. Seemed like a lot when I wrote the check but after helping out on the organization end of a few horse trials I've learned that its a big celebration if you can even break even. Having been to a couple of AECs in the past at Lamplight I guarantee that it costs easily this much to host this event.

RunForIt
Jul. 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
Timeout... look at it again. If you get your entry fee in before August 4th, it's $280. That's probably less than $100 more than a non-championship event. And this $280 includes the nominating fee, because don't forget that this is a championship event...THE championship event.

And read the refund section carefully. If you have to withdraw before closing date, you get your ENTIRE amount back (yes, including stabling) but minus $25. If you withdraw after closing date, you get the your entry fee back, but minus stabling. It's generous.

As far as stabling goes, it's $200 from Wed - Mon. That's not outrageous. And this is top-class stabling, too - most of it is permanent, and the temporary stalls are going to be really nice as well.

There aren't any other events that offer this amount of prize money and prizes (well, outside of Rolex) - there are many people who're working their tails off to make sure that this is special for everyone. Sure, we can't all afford to go every year, but everyone should try to come at least once.

Also - I just want to say that the USEA really does try hard to make sure that everyone, from all levels, is included in our media coverage. We post photos of every single rider who competes in the cross-country and show jumping phases, and try to do as much video as possible. It's not just about the big guys - it's about everyone, and it's about the experience. We feel that if you qualified to be there and made the trip (no easy feat), you deserve recognition.

Here's a plug for coming and volunteering - just this morning had a friend contact me from "up north" and she's coming - I plan on camping at least one night just to be out there with all the fun! Hope to see lots of COTHers riding and volunteering!

Make sure you go to the the USEA website and watch the new AEC video...lovely, REAL, look at courses and stabling and real competitors. A young woman I've watched grow up from an 8 year old child cutting out valentines while her mom evented to now eventing and WINNING herself is on the video...loved it!!!! :cool:

Almost Heaven
Jul. 10, 2010, 08:56 PM
We qualified, but frankly can't afford it. Even with the early discount, it's $480 (including stabling, which you have to get). A very sad day when eventing becomes a rich kid's sport.

RunForIt
Jul. 10, 2010, 09:37 PM
We qualified, but frankly can't afford it. Even with the early discount, it's $480 (including stabling, which you have to get). A very sad day when eventing becomes a rich kid's sport.

what's the charge for hauling in each day? I bet you could find folks willing to give your horse a stall for the week...I'm 75 minutes from Chatt Hills pulling a trailer - bet there are eventers closer than me willing to have you stable there. :cool:

GiGi
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:42 PM
Full Gallop is costing me $347. The early discount price of $480 for a National Championship does not seem out of line to me. Its also 3 days instead of two.
Entries in other disciplines for World or National shows are higher than regular rated shows as well.

Noctis
Jul. 14, 2010, 04:58 PM
Honestly it doesn't seem all that expensive to me, for a national championship show. Especially since Chatt Hills is amazing. Heck, a regular event isn't too much cheaper!

secretariat
Jul. 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
Let's look at it another way - why not make the quals a little more stringent, and ask the USEA to pick up the entry as a reward for accomplishment? Entrant would still have to pay stabling and travel.

fillygreen
Jul. 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm laughing because out west, that's the NORM for a stupid normal event, not counting championships and there is no such thing as shipping in for a majority of shows. PLUS there are no once day shows around here like back east. I need to move! lol
I went to Galway in Oct of last year for a novice level and spent over 1K including everything. Ridiculous.

deltawave
Jul. 15, 2010, 10:58 AM
A very sad day when eventing becomes a rich kid's sport.

Umm, horses are a "rich kid's sport". Let's not delude ourselves here.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
NO kidding... my new quicken thing does the little pie chart thingy....

Sadly... it's like.... huge pie piece for horse fun...huge pie piece for horse care... itty bitty pie piece for food, itty bitty pie piece for human fun (but honestly...horse fun is my fun), small piece for bills, and.... it'll change I'm sure once the mortgage goes through but... :eek::eek:

SevenDogs
Jul. 15, 2010, 03:40 PM
Let's look at it another way - why not make the quals a little more stringent, and ask the USEA to pick up the entry as a reward for accomplishment? Entrant would still have to pay stabling and travel.

Um.... Because USEA is just overflowing with surplus cash....right?

USEA is run on DUES. I guess we could just raise those tenfold and make it all work. Seriously people. Showing is not a right.

We all operate on a budget and that includes Organizers AND USEA. These fees are not out of line and no one is forcing you to go. To think someone else should foot your show fees is ridiculous. There are plenty of things that I would like but can't afford or have to give up other things to get. It's called life.

GiGi
Jul. 16, 2010, 01:09 PM
Bravo SevenDogs!

flutie1
Jul. 16, 2010, 01:25 PM
At Lamplight, I paid $500 to enter. It covered everything and there was no "early discount".

This sounds like a great option to me! :D

Not to belabor a point, but the $500 entry fee at Lamplight included stabling and the $80 "nomination fee" (or whatever it was called) that went to USEA.

secretariat
Jul. 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
"Um.... Because USEA is just overflowing with surplus cash....right?

USEA is run on DUES. I guess we could just raise those tenfold and make it all work. Seriously people. Showing is not a right."

Dues are a relatively smaller part of the USEA budget (calc it -$80 or so x 12,000). Obviously, the money must come from somewhere - sponsorship, donations, etc. But I can't think of a better way to reward accomplishments of our members. There's a lot of money being spent on things that are a lot less important to me than membership.

SevenDogs
Jul. 16, 2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry, Secretariat. As a long standing USEA member, subsidizing other members entry fees to the AEC's is absolutely LAST on my list of priorities and I think there are an awful lot of other members that would agree.

If you want to go to a show, you pay your entry fees. It is as simple as that. Having USEA pay AEC entry fees would NOT benefit the membership, it would benefit a select few and I can think of a whole lot of places the money (if even available) would be better spent.

It amazes me that people think of USEA as the power wielding, wealthy group, when frankly, it is a fairly small organization RUN BY MEMBERS.

If you want to have subsidized AEC entry fees, then YOU should volunteer to try to raise sponsorships or work with Organizers in some other capacity to raise funds specifically for that purpose. Expecting others to do it for you is "entitlement thinking" which drives me crazy.

Pay your own way or get out there and make things happen. Don't expect others to do it for you.

deltawave
Jul. 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
But I can't think of a better way to reward accomplishments of our members.

Jeez, I can. I've been a paying member since 1995 and have qualified for the AEC *twice*. I'd much rather see my membership fees go to supporting safety, keeping venues available for competitions, and for improving courses. If I am fortunate enough to qualify for a big show, I make it a priority to get there, including budgeting, or I don't go. That's my problem, not the USEA's.

secretariat
Jul. 16, 2010, 04:08 PM
SevenDogs & Deltawave - I respect your opinions but disagree in context, guess I was being too subtle. My point is that USEA should be doing more for 11000 members than the other 1000 upper level riders.

I've paid my dues with both money and volunteer hours.

SevenDogs
Jul. 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
My point is that USEA should be doing more for 11000 members than the other 1000 upper level riders.

Appreciate your opinion, but assuming that paying AEC's entry fees benefits 11,000 lower level riders (or whatever the actual membership numbers are) is flawed thinking.

If your argument is that the USEA already does too much for small groups (UL Riders in your post), paying AEC show fees benefits an EVEN SMALLER group.

corgigirl14
Jul. 16, 2010, 07:37 PM
Expecting others to do it for you is "entitlement thinking" which drives me crazy.

Pay your own way or get out there and make things happen. Don't expect others to do it for you.

Well said SevenDogs!

I totally agree with this statement and it bleeds over to many other things in life. It's too bad more and more Americans feel "entitled" about what they deserve in life. Riding and showing horses is not a right. We all have to make choices and sacrifices in life to get what we want. That's what makes our victories in the ring all that more special!

deltawave
Jul. 18, 2010, 04:27 PM
USEA should be doing more for 11000 members

The AEC didn't exist back when I first joined USEA. I consider the development of this event a huge perk for me, a member of the "other" 9,999. But how often have I gone? Once to show, once to volunteer. I'm probably not all that atypical, and I daresay that there are many thousands of members who have NEVER qualifed nor attended the AEC. Yet each and every paying member (assuming they compete) are jumping jumps that need to be safe, being judged by officials that need to be compensated and treated well, and using venues that might disappear at any time. That's where I'd prefer any "extra" USEA dollars go. I can subsidize my own entry fees. :)