PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Riders coming to Rebecca Farms

wildride
Jun. 30, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm surprised by the number of East Coast riders coming to Rebecca Farms in Montana. Does anyone know how they will be travelling? Kalispell has a small airport, but I couldn't imagine it would be possible to fly horses into there.
Phillip has quite a few in the CIC3* and Karen O'Connor is bringing Mandiba. There also looks to be quite a few Rolex horses entered.
http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/rebecca/ht0710/

gchildean
Jun. 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
Eventing Nation says they will be flying.

Highflyer
Jun. 30, 2010, 05:56 PM
I would guess they're flying to the nearest major airport--Seattle? Salt Lake City? I'm not sure what it would be. I went to Missoula to visit a friend last winter and we drove up toward Kalispell--it is amazing out there. But I wouldn't think either Missoula or Spokane had big enough airports, never mind Kalispell. I'm sort of jealous but my fat horse would die when he saw all those mountains!

subk
Jun. 30, 2010, 06:22 PM
Missoula is only about 2 hours away and it has a 9500 ft runway which is big enough to land just about anything.

wildride
Jun. 30, 2010, 06:38 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to fly horses into Missoula? I would guess that the riders would try to put all the horses together on one flight if possible.
I don't know much about flying horses and think it's amazing that they are making the effort to come to MT for such a great event.

subk
Jun. 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to fly horses into Missoula? I would guess that the riders would try to put all the horses together on one flight if possible.
I would think that there would be a significant savings if the three of them came together as the shipment containers for horses have three slots. Flying a single horse in a container made for three is the most expensive way to do it...

DLee
Jun. 30, 2010, 06:52 PM
How fun for the people out there to see all these great riders! It would have been a very big deal to me when I was still in Idaho. :yes:

three_dayer
Jun. 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
The airport is large enough at Kalispell to land there with horses, from what I heard they will be fed-xed there...if not kalispell, it would be missoula...SLC is a good 10 1/2 hours away and seattle is about 9 hours. I am not sure how much it is to fly horses across the country, but usually there is three to a pallet. I am very suprised to see how many east coasters are coming, that is very exciting. This will be a very fun year at Kalispell! lets just hope it doesn't get too warm there....

ElfMaian
Jun. 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
From what I know, the airport is not able to fly horses in here in Kalispell. But, it could be because of not having the equipment to move the horses, and we don't have a good quarantine facility.

RF started asking about flyling horses in from overseas soon after it was built, and I know it was a concern.

Calgary is the nearest large airport, but I would imagine that the horses would be flown into a different large airport.

I am quite excited to see that so many great riders are coming in. It is always fun to take photos of the big guys, as well as get to see the horses behind the scenes when grooming.

retreadeventer
Jun. 30, 2010, 07:46 PM
If anyone knows for sure how the horses will fly in and what airline, etc. I would like to know! How interesting!

Jun. 30, 2010, 07:57 PM
Just guessing, but I'll bet they fly into Calgary.

three_dayer
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:04 PM
Remember, going into calgary is going out of country, which means that they have to have all the paperwork to get in and out, and a major pain in the rear end. That saying it is still 5 1/2 hours to get to kalispell from calgary. If Kalispell can't handle the load, they will be going into Missoula.

3 Day Ranch
Jun. 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
I am sure that the Broussard family is delighted that they are all coming. Very exciting.

eventingismylife
Jun. 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
Like everyone else said, Missoula is the closet airport that they could fly the horses into. I remember a few years ago, maybe 2007, they all came over for the event as well. That was lots of fun.

Jul. 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Remember, going into calgary is going out of country, which means that they have to have all the paperwork to get in and out, and a major pain in the rear end. That saying it is still 5 1/2 hours to get to kalispell from calgary. If Kalispell can't handle the load, they will be going into Missoula.

Not hard at all, it's just a different health cert.

advmom
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:51 PM
All of those horses entered have travelled outside the US many times, it is simply a federal health cert., not really the big deal alot of people think it is.
the horses will fly out together to RF
It will be so nice for the Broussard family to see the horses owned by Mrs Broussard compete their for a first time.
It will also be great for the spectators at that great event to see a top notch field.
The Eastern riders who have never gone West will be amazed at the beauty and quality of that facility!

Robby Johnson
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:51 PM
I don't think quarantine is an issue if they stay within the US - just need a health certificate (no different than traveling over ground).

My one experience at RF was heaven, even though I saw it under many feet of snow. I LOVE ME SOME BROUSSARDS!

CdnRider
Jul. 1, 2010, 05:03 PM
I am so disappointed not to be competing there this year and even more so now knowing that such BNR will be competing there. In the past we have made the 10+ hour drive a bit of vacation; I got to compete at a world class venue and my husband got to do a tonne of golfing. Win-Win!!
Hope everyone has fun.

VicarageVee
Jul. 1, 2010, 05:06 PM
I believe they will fly into kalispell, as I know horses have flown into kalispell in the past. The word is that Becky Broussard has generously offered to fly these horses west.

We could not hope for more committed and enthusiastic supporters of our sport than the Broussards. RF is a phenomenal event, and I don't think we can thank Becky enough for what she has done for eventing.

I've no doubt the East coast riders will fall in love with the venue as so many of us have

HMF
Jul. 21, 2010, 01:12 AM
The horses did fly into Kalispell, I heard it was a total of 18. I guess it was quite the big to-do, lots of people went to the airport to watch.

eventingismylife
Jul. 21, 2010, 01:16 AM
The horses did fly into Kalispell, I heard it was a total of 18. I guess it was quite the big to-do, lots of people went to the airport to watch.

Yep, 18 horses in total, and it was a HUGE to-do! Eventing Nation got some good shots of their departure and arrival.
I wish I was competing up there this year so I could see them all compete, hopefully I will make it up to watch some.

brindille
Jul. 21, 2010, 03:21 AM
anyone know if camping and admission are free?? i'm trying to convince friends to do a minor detour on a roadtrip to check out the event...

retreadeventer
Jul. 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
It's begun! Dressage and the Young Horse stuff today.

The time schedule is at the website:
http://www.eventatrfarm.com/home.html

On Sat. and Sun., you can listen over your computer to the cross-country -- it's awesome, I've listened for a couple years:
http://www.whitefishradio.com/

For ride times and entries right now, go to:
http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/rebecca/ht0710/
That link will have results as soon as they get underway, too.

Here's a look at the course maps:
http://www.eventatrfarm.com/pdfs/2010%20RFE%20Course%20Maps.web.pdf

And a 12-page program with everyone listed:
http://www.eventatrfarm.com/pdfs/2010%20RFE%20Riders%20Bios.web.pdf

Please go to the website and check if these links aren't working. They have tons of stuff up there and links for everything, just keep clicking and you'll find it. Just for fun check the list of sponsors!
I think this may be the ONLY event in the world sponsored by a Sport Cattle Breeding company. You can't make this stuff up. :)

OH and GreyDun is out there for her employer reporting on the event, heard she had to utilize her newborn foal-chasing skills in the Denver airport (running to catch a plane!) :) Hope she has time to post here and let us know how it is going!
Go eventing!

DLee
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:04 AM
Wish I was there, hard to beat Montana in July!

RAyers
Jul. 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
Wish I was there, hard to beat Montana in July!

I am not sure where you went, but highs in the 80 and 90 with 99% humidity sound like Houston to me. Last time I was there it was 103 degrees on XC. We spent our time at the reservoir just on the other side of the hill to the south rather than the show.

Love Rebecca. Hate the heat and humidity.

badawg
Jul. 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
Almost no humidity, Reed. But 90 degree weather for sure!

I was entered this year, but had to scratch because of my own injury! Bugger! The mare was so ready!

mythical84
Jul. 22, 2010, 01:32 PM
All horses flew with PRO Sponsor H.E. Tex Sutton Forwarding Company (http://www.suttonforwarding.com/).

PRO is doing a great job of keeping everyone updated via
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Professional-Riders-Organization-PRO/108989235797217?ref=ts

Blog: http://professionalridersorganization.blogspot.com/

Many thanks to Hannah Sue Burnett for the photos, videos and postings.

three_dayer
Jul. 22, 2010, 04:14 PM
Right now it is about 65 and raining, I am wearing a jacket and might put on a sweater too....it is supposed to get a bit warm but nothing like three years ago, that sounded miserable. The event is going really well and it is fun seeing all the well turned out horses and all the very nice horses....