PDA

View Full Version : Who has trained with Amy Barrington?

KBG Eventer
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'm going to be graduating from high school next spring, and I'm in the middle of narrowing down my college choices. One of my favorites is Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC. I still need to look at it in the fall, but I'm already investigating the eventing scene around there. I know Amy is in Landrum about 30 minutes away, and I've heard great things about her as a trainer.

Who has trained with her? Does she take any boarders? Thanks! :)

bip
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
She comes to New England once or twice a year for clinics through which she has become one of my favorite trainers in the whole universe. I can't say enough good about her. Last summer I had the pleasure of meeting a few of her students and no surprise, they were top notch horsemen.

One of my favorite things about her is her ability to size up a horse/rider immediately and give them exercises that safely push the limits of what they think they can accomplish. You know they say it's not just practice that makes perfect, it's perfect practice that makes perfect. She gives students really challenging exercises, but ones she knows they can do so they end up building on success.

This spring I was briefly in town and got to see her farm. Even though I didn't see the xcty jumps, I can't imagine that you and your horse wouldn't love it. What a great opportunity for you!

There are only a few other trainers in the universe I would gush about like this, I promise!

magnolia73
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:22 AM
A friend of mine who is a very good rider rides with her- she has a pretty green horse. Has only had positive things to say about her and feels that she has really helped her progress. I think she hauls to her farm for lessons, but I am not sure- I think she has mentioned that she came to her farm as well.

That area is pretty good for eventing and riding in general.

KBG Eventer
Jun. 30, 2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks!

I'm pretty excited about the school itself and having a good trainer nearby would be even nicer. It would be great living near an eventing area! I will probably call her when I know I'm going to visit the school so I can check things out.

Tundra
Jun. 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
I rode with Amy for about 8 months when I lived in Phoenix. That was about 20 years ago and she hasn't gotten rid of me since.:) Besides being a great teacher, Amy is also a really nice person and is a great person to share ideas with.

I have also bought six horses from her and had her sell a horse for me, one of the few I didn't purchase from her. She is super honest and will tell you absolutely everything she knows about the horse.

The farm where Amy keeps her horses and teaches lessons is on the trail system and it is about a 25 minute hack from the FENCE x-country course.

MTshowjumper
Jun. 30, 2010, 04:42 PM
I am currently not eventing, so I haven't ridden with her for a while, but I rode with Amy on my extremely difficult TB mare. She was awesome to lesson with, and I have ridden with some of the best. She has a cute little farm, and I believe she takes boarders (I hauled in from Greenville myself a few times a month). There are plenty of places nearby to school XC, including FENCE. You would have a blast.

laurelo
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
I haven't ridden with this trainer, but I go to Wofford, and I would highly encourage you to check out the area (just like you're doing!). Coming from a not-very-horsey area in Tennessee, I can tell you that the eventing community here is spectacular! I have really enjoyed being in South Carolina... and with Tryon such a short drive away, it is a really simple afternoon or weekend trip to do anything you want up there. :)

merry_one
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:57 AM
Amy is one of the best, and a class act to boot. Watched her get on a very difficult horse last summer that had been donated the to local university riding program. He had a LONG history of rushing to the fences. The girl riding him had done a valiant job but... Anyway 20 minutes later Amy had him jumping to the base of the fences, calm and happy. She has a great work ethic, communicates clearly what she wants you to do... wish she lived around here!

I highly recommend her.

Shrapnel
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:38 AM
In that area I highly recommend Beth Perkins. I have been riding with her since March and she is hands down one of the best instructors I have ever had. Here's her website: www.bethperkinseventing.com

Amy is great also. She coached me at FENCE once and I really liked her.

Wofford would be a good choice :) A friend of mine goes there and loves it!

Good luck with everything!

CapturinYerRide
Jul. 2, 2010, 10:16 PM
I grew up in Spartanburg, and I can say first, congratulations on Wofford! I wish I had sense enough to recognize what was in my back-yard way back then in the pre-sattelite days....

Amy is really good. She has her feet on the ground. Important to recognize though is that, when you train in Tryon, which this is, they are sort of separate from Areas II and III that they are on the cusp of. In that sense, it doesn't matter who is your local trainer here. They all work very sympatically with each other so you can get a really well rounded experience. That includes Annie Maunder right here, Amy Nichols over near Clemson, Janna Bankston, and a host of others. It's almost like a separate area right in FENCE's back yard..

You won't miss out..!!

KBG Eventer
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:58 AM
I grew up in Spartanburg, and I can say first, congratulations on Wofford! I wish I had sense enough to recognize what was in my back-yard way back then in the pre-sattelite days....

Amy is really good. She has her feet on the ground. Important to recognize though is that, when you train in Tryon, which this is, they are sort of separate from Areas II and III that they are on the cusp of. In that sense, it doesn't matter who is your local trainer here. They all work very sympatically with each other so you can get a really well rounded experience. That includes Annie Maunder right here, Amy Nichols over near Clemson, Janna Bankston, and a host of others. It's almost like a separate area right in FENCE's back yard..

You won't miss out..!!

Cool! I guess my biggest obstacle will be finding the time to keep riding, but it sounds like I will have some good motivation to keep me going.

Event4Life
Jul. 3, 2010, 05:55 AM
If you can, I would recommend not bringing your horse first semester. That way, you'll have time to shop around without the pressure of worrying about finding a place quickly and ending up somewhere you/your horse is not happy with. Also, you'll have a chance to get used to college, meet new people, and have some fun without constantly worrying about going to the barn or feeling guilty for not going. Wofford probably has an Equestrian Club you could join to meet new people and get some riding time. It will probably be HJ, but it wont kill you to take some HJ lessons for a semester.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 3, 2010, 10:21 PM
Not to steal the thread for too long but,

I'd love to know how Platy is doing and if he's full on retired or out to field or ummm whatever. He was a great eventer for me and I enjoyed watching his success with Amy knowing that he and I won a few blue ribbons to start his career off.

~Emily

ElfMaian
Jul. 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
I know Amy briefly from a long time ago when I was an event kid traveling around with my mother to shows. She was a nice lady, and my mother did ride with her a bit, and liked her.

I to would love to know how Platy is doing. When I was younger, a friend and I got to ice his leg together in his stall after XC. I felt very special to be able to ice such a high level horse's leg.