PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Chevy Duramax Diesel

LoveJubal
Jun. 29, 2010, 05:47 PM
Anyone have a new 2010 Chevrolet 2500HD?

If so, are you happy with it?

My husband and I are trying to decide if we want a Chevy or a Ford. We are leaning toward Chevrolet right now, but I wanted to get a few comments...

Please tell me what you think! (Please include how you use it - Hauling frequently, once a week, once a month, farm use, regular vehicle, etc.)

Tom King
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:47 PM
Sorry, mine is not a 2010. It's a 2001. #28 off the original Duramax assembly line. So far total maintenance has been replacing the batteries after 7 years and a 7 cent push nut for a broken plastic clip on the tailgate handle rod which broke right about at 9 years old. 163,000 miles. Original brake pads are still good. Tires on there now have 110,000 miles on them and are getting close to needing replacement.

These trucks have an awful reputation for injector problems after a bad batch in 2002. Mine are still original. I always wondered how many of the "problem" ones showed up with diesel fuel in the crankcase right before the 200,000 or 7 year warranty ran out. I have appreciated enjoying this truck so much that I wouldn't cheat GM and intentionally put fuel in the crankcase just to get new injectors.

I've pulled way over rated load a few times. The truck only said, "Come on let's go". Mine doesn't have a Tow/Haul mode. It has a Tow/Haul Ass mode while towing in quiet comfort.

I wouldn't trade it for both a new Dodge and a new Ford. It's been one of the few things I've ever bought that turned out better than I thought it would be. I'll probably have to break down and buy another one in 7 or 8 more years.

To me, the best number of truck payments is 1. I like to make one payment and drive it till it drops. Looks like that's a long way off right now.

Tom King
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:57 PM
The most useful thing I replaced on it was the fuel tank to a 56 gallon Transferflow. We can go almost anywhere we go over a weekend and not have to stop to refuel. There are other companies that make plastic replacement tanks, but I like this steel one and their larger filler neck so we can refuel at truck stops with the big nozzle. Truckstops have large turnover of fuel and always keep good filters on their pumps, contrary to a lot of small stations that also might have a pump for diesel.

http://www.transferflow.com/GM_fuel_tank_systems.html

Also, I think one reason that I've had good luck with the injectors is that I ALWAYS run either an FPPF or Lucas lubricity additive.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:28 PM
My eventer Sis-in-law has a 2008(?) Duramax and it is the best truck! She loves it, it hauls beautifully, gets amazing gas mileage and has had no issues mechanically to speak of. I am green with jealousy.

I have a F350 V10 gas Ford truck. I can pull a house with the damn thing, but it sucks gas and is more expensive to drive than their crew cab long bed is, by far.

I like how the Chevy handles better than my Ford, too. Lower to the ground, better turning radius, smoother ride. Can you tell my next truck will be a Duramax?!

Guilherme
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
I've got an '08 Duramax. Same engine (LMM) as the '10 model. So far, so good. ;)

The '11 trucks will have a new varient, the LML. Should be hitting the lots in July.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/? is a pretty good place for Duramax information.

G.

MDPONYMOM
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hubby has an '08 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD that has been all pimped out by American Luxury Coach with a BIG lift and big Mickey Thompson tires. It still gets great fuel mileage - even while towing. His favorite expression is that it will "snatch Satan out of h*ll". :lol: and it would.... When towing our trailer with pony in it, I have to remind him to take it easy because you can easily forget that the trailer is back there. No maintenance issues to date and it is his everyday truck, not just our tow vehicle. Love it.

lawndart
Jun. 30, 2010, 09:09 AM
Sorry, mine is not a 2010. It's a 2001. #28 off the original Duramax assembly line. So far total maintenance has been replacing the batteries after 7 years and a 7 cent push nut for a broken plastic clip on the tailgate handle rod which broke right about at 9 years old. 163,000 miles. Original brake pads are still good. Tires on there now have 110,000 miles on them and are getting close to needing replacement.

These trucks have an awful reputation for injector problems after a bad batch in 2002. Mine are still original. I always wondered how many of the "problem" ones showed up with diesel fuel in the crankcase right before the 200,000 or 7 year warranty ran out. I have appreciated enjoying this truck so much that I wouldn't cheat GM and intentionally put fuel in the crankcase just to get new injectors.

I've pulled way over rated load a few times. The truck only said, "Come on let's go".Mine doesn't have a Tow/Haul mode. It has a Tow/Haul Ass mode mode while towing in quiet comfort.

I wouldn't trade it for both a new Dodge and a new Ford. It's been one of the few things I've ever bought that turned out better than I thought it would be. I'll probably have to break down and buy another one in 7 or 8 more years.

To me, the best number of truck payments is 1. I like to make one payment and drive it till it drops. Looks like that's a long way off right now.

Tom, I laughed outloud when I read your post. Love the Tow/Haul Ass comment. You and my DH are probably related some how. :yes:

I have serious truck envy when I read about the Duramax, no matter what year it is. My Farrier has a 2008 that I lust after. :lol:

If my '95 Chevy Turbo Diesel ever dies (which it shows no signs of doing, thank god) I will be running to the dealer to get the latest Duramax. :D

As a side note, when I tell people what my older truck gets as gas mileage, or my farrier tells people what he gets in gas mileage, we both get a lot of 'yeah SURE you do' comments. I guess the Ford and Dodge lovers don't want to hear it.

I think GM dropped the ball years ago by not pushing gas mileage in their ads. They have a lot of vehicles that get excellent mileage, my daily driver is a G6. Easily gets 28-30 mpg around town, 35-36 mpg highway. Could probably do better if I didn't have a lead foot. :o

Now I'm going to spend the day dreaming about a new Duramax!

katarine
Jun. 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
I think ours is an 06? 3500...

I use it about once a week for local hauling, and haul out of state 3-4 times a year to camp with a 3h GN with LQ. We also use it for DH's work from time to time. It's a beast.

I LOVE my Duramax.

Go drive the Ford. Do a three point, errr, 6 point turn in it. Then do the same in the Chevy. You'll be sold right there. It takes 6 acres to turn around in the Ford.

The Jake brakes on the Duramax engine are the bomb on descents, you brake to the speed you are happy with, let off the brakes and let the motor keep you at that speed. Love it. It does all the work.

And yes, it has a Tow/Haul Ass option. That truck will eat the road UP if called upon. Loves me some of my big truck :)

LoveJubal
Jun. 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
I appreciate all the feedback! I am going to be purchasing in the next month or two, but I think we might have to order one.

No one around here really has any on their lots. If they do, they're the stripped down models (work trucks). My DH wants this to be HIS new truck, so it must be loaded to my, I mean his, standards.

We are definitely going to drive one, maybe get a loaner for a day or so, if we can find one!

Thanks again for all the help!

MLD
Jun. 30, 2010, 01:00 PM
We have two GMC 2500HD Duramax trucks. Mine is a 2004 and hubby's is a 2009.

I am kind of a Ford girl at heart. But everything everyone said here about the Duramax is so true.

Turning radiance is much better than a ford.
Fuel mileage is MUCH BETTER than a ford.
It is easier to drive than any ford I have owned
Hauls like a dream....but then, so does Ford
And the stereo KICKS BUTT!! Better than anything I have ever had in a ford.

Tom King
Jun. 30, 2010, 04:16 PM
quote "The Jake brakes on the Duramax engine are the bomb on descents, you brake to the speed you are happy with, let off the brakes and let the motor keep you at that speed. Love it. It does all the work"

Just a little correction. A "Jake Brake" is a completely separate valve timing in a semi truck engine for braking purposes. The Duramax does not have a Jake Brake. The brake assist you are speaking of is part of the Allison Transmission and the software that runs it-yes it's really cool and works great and does use the engine compression sort of like a Jake. I like the Allison tranny equally as much as the Duramax motor.

http://www.jakebrake.com/products/how-the-jake-brake-works.php

katarine
Jun. 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
well since I never even pop the hood on the beast, I'll just keep calling 'em Jake breaks. it lets the average joe know what I'm tryin' to 'splain :) Hell what I normally say is it has the Jake brake type thingie that uses the engine to slow it down :)

Tom King
Jun. 30, 2010, 05:38 PM
I think Allison calls it "grade braking".

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/allison_grade_braking.html

Jake Brakes make a LOT of noise and that's why you see signs coming into some cities that say something like "Jake Brakes not Allowed".

Other than that, it doesn't matter to me, but it's easy to confuse people who might hear someone call it a Jake Brake and then see the sign saying it's illegal to use.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1501/what-are-jake-brakes-and-why-are-they-prohibited-in-some-locations

Examples of signs that do not apply to the Duramax trucks:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/604581547_670e540524.jpg

http://www.noiseoff.org/media/jake.brake.sign.1.jpg

katarine
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:39 AM
erm, Tom, if someone's goofy enough to see those signs and think that applies to the off the lot Duramax they bought, that's their problem, not mine for thinking of 'em - incorrectly as ever- as Jake brakes. It's not like there's a switch somewhere on the dash to disable them.

Guilherme
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:16 AM
quote "The Jake brakes on the Duramax engine are the bomb on descents, you brake to the speed you are happy with, let off the brakes and let the motor keep you at that speed. Love it. It does all the work"

Just a little correction. A "Jake Brake" is a completely separate valve timing in a semi truck engine for braking purposes. The Duramax does not have a Jake Brake. The brake assist you are speaking of is part of the Allison Transmission and the software that runs it-yes it's really cool and works great and does use the engine compression sort of like a Jake. I like the Allison tranny equally as much as the Duramax motor.

http://www.jakebrake.com/products/how-the-jake-brake-works.php

Ditto. :)

G.

ponygirl
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:37 AM
2005 GMC 2500 HD with Duramax and Allison Tranny. I love it. No problems at all and we tow a lot as DH has a race car.

Rebelpaintrider
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:12 AM
I'll jump in :)

We have both, a Dodge 12V and I have an 05 Dmax (LLY)... Both are GREAT for hauling... My truck hauls beautiful, and you can't feel the trailer behind you. And we have a 2h Straight load w/dressing room gooseneck -

Also, Stock trucks have that Tow/Haul mode....it's nice... I have a modification called EFI Live that does wonders! I have a tune I have with it that where if your towing it keeps your trans temps down and everything. Has a turbine break too (Jake brake) on top of the tow haul mode... No lie... you don't have to use your brakes with a trailer behind you.

New Dodge's have the brake too. But go with the Chevy/GMC... Fords... Not a big fan of the motors... (unless its the 7.3) :lol:

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'm a Ford girl. My Taurus has almost 170k. If I get a half ton it will be a Ford.

That said, if I was looking at a truck larger than a half ton I would get the Chevy. I tow (I am always the one who does the actual driving for some reason--probably because of my mad backing skills) w/ my friend's Chevy 2500 (gas) and I "heart" that truck.

Plus the seats are comfy! lol.

A different friend bought a new Dodge one-ton and had lots of problems with the bed height and her gooseneck...they wouldn't take it back and she had to trade it in "used" for a different truck (went with a Ford). I thought the dealership's behavior was appaling. She got hosed on that deal.

Is there any difference between a 3/4 ton Chevy and a 3/4 GMC? Just curious.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
Where did all those Ford people go?

Tom - can I have your truck when you buy your new one - in six or seven years?????

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Where did all those Ford people go?

Tom - can I have your truck when you buy your new one - in six or seven years?????

They are out scraping/painting the rust on their 7.3s waiting for something better?

shortbusgeek
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
They are out scraping/painting the rust on their 7.3s waiting for something better?

Errm, my 7.3s don't have any rust... how about we're out washing our 7.3s? :D We don't own a Chevy or a Dodge... we just have 2 of the 7.3s - an F350 and an Excursion. I typically don't buy new vehicles - they're horrible investments. I'm a Toyota guy myself, but there's not a 1 ton Tundra available yet. I'm looking at trading the Excursion on something right now, but it'll either be an F250 or F350 with the 7.3 or possibly one of the Dodge Cummins diesels (used as well).

As a libertarian though, I'm not too happy about the bailouts for GM & Chrysler. That to me puts Ford ahead of them in my book.

Tom King
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:46 PM
The International 7.3 that Ford used to use is indeed a very good motor. I just didn't want to do LOUD. I had always burned gas before the Duramax because if I want to hear something, it's not the engine. I had even test driven the 7.3 over several year models before the Durmax came out and I could never get past the engine noise.

I like buying new to start with and keeping it as long as it will cooperate. I don't have the same longevity intentions as the manufacturer, so my regular maintenance (including breakin) doesn't coincide with theirs from the start, and certainly wouldn't with some unknown previous owner. I never had trouble with any vehicle that I have bought new, since my first one in 1970. Every used vehicles we have ever bought had something in it screwed up by someone else.

MistyBlue
Jul. 2, 2010, 10:45 AM
A bit off topic but had to say a thanks to Tom King. Just came in the house to look up something on my mower concerning the oil capacity of the B&S engine it has. Did a google search and it directed me right to an article by Tom King on eHow. :D
So thanks Tom...despite the fact I didn't actually ask you, you still gave me my answer. :yes:

I also found out the proper way to do a 21 gun salute, how to make a canoe mold, PH levels for a catfish tank, information on ping pong balls, how to make bunk beds and how to steam pasta! :lol:

Is there *anything* we can't ask Tom? :winkgrin:

Tom King
Jul. 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
That was a different Tom King. I don't know anything about ping pong balls. The only game balls I know anything about are golf balls. I only contribute on horse, dog, golf, sailboat racing, and a few other smaller forums.