PDA

View Full Version : WOOF Boots for fat legged ponies

belleellis
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:29 AM
I am getting ready to order the pony some WOOF boots as we have started jumping in the ring (with the far off hope to do unrecognized eventing one day-GAG, Maiden). He is Haflinger/Morgan. 13.3 3/4 and around 850 lbs. He wears a County saddle in a size 5 tree (it is a tad to wide but we have it padded up and he is beginning to get a top line). Wears a size 1 in a shoe (first shoe job was 3 weeks ago) and I imagine he could maybe wear a 2 at some point. The large bell boots I purchased for him the velcro just barely wrapped around his leg so I am having to return those. Based on what WOOF says for his height he would wear a small in the front. I am having to order them online and am hoping to get the size right the first time. He has very short cannon bones but THICK legs. Anyone use these with a Haflinger or some other thick legged pony, do you think the boots will be wide enough?
TIA.

quietann
Jun. 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
My Morgan mare is taller and not so heavily built but also has short, fairly thick cannon bones. I had to go up one size from Woof's recommendations, to M in front and L behind, and they don't quite fit anyway. (These are the least expensive Woofs and she's wearing them for protection in her paddock, not for riding.)

HappyRiding
Jun. 29, 2010, 11:56 AM
Could you not order one of their extra wides? I know they have them in mediums and larges, never had to look for smalls. Currently I have MXW that i bought from legacy tack, maybe if you look around you might find some SXW.

belleellis
Jun. 29, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks y'all.
And I had no idea they made them in wides. That sounds like what the chunk needs. I will check that out.

Haf N Haf
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:19 PM
My 14.1 1/2 hh ~1050 lb. Haffie gelding can wear the Woof All-Purpose boot in a medium. Go much bigger they are too tall for his cannon bones. The neoprene doesn't exactly overlap, but I called Dover for help on this and they said as long they closed, they wouldn't recommend going bigger. That being said I don't love the fit, but he has thick hairy legs and they just look odd. Seeing as we don't jump over 18", I rarely use them.