PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog travel in the bed of your pick-up truck?

JoZ
Jun. 29, 2010, 01:27 AM
I don't want to be a nouveau country girl and over-react. I mean, I see soooo many dogs in the beds of pick-up trucks... that many people can't be wrong. Right?

It almost makes me physically ill to see it. Yet the dogs look happy as can be, and I've yet to see one jump. Is it possible that it is NOT horribly dangerous, neglectful and cruel?

Don't get me started about the dogs that are CHAINED in the backs of pick-ups. That makes it certain the dog will hang itself when it jumps, instead of perhaps making a soft, non-fatal landing.

So I know how *I* feel about it, and now you do too. Am I nuts, or do you agree with me about this practice?

Calvincrowe
Jun. 29, 2010, 01:31 AM
JoZ--I know down here, it may just be our county, but I think it is a state law, dogs must be secured (tied/chained) in the backs of open vehicles. Not sure how often it is enforced. I get sick seeing dogs bouncing around, hanging over the edge or, god help them, standing on the cargo boxes in the back of a rig. I've seen one fall out around a corner at a light. About gave me a heart attack.

My friend who works at our large dog/cat vet has treated many dogs who fall or are flung out of trucks. Many live. Some are so badly hurt they are put down. Some owners care. One guy? He just shrugs and gets another dog.

shakeytails
Jun. 29, 2010, 02:19 AM
Of course not- there's no soft seats or AC back there!

citydog
Jun. 29, 2010, 02:22 AM
that many people can't be wrong. Right?

Sure they can.

It's illegal in a number of states, and for good reason.

The dog is a goner in even a mild fender bender.

If people are going to tether them in the bed of a pickup, then using a harness and a cross-tether makes the most sense.

People are idiots, and the animals pay for it. :no:

MistyBlue
Jun. 29, 2010, 06:31 AM
In CT it's illegal unless the dog is crated and the crate secured.

Yes, many dogs love being out in the wind. And yes, lots of them will be fine most of the time. IMO, still not worth the risk.

Say you're driving and something your dog can not resist goes by...like another dog, a rabbit, a deer, a cat...and dog jumps out of moving truck? :eek: :no: If he's leashed he may be strangled. If not he may just crash on landing or get hit by another vehicle.

I also get nervous when I see folks who have their windows all the way down and the dog is leaning way out.

saje
Jun. 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
Hell, down here people, kids included, are seen riding in the back of pickups all the time, even on the highway.

I hate it.

The only place my dogs ever ride in the bed of the truck is at home on my measly 13 acres. Sometimes I take the truck up to the top of the property to do some work, and the older dog doesn't need to hike up the hill so I boost her into the back. She lies down immediately, and we're going at about 3 mph. Never ever would I put them back there to drive on the road!

Kate66
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Don't get me started about the dogs that are CHAINED in the backs of pick-ups. That makes it certain the dog will hang itself when it jumps, instead of perhaps making a soft, non-fatal landing.

WAY safer than being loose. There is no such thing as a soft, non-fatal landing when jumping out of a moving truck, especially when going down the freeway.

I hate seeing them loose in the back. Typically when I see them chained the chain is short enough that the dog couldn't jump out the side. For the same reasons that you should never have a horse going down the freeway with it's head stuck out of the side of your trailer, it's ridiculously dangerous to drive down the road with a dog open in the back. Imagine one small piece of debris thrown up by the vehicle in front - right into your horse or dog's face.

kookicat
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:24 AM
Eek, no. Sounds scary- the last thing you want if you have a crash is x number of pounds of dog coming through the back window. I doubt it would do either of you any good.

My dogs go on the back seat, tethered with a car harness that clips into the seatbelt port.

There's just too much chance of something going wrong with a dog in the bed. What happens if he jumps out and causes a crash?

wildlifer
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:57 AM
Only if I want my dog to die. Which generally one does not. Lots of people do it here too, but doesn't make it a good idea. I even saw one dog standing ON THE CAB of the truck while the truck went down the road about 45 mph. I closed my eyes.

Bluey
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:16 AM
I think it is illegal around here.
It is not enforced, but it is on the news enough that you don't see many any more, people know it is wrong and few like to be honked at and chastised by strangers driving by.
Peer pressure at work.

If they put their kids there, well, Darwin at work.

We have never put dogs in the pickup beds, it is a no brainer.
We used to train border collies and raise puppies for a local breeder, that won much with them, including the Cattle Dog Futurity and he would absolutely not sell a dog to someone that would not guarantee him they would not put the dog in the back of the pickup and that was 30 years ago.

I also think less farmers have dogs any more, or time to take them with them all the time and if they do, they care for those dogs enough not to put them in harm's way.

sisu27
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:18 AM
Not in the back of the pick-up but in my Wrangler with the top down. Not the current kids as they are not trustworthy but my last Dobe. I looped his leash short enough around the centre console that he would not be able to get over the side. Was never a problem. It was also usually for short trips around town, never on the highway.

tabula rashah
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:45 AM
Ugh I can't stand seeing dogs in the back of a pick up- makes me crazy. And when I've b!tched at people who I know have done it, the reason is always "the dog likes it" sheesh!!!
I have a no living critters in the back of my truck rule- including people- I actually had a cousin that died from being bounced out of the back of a truck that was just being driven around a field, not even on the road

katarine
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:51 AM
Yep.

The dogs ride in the back of the pickup to go to the lake which is about 30 min away. The bed has truck boxes down each side. They cannot hang their heads over the side.

They also ride in the 71 Bronco that doesn't have shoulder belts :) Soap rides in the backseat, Noodle in the passenger seat.

You can puke all you want, those are my dogs. And those are my choices.

horsetales
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:59 AM
I know a woman who lost her adult son who was helping her move a mile down the rd and and was bounced out of a PU bed. I can't imagine putting any living creature unsecured in the back of PU bed. The hunting people I know all secure their crates in the bed.

ReSomething
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:59 AM
No.
Twenty-odd years ago my DH and his buddy loaded up the pickup with welding bottles and the dog hopped in back there too. The welding bottles shifted, the buddy slowed way down but the dog bailed anyway, hit the pavement and ran off. It was roughly 24 hours later after a sleepless night of the whole family slowly driving the route and calling that the dog showed up at home. Scraped up, missing a couple of teeth and VERY sore.
Other people may do what they want, we stuff our dog in a crate when he rides in the car or truck.

Phaxxton
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
No living animal gets into any of my vehicles without being properly contained or secured. Humans all wear seat belts. I don't care if you're 50 years old riding in my back seat. You wear your seat belt. Cats and small dogs ride in hard shell crates on the floor of the back seat. Larger dogs wear a harness that attaches to the back seat seat belts. :yes: Loose animals in cars drive me nuts -- Not only is it dangerous for the animal, in the event of an accident, an animal projectile could also be extremely dangerous for the people in the car.

No animal rides in the bed of my truck ever. Period. The only way I can see this being safe is if the animal is in a crate and the crate is secured. Even then, that won't be happening in my truck unless there is some kind of emergency that warrants it.

CatOnLap
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:43 AM
illegal here in Canada too, but with so many other bonehead moves on the roads, the police are too busy to enforce it and it is not uncommon to see dogs unsecured, in the bed.

philosoraptor
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:50 AM
Not cool. But where I live, I see not only dogs in the pickup beds, I see kids as well. :eek:

philosoraptor
Jun. 29, 2010, 10:52 AM
I know a woman who lost her adult son who was helping her move a mile down the rd and and was bounced out of a PU bed.

That reminds me of a story: one group of locals were "truck surfing" - where one drives and one or two try to stand up in the back of the pickup while the pickup goes down the road. It was a number of years back, but I recall there being a fatality from this nearby. A "surfer" lost his balance, went over the edge of the truck, and that was it for them.

shortbusgeek
Jun. 29, 2010, 11:13 AM
That reminds me of a story: one group of locals were "truck surfing" - where one drives and one or two try to stand up in the back of the pickup while the pickup goes down the road. It was a number of years back, but I recall there being a fatality from this nearby. A "surfer" lost his balance, went over the edge of the truck, and that was it for them.

Survival of the fittest at it's best.

wendy
Jun. 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
it's not safe, and in many places not legal, to have your dog loose ANYWHERE in a vehicle, whether that's in the cab of the truck, in your car, or the bed of the truck. The dog needs to crated/ seatbelted/ tethered/ behind a grill. Something.
I can sort of see putting dogs n people in the bed of the truck for a very short, very slow drive off the roads, say from the barn to a distant field or something, but totally insane to have them back there while on a public road.

vacation1
Jun. 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
I can think of one great reason beside the obvious to not let a dog loose in the bed of a pickup - sure, a really smart, calm dog might not jump out at speed and be lucky enough to not be thrown, but plenty of them might well decide to jump ship at a stop. I've seen that, and it's (understatement) alarming for nearby pedestrians if, as is usual with the types of dogs who generally end up being pickup bed passengers, the dog is large.

I know a woman who lost her adult son who was helping her move a mile down the rd and and was bounced out of a PU bed.

Argh, that's awful.

Weighaton
Jun. 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
We had a very large (120lbs) husky that was always tethered in the bed of the truck. The tether doesn't allow the dog to actually reach the sides of the truck. He is tethered in the dead center with a harness. It worked great and he loved the breeze.

Pennywell Bay
Jun. 29, 2010, 01:01 PM
It is dangerous to have ANYTHING loose in the back of a pick up. An animal? No way. It may even be illegal in some states ( I'll ask my brother who is a statie in PA).

danceronice
Jun. 29, 2010, 01:08 PM
Me? No. (Not that I own a truck. My dogs ride on the floor in the back seat of my hatchback. Well, one of them tries to be UNDER the seat, but he's odd.) I'm not a cop, though, so there is nothing I can do about it. I'm certainly not going to be the town bitch and lecture my neighbors. In any case the only neighbors I have who take their dogs in a pickup are the ones with the coonhounds, and they have one of those big wooden transport boxes for them in the bed. (Those dogs are worth more than my car, though, so I would hardly expect them to be careless.)

Go Fish
Jun. 29, 2010, 01:47 PM
I was 16 and had my license for about two minutes when a pickup with a loose dog in the bed T-boned my truck. The dog flew over over the cab of the truck and landed on my windshield. I will never ever forget that and it happened nearly 40 years ago.

bdj
Jun. 29, 2010, 02:07 PM
Pretty sure that an untethered dog isn't legal around here, either (MD).

On the way to a horse trial many years ago, big Chesapeake jumped out of the back of a pickup truck, right in front of the rig with the horses. Driver of the horse rig was my trainers DH - he had 2 Chessies of his own, and he knew that he couldn't safely stop the truck and loaded trailer... had to hit the poor dog, and the poor guy was in tears the rest of the way to the event. I hate that he had to hit that dog, but there wasn't anything he could do about it, that wouldn't have risked a MUCH bigger accident. Just because some a-hole had to let his dog ride loose.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 29, 2010, 02:14 PM
Makes me crazy. Cause I don't want to have to see someone's dog splattered all over the road.

But people here put their kids and their farm hands in the truck bed as well, and go flying down the highway. So I don't suppose I can expect them to treat their dogs any better.

Mozart
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:13 PM

Illegal here too. Dog has to be crated.

That reminds me of a local guy who bought a mattress and had his wife drive the PU while he lay on the mattress to weigh it down. Wind picked up mattress with man and splatted them both on the highway down wind of the truck. He did not survive.

Bad enough to have your death prominently reported in the local rag but even worse to have everyone read it while rolling their eyes...

Bluey
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:53 PM
Some years ago my neighbor got a new lab puppy, when his cowdog passed on.

He kept the dog in the back of the pickup and I told him regularly that it was not safe and being summer, too hot on the puppy's paws.
So, he put a piece of old carpet down.
One day, no more puppy.
I asked and he said he was pulling into his house, turned and hit the ditch there a little hard and the puppy, now six months old, must have been anxious to get off and was slung out and broke her hip and back.
He had to carry the puppy to the vet and he put her to sleep.
He has not had another dog in the back of the pickup since and he is one to tell others not to now.:yes:

bort84
Jun. 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
I live in the Houston area, and I was driving out to the barn the other day on highway 45 (a MAJOR major interstate highway) and saw a rickety old pickup truck doing 70+ MPH with a GOAT tied in the back of the truck...

I had to call a friend and say, "you know you're in Texas when..." Haha. Though really, there are rednecks everywhere - Texas and the South certainly cannot claim all of them.

I also see a LOT of people in the back of trucks here - on highways at high speeds. I know that can't be legal, right?

Anyway, I dislike seeing live things in the back of pickup trucks. I can handle a dog properly contained in a crate (or potentially a cross tied harness) if the weather is not too outrageous. There is also some leeway if you're on the farm or going just down the road on a slow moving back road - even that can make me nervous depending on the situation.

Also, kids usually cannot be trusted to be in that sort of situation ever. They just do silly things (even/especially the slightly older ones).

kdow
Jun. 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
I also get nervous when I see folks who have their windows all the way down and the dog is leaning way out.

Doesn't even have to be leaning all the way out. Saw a dog sort of slither out a window when the driver was making a slow turn onto a residential street from another residential street. (Don't know the actual speed of the car, but it was during the time when the nearby school lets out, so people go pretty slow because there are crossing guards and kids all over the place.) The dog only had his head out - there was just something about how everything came together that tipped him out.

Dog was fine, just a bit scratched up, but imagine if the car had been going faster.

This discussion reminds me - are there any studies or anything like that about the way the forces are distributed in the various harnesses you can get for clipping your dogs in to the seat belt? I don't really want to put a harness on the dog that's going to end up putting stress in just the wrong places and actually end up doing more damage to the dog than if the dog had been left loose and confined to the back seat.

ambar
Jun. 29, 2010, 05:26 PM
I live in the Houston area, and I was driving out to the barn the other day on highway 45 (a MAJOR major interstate highway) and saw a rickety old pickup truck doing 70+ MPH with a GOAT tied in the back of the truck...

I had to call a friend and say, "you know you're in Texas when..." Haha. Though really, there are rednecks everywhere - Texas and the South certainly cannot claim all of them.

Thirty years ago in Ohio, my new 4-H horse was delivered in the back of a pickup. I missed both the loading and the delivery (it was supposed to be a surprise for me), but as my mom tells it, the seller just tugged on the mare's lead and said "up" and up she came! :eek:

My dog's breeder would have my head if I left her loose in the pickup bed. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in CA, for that matter, but I still see plenty of dogs in the bed, both on the freeway and not.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:23 PM
One day, no more puppy.
I asked and he said he was pulling into his house, turned and hit the ditch there a little hard and the puppy, now six months old, must have been anxious to get off and was slung out and broke her hip and back.
He had to carry the puppy to the vet and he put her to sleep.
He has not had another dog in the back of the pickup since and he is one to tell others not to now.:yes:

Damn, Bluey, I wish my neighbors were as smart as your neighbors.

My one neighbor slung his Lab bitch out of the back of the truck and ran her over with the trailer.

That neighbor's sister is still riding around with her Lab dog in the back of her truck.

Go figure.:confused:

*Southwinds*
Jun. 30, 2010, 01:56 PM
My dog rides in the bed of my pick up and she LOVES it.

I love my dog, and I do not go on the highway with her in the bed. This is around our back roads only.

If we need to head into the outskirts of town - I will "cross tie" her in the bed so she cannot go over either side and the cross ties stop before she can get over the side.

RedMare01
Jun. 30, 2010, 02:29 PM
I see it around here sometimes, though not as much as I used to. Hopefully people are learning...but what would be the odds?

I will never forget, though, last year I was driving home from work on I-65 (major interstate in the CITY). There was a flat bed truck driving in the FAST LANE (by flat bed...no sides. At. All.) with a St. Bernard and another smaller dog just standing on the bed, not tied, going 65-70 MPH. I was :eek: :eek: :eek:. Got around that truck as fast and as far away as I could and said a prayer for those poor dogs.... :no: :(

Caitlin

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jun. 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
Ride in the bed of the truck? That's a BIG H*LL NO!
They all get the AC & fight over the window seats!

wendy
Jun. 30, 2010, 03:07 PM
My dog rides in the bed of my pick up and she LOVES it.

I love my dog,
yeah, right, you LOVE your dog. My dog loves chocolate, does that mean I let him poison himself?
people ARE smarter than dogs, right????

Pookah
Jun. 30, 2010, 03:32 PM
I would never allow my dog to ride in the bed of a truck (and she would laugh at me if I told her she was riding without A/C regardless), BUT I was just talking about this with some friends the other day. And all of us have our dogs riding in the backseat of our cars, unsecured. In an accident, this could very well be more dangerous--I wouldn't want my dog flying through the windshield, either. (In my case, I have a Great Dane and a Mini Cooper, and have been so far unable to find a contraption that will fit both the car and the dog, since not many people are crazy enough to have this particular combination).

So, I try not to judge--although many people may not choose to care for their animals as I choose to care for mine, I would prefer any day to see a dog riding in the bed of a truck rather than being starved or beaten. And realistically, many of the "farm dogs" in this type of situation could be much worse off. Not saying that makes it right, but the reality is that there are simply more dogs than there are homes for them, and I think there are degrees of good homes--I would rather see a loved and well-fed dog be in a tragic accident than living in a shelter or worse situation. JMO.

kinnip
Jun. 30, 2010, 03:43 PM
I see dogs in PU beds daily around here. It makes me cringe, especially the ones who are climbing on the slippery tool box.
I remember driving I-85S through Montgomery, AL a few years back and seeing a family in a PU with their two dogs getting it on in the bed. Seriously, they were going for it!!! I must say that for a moment the thought of their impending doom left my mind and I had to laugh out loud.

PRS
Jun. 30, 2010, 03:47 PM
I live in Georgia and really thought I had seen all the bonehead things people do with their animals until I saw a man with a large 4WD pickup complete with mud tires and a tool box behind the cab. That was where the dog rode....standing on top of the tool box :eek: where at any moment the guy could turn a corner and the dog goes flying. I asked why he risked his dog that way, his response..."Well, if the dog is stupid enough to ride up there what am I supposed to do?" Yeah...that's the mentality.

I was at my vet's office one day and he shows me this beautiful white bull dog pup (only 6 months old) with his hind leg freshly amputated. My vet told me that he fell out of the bed of the pick-up truck and smashed his leg up to the point it needed amputation. The owner told the vet to euth him because he didn't want him anymore (now that he's broken) My vet fixed him up and found him a new home. He was still fairly new in his practice back then and was very upset about it.

CatOnLap
Jun. 30, 2010, 04:00 PM
I don't really want to put a harness on the dog that's going to end up putting stress in just the wrong places and actually end up doing more damage to the dog than if the dog had been left loose and confined to the back seat.

I think, in case of an auto crash, you really want your dog restrained in this way to save both of your lives. It may be that the dog is slightly injured by the harness, in the same way that human harnesses sometimes hurt people but save their lives A crash at 60 mph, with a loose dog in the car, even on the floor of the backseat and you've got ( in my case) a 100 lb missile flying around in the car about to be mushed into the windshield.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
A crash at 60 mph, with a loose dog in the car, even on the floor of the backseat and you've got ( in my case) a 100 lb missile flying around in the car about to be mushed into the windshield.

Or hurtle into a human. Years ago, I had my Great Dane loose in the back seat and had to stop suddenly. Whereupon she crashed head first into the back of my head. She didn't knock me unconscious, but I couldn't see anything but white for a few seconds.

If we'd actually collided with something? Oh, yeah, I'd have either been dead or severely concussed.

Which is why (OT) I never allow anyone to ride with me who isn't buckled in, no matter their species. I know a woman who killed her husband that way - they had a wreck, she became a missile, and fractured his skull.

kdow
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:38 PM
I think, in case of an auto crash, you really want your dog restrained in this way to save both of your lives. It may be that the dog is slightly injured by the harness, in the same way that human harnesses sometimes hurt people but save their lives A crash at 60 mph, with a loose dog in the car, even on the floor of the backseat and you've got ( in my case) a 100 lb missile flying around in the car about to be mushed into the windshield.

Which was why I asked if there was any information about the various types of harnesses available. There's a fairly wide selection of them in terms of where they sit on the dog, and if I'm going to put him in one, I at least want to use one that's least likely to cause additional damage, if there is any information available to help select one in that regard.

Also, if anyone has experience with them - Pirate likes to ride sitting up on the back seat, but facing backwards, with his head resting on the seat beside the headrest. That seems to be the most stable position for him and he's done that since I adopted him. Am I right in assuming that I should be able to fit a harness to him in such a way that he can still sit the way he likes? (His body is sort of sideways on the seat, facing the window, with his head looking back, so he's leaning against the back of the seat also.)

Sugarbrook
Jun. 30, 2010, 10:24 PM
I read most of the posts. And NO, not in Florida is it legal. Do I see it, yes of course. Animals standing on top of the tool box balancing........of course.

At my husbands remote Dental Office, a patient came in and got his dental work done.. Another patient came in and yelled in the door that there was a dead dog hanging off the side of the truck. Great trauma for the dog, who was dead, the patient who came out and found the dog and the other patients, who were terribly upset. My husband never forgot it and we were glad that he sold this office and just kept his main office in a larger town where the parking was visible from all of the dental rooms.

Calamber
Jun. 30, 2010, 10:36 PM
It is illegal in Washington State but also, in many states, maybe most, it is considered dangerous driving if you have your dog in your lap. My husband warns me that my Jack Russell Terrier will be killed if he is riding on my lap by the airbag. My passenger seat airbag in my truck is inactivated if not enough weight on the seat so that is where he rides.

Mini_Me
Jul. 1, 2010, 12:39 AM
Of course not- there's no soft seats or AC back there!

This. :lol:

We traded in the extended cab pickup for a full crew cab when our Rottweiler was about 10 months old. Getting too big for the smaller bench seat, he was! :yes:

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:44 AM
kdow - I use the EZ RIder harnesses for my border collies. They permit the dog to lie down or turn around and rest his/her chin on the back of the seat.

Good point about remembering to turn off the airbag if you have a dog riding in the passenger seat!

kookicat
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
Or hurtle into a human. Years ago, I had my Great Dane loose in the back seat and had to stop suddenly. Whereupon she crashed head first into the back of my head. She didn't knock me unconscious, but I couldn't see anything but white for a few seconds.

If we'd actually collided with something? Oh, yeah, I'd have either been dead or severely concussed.

Which is why (OT) I never allow anyone to ride with me who isn't buckled in, no matter their species. I know a woman who killed her husband that way - they had a wreck, she became a missile, and fractured his skull.

Yep. There was a road safety advert shown on TV here a few years ago about this- showed a woman basically getting crushed because her son (in the back seat) didn't have his belt on.

danceronice
Jul. 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
Besides the possibility of jumping/falling out of the truck bed or open windows...especially at highway speeds, what about just getting hit by things in the air? I don't let my dogs stick their heads out of the car windows not because I'm afraid they'll get out but I don't want the wind blowing crap into their eyes.

Again, they ride on the floor of the back seat, so it's not like they could reach the windows in a hatchback anyway, but if for some reason I had one in front on the passenger seat.

lindsay_aggie
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:12 PM

I also see a LOT of people in the back of trucks here - on highways at high speeds. I know that can't be legal, right?

Anyway, I dislike seeing live things in the back of pickup trucks. I can handle a dog properly contained in a crate (or potentially a cross tied harness) if the weather is not too outrageous. There is also some leeway if you're on the farm or going just down the road on a slow moving back road - even that can make me nervous depending on the situation.

Also, kids usually cannot be trusted to be in that sort of situation ever. They just do silly things (even/especially the slightly older ones).

I live in the San Antonio area and this is the strangest thing I have ever seen hauled in the back of a truck:

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq186/ahrfarms/?action=view&current=Cows1.jpg

They were both wide awake, did not appear sedated, and were just looking around enjoying the ride. This was on a farm to market road with a 70mph speed limit. The driver was going ~50 until we got into town.

scheherazadetbmare
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:32 PM
I thought it was made illegal in GA to transport an unsecured dog in the bed of a pickup truck? Check it out with your local animal control.

A dog who is sitting in a Jeep Cherokee with locked doors and rolled up windows will be thrown 40 ft when the Cherokee is stopped in traffic and is hit by an 18 wheeler. Been there. :eek:

So a dog riding in a pickup truck bed without being in a secured harness or secured crate will be thrown at least that far in a wreck. Teenagers (humans) are always been thrown out of the beds of pickup trucks and killed. Even a wreck at low speed and with another car can cause a human or dog to be thrown 30 or 40 ft and the internal injuries inflicted are often fatal. I once saw this happen to a motorcyclist hit by a car at low speed.

Bluey
Jul. 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
I live in the San Antonio area and this is the strangest thing I have ever seen hauled in the back of a truck:

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq186/ahrfarms/?action=view&current=Cows1.jpg

They were both wide awake, did not appear sedated, and were just looking around enjoying the ride. This was on a farm to market road with a 70mph speed limit. The driver was going ~50 until we got into town.

That is wild :lol: ...and dangerous looking for the cattle and anyone in the road with them.:eek:

Many years ago, one of the ranch owners wanted a small calf to eat weeds and stuff in his yard in town and took one just tied with a dog collar, in the back of his Camaro, on a 5 hour trip.:p

Sing Mia Song
Jul. 1, 2010, 06:43 PM
I used to manage a 24 hour emergency practice that also supported a referral surgeon. One of our shorthands was JOPT--"jumped out of pickup truck." It was a real practice-builder for him to put back together the knees of the dogs that had been lucky enough to survive and had owners who could afford to fix them. It was a regular occurence.

After working in emergency vet medicine for 10 years, there are a LOT of things that people do with their pets that I think are insane. Luckily, the pickup truck thing isn't as common as it once was.

TheJenners
Jul. 1, 2010, 09:58 PM
It is illegal in Washington State

Wrong. Trust me, I'd know. If you read the RCW with care, you'll see that a restrained dog is fine:

RCW 46.61.660 - Carrying persons or animals on outside part of vehicle.
It shall be unlawful for any person to transport any living animal on the running board, fenders, hood, or other outside part of any vehicle unless suitable harness, cage or enclosure be provided and so attached as to protect such animal from falling or being thrown therefrom. It shall be unlawful for any person to transport any persons upon the running board, fenders, hood or other outside part of any vehicle, except that this provision shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles or to solid waste collection vehicles that are engaged in collecting solid waste or recyclables on route at speeds of twenty miles per hour or less.

I keep my dog, leased, in the bed of the truck. BF's dog, when he rides with me, is also leashed. The leash is long enough that it applies pressure as they reach the edge, enough that can't get over the edge. Now, the BF doesn't leash because he has the argument of wanting the dog thrown free in an accident...and I tell him he can do whatever the hell he wants with HIS dog in HIS truck, but MY dog will be leashed in and when his dog rides in my truck, he will be leashed. It's safer, and I'm not keen on breaking the law.

TheJenners
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:01 PM
PS: only on slow roads; highways are a no-go, sorry boys.

Calamber
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:09 PM
I meant it is illegal for the dog to ride loose in the back of the truck, which is what I thought was the OP's question but upon rereading, I see that the question was whether loose or tethered. I know it is law in the state of Virginia that no person can ride in the back of an open truck bed, and animals have to be secured.

Blue Yonder
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:12 AM
Only one dog, and only if he thinks we aren't looking and he can get away with it. Except his vehicle of choice is the flatbed hay trailer. The time I checked my rearview mirror going 40 down a farm road and saw the King of the Trailer windsurfing back there, I nearly had a heart attack. He was sad to ride inside the truck to get home.

That, plus the golf cart. He will defend his golf cart against any non-human species (cats, chickens, goats, no one messes with Queso's golf cart). He always rides along to make sure we don't mess it up, I suppose.

Dogs in truck beds on the road are seldom seen down here, which is good. Speed limits are fast, roads are narrow, but mostly I reckon a truck bed in South Texas in the summer is just too hot.

cyriz's mom
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
Lots of dogs in the backs of trucks around here, but the ones that get me are the dogs on flatbeds. I don't know how they manage to stay without any sides.

Someone else mentioned one of my other pet peeves. Horses going down the road with their heads hanging out. Or with the "bars". I understand needing ventilation in the heat, but I can't imagine not using the screens so that hopefully it keeps things from hitting them. I mean I see trailers going down the interstate at 75 mph with heads hanging out all the time. I just bang my head.