PDA

View Full Version : Oh please tell me why...

Alagirl
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:00 PM
Why do they make tea alights in plastic sleeves, when the plastic melts when it gets hot....

Last night, thunderstorm, power went out. So I grab a few (as few as possible, it is also nasty hot...) candles to place in strategic areas, always in mind that I don't want the cats to catch fire and subsequently the rest of the house...

Then I hear a distinct CRACK....the little plastic thingy has melted and the glass holder - THICK glass overheated and broke. One less to worry about I guess...I won't be saving the plastic for use in the glass holders anymore, screw the look, it's not worth it...

And another thing, why oh why do window A/C units not come with drain holes in the back/bottom....
Unless you live in the desert, there will be condensation, and it will collect in the bottom, and for some reason that water, what should be for all intends and purposes be 'distilled' grows some funky clear slime in it....(not to mantion it has a tendency to drip into the house...)

The power was out from around 10 PM til close to 7AM in the morning, thank God for 24/7 Wallyworld and battery powered camping fans....:)

JanM
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:40 PM
There are some nice LED touch lights in the hardware section at Walmart, next to the nightlights. They give lots of light, are cheap and come in two-packs usually. I have some scattered around the house in strategic places.

CatOnLap
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:50 PM
I wondered the same thing the other day. I had lit some lovely scented tealights for an open house and then noted the smell of burning plastic when one of them got to the bottom of its wax. They used to come in tinfoil cups.

As for the A/C I am just wishing we needed it right now. I had the heat turned on in my study this morning.

Christa P
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
I keep a couple of oil lamps filled in a handy location with matches nearby. No need for candles.

As for scented - I am allergic to any of the scented stuff so I don't even have those candles around.

Christa

kookicat
Jun. 30, 2010, 06:09 PM
They still come in foil holders over here. :) (Not that it helps- I sliced my thumb on one the other day picking it up.)

Alagirl
Jun. 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
There are some nice LED touch lights in the hardware section at Walmart, next to the nightlights. They give lots of light, are cheap and come in two-packs usually. I have some scattered around the house in strategic places.

I also have a 13 yo boy in the house, chances are the lights will be DOA by the time I actually need them :lol:

Chall
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:17 PM
Window air-conditioners are to be placed with the outside portion of the air-conditioner slanting down relative to the inside portion of the air conditioner. That is to keep condensation dripping outside, not into the window.
If you have storm windows (which have an outer ledge projected up) you are supposed to use a wooden shim (plank) to correct the angle.
Most air conditioners have instructions on how to adjust the air-conditioner with a wooden plank to ensure it down from the inside to the outside portion of the air conditioner.
[I just installed 3 window ones, so I've been dealing with this.]

Alagirl
Jun. 30, 2010, 09:19 PM
you can't slant them down far enough to make them drain, there is that 1 inch edge on the back. I wish guys would think about these things when they engineer stuff. ;) (so the stuff is sitting in the A/C and eventually it's full...it is humid here, after all...like, a LOT of moisture in the air...)

judybigredpony
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:09 AM
Check with A/C manufactere it has to drain for all sorts of reasons and you just don't have it slaned or else its defective.

Until 5 years ago when we moved to central A/C we had window units 4 of them so I am well versed in diffrent style and installations. But all had a drain at rear corner.

SonnysMom
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:08 AM
On one window A/C unit we had DH drilled holes in the back/bottom of the unit so it would drain.
The water would collect and the fan blades would pick up the water and fling it around the inside somehow and you would get this lovely pinging noise.

Tiki
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:23 AM
I can't imagine what would be different about your windows. All mine can easily be set to be slightly slanted down at the back. The edge around the A/C goes inside the storm/screen frame and the top goes against the inside of the window and voila, it slants to the back.