PDA

View Full Version : Who's headed to Coconino HTs (Arizona)?

oldbutnotdead
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:32 PM
A group of us from Utah are headed to Flagstaff for the Coconino Horse Trials. Some are going for both horse trials, and some only for one. Anyone else going?

The Coconino Horse Trials are great fun. The pinion pines will be beautiful (no problem with the fire), the occasional afternoon thundershows will be magnificant, and the courses will be fun.

netg
Jun. 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Just a warning: If your horse seems to have a skin reaction after galloping through the water... get medicated shampoo to treat it right away, and wash your horses' legs after they've been in the water.

My horse had a problem a few years ago (before I had him) and lost all the hair/layers of skin, was super uncomfortable, and eventually the hair grew back in with white spots on his bay legs. Most of the other horses from my barn have come back some year or another with skin issues on their lower legs, but the ones who got medicated shampoo immediately didn't get bad.

I wish I were going! I'm not eventing my guy (we're just doing straight dressage) but about half the people I ride with will be there. It'd be nice to get out of the Tucson heat!

SPLAT
Jun. 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Me me me.
I've just moved up to training and really having a hard time of it! Read .... fell off in show jumping at the last event. So we're excited, determined and looking forward to the event. Good luck everyone!

Kairoshorses
Jun. 30, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hey, Splat, I'll be there with you both weekends...doing our first Training there (we've done about three in Area V). I'm very excited. It was beautiful there two years ago when I last went...so I'm looking forward to it.

Plus, my four year old is doing his first BN the last weekend!
Safe travels, everyone!

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 1, 2010, 05:36 PM
<RAR raises an uncertain hand>

I sent my entry in this morning for the newly-added Pre-Comp division at Coconino II.

Had my first jumping lesson in well over a year on Prozac Pony last night - and was happy to note that it was by far not the WORST jumping lesson we've ever had :lol:

So... we'll see.

Dressage is going to suck; that's a given. (When I was competing regularly, I considered changing his show name to 43.5)

And we'll see about the rest of it.

I'm hoping to get up there on Monday for the x-c schooling after Coconino I. I've seen all the cute little PC fences - most of them could be stepped over.

If it turns out to seem like a Very Bad Idea, at least I will have supported the show and gotten out of the heat for a few days.

oldbutnotdead
Jul. 1, 2010, 06:41 PM
That is great news! Love the alternate show name! Love to see you! Look me up -- I still have the silver aluminum trailer with bright blue strips (hey -- it's paid for!).

grzywinskia
Jul. 2, 2010, 02:30 PM
Coming from Fort Worth with 6 horses: 2 Prelim, 2 Training, 2 Novice!! My fav event ever!

rivenoak
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:08 PM
That is great news! Love the alternate show name! Love to see you! Look me up -- I still have the silver aluminum trailer with bright blue strips (hey -- it's paid for!).

Did I ever tell you I drove my car into a pine tree while admiring your trailer? :eek::lol:

That was the year we first met in person.

Is that cute little pony that lady rides coming? (I'm so bad with names, but I think you know who I mean)

If I don't make it up, give Walter a pretzel for me.

oldbutnotdead
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:37 AM
Rivenoak--hee,hee--and the trailer has been detailed so it gleams! Meticulous Mobile Detailing in Utah did a fantastic job -- shameless testimonial and endorsement!!! Pony not coming. "Retired" to owner's (not rider's) house as pasture pet (pony fine--owner doesn't ride much but happily dotes on equines.) Lady coming w fun horse of her own!
RAR--hope to see you!
And everyone else-hope to meet you!

netg
Jul. 7, 2010, 08:06 PM
It looks like I will probably be up there on Sunday morning. I just found out friends of mine are headlining a music festival on Saturday, so with double incentive I'm driving up for their show then at least getting out to watch some dressage on Sunday before I have to come home.

oldbutnotdead
Jul. 8, 2010, 12:52 PM
Netg, and everyone else, look for the EquiSpirit two horse gooseneck aluminum trailer, with its bright blue stripes, and stop by and say hello -- and I always have snacks!

rivenoak
Jul. 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
[quote=oldbutnotdead;4967455]Netg, and everyone else, look for the EquiSpirit two horse gooseneck aluminum trailer, with its bright blue stripes...quote]

Just don't drive your car into a tree while admiring it! ;)

netg
Jul. 9, 2010, 03:02 PM
Just don't drive your car into a tree while admiring it! ;)

Ha!

We'll be in my mom's car which I put the down payment and several payments on for her... so I'll make sure to be careful!

oldbutnotdead
Jul. 10, 2010, 01:06 AM
Here! Met Splat! Hope to meet more COTHers!

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
Also here - I think I saw your trailer as I was pulling in.

netg
Jul. 12, 2010, 02:12 AM
Sorry I missed you while up there! I thought your trailer description was awfully vague until we pulled in and I saw it. Yep, that's an easy way to find you! Unfortunately, my timing was off and I never saw you around to go over and introduce myself.

I still have some hope of finding someone to drive up with me for next weekend. I have a 3 day weekend so it would work out very well for me.... My horse did the training up there last year, so I really want to see the cross country everyone claims was tough but that he was good at... If I make it up again I'll find you for sure!

oldbutnotdead
Jul. 14, 2010, 01:42 AM
Alas, I have gone home. See you there next year!