View Full Version : Is there a trick to polishing Ariat boots or do they just not shine?

Jun. 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
Just as the title asks.......Is there a trick to polishing Ariat boots or do they just not shine well?

Jun. 28, 2010, 03:52 PM
I have Ariat paddock boots that shine beautifully. How are you caring for your boots?

I first use a damp sponge or towel to remove any mud, etc., then I apply Meltonian shoe cream. After it has dried I polish with a shoe brush, and then a final buffing with a soft cloth and/or pantyhouse.

Jun. 28, 2010, 03:53 PM
Some kinds of leather don't really get a mirror-like shine. You could put on makeup in the shine from my Vogels. My current boots, though, just get more of a rich lustrous sheen than an actual "shine."

Mtn trails
Jun. 28, 2010, 03:59 PM
I clean mine first with a damp cloth to get the dirt off, then use Ariat boot cream, apply completly, let dry and then buff. I get a real nice gleam.

Jun. 28, 2010, 04:28 PM
I love Meltonian too but it gives more of a rich luster rather than a high shine. It also takes a while to "build up" a finish that allows for the higher shine on the leg part which is usually more restistant to buffing. Google "spit polish" http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/ht/spitshine.htm

and many examples of how to shine em up will come up.

Jun. 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
I love Meltonian too but it gives more of a rich luster rather than a high shine.

That is true of my Elite field boots but for whatever reason it makes my Ariat paddock boots shine like glass. :confused: Personally I prefer more of a luster anyway but you can also get a mirror like finish by using one of those "Express" sponge buffers after you have finished polishing. They sell them in supermarkets and some tack shops too.

Jun. 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
If you use conditioner on your boots at all...then it will be harder to get them to really shine. But I haven't had any issue getting my Ariats as shiny as I want (or not as shiny).

Put a thin layer of boot polish on (light circular strokes)...let polish sit for a few minutes....then buff with a soft brush and buff again with a very soft cloth. REPEAT...might take a few times to build up enough polish. Key is to build up in thin layers.

You want to give the polish time to soak in a bit...but not totally dry out. That is why some people will lightly mist their shoes with water (or use spit) when they go to buff with the brush. Personally...I just start buffing before it dries out;)

Jun. 28, 2010, 05:07 PM
I use Kiwi Parade Gloss and lots of buffing to get Ariat tall boots shiny. But you're right, they seem to naturally NOT want to be real glossy.

Jun. 28, 2010, 06:02 PM
I use Kiwi Parade Gloss too. Clean with a damp cloth (no soap), apply a thin layer of polish, wait a minute then buff. Mine are like mirrors. Don't use oil or conditioners.

Lieb Schon
Jun. 28, 2010, 06:55 PM
The BEST polish I've ever seen was at Washington Dulles airport in the private jet terminal. I watched him do someone elses shoes and had to have mine done too!
First, he cleaned the leather with a conditioner.
Then he used a dye on the scuffs.
Next was an oil based application (applied and wiped off).
Then Kiwi polish.
And THEN (seriously) he used a small butane torch to melt the polish! Before anyone screams, my feet were in the shoes the whole time! He just used a sweeping motion to "kiss" the leather. I barely sensed any heat, and I was watching, therefore the power of suggestion was making me anticipate!
He then used a knee high hose (pantyhose material) to buff, and a final wipe with a shammy cloth... and voila! I could see the ceiling lights in my shoes! But the best part is that IT LASTS!!!!! A long time!! So once you do it, you won't have to again every single show. Just wipe them off and use the hose or a brush to bring back the shine.
If your boots have zippers, just avoid the threading to be safe. Stick your arm in the boot so you can feel excessive heat, and remember, less is more! I seriously swear by this!

Jun. 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
I agree - it depends on the leather. My Ariat Tall boots have a Matte finish, and are not made to shine - which is why I love them. They clean up really well though, and are as soft as butter, they just don't shine like Army boots.

Jun. 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
My challenges shine up really nicely. My dad used to be in the air force and showed me the 'proper' way to shine boots! Get a tin of black boot polish(I use the kiwi brand), some water(I use a small tupperware), a rag, and an old cotton t-shirt. Take your rag, dip it in the water, then rub it in circles in the polish until you get enough. Rub the polish on the boot in a circular motion in a small area. Then dip your rag back in the water and add just the water on the rag to the area you just polished. That step of adding water creates more shine. Do those steps all over the boot and right after the entire boot is dry, take your cotton tshirt and buff the boot. I can almost see my face in the toe of my 4yr old boots when I use this method! Good luck!

Jun. 28, 2010, 09:28 PM
The newer Ariat Crownes (made in China, not the old ones which were made in Italy) don't like to shine up as much as the old ones. I could do my hair in my old ones, but can't get the new ones to do more than look black and lustrous.

Jun. 28, 2010, 11:12 PM
I usually just throw on some Kiwi boot polish before a show, buff, and get a really nice shine. Otherwise, I just do regular care and they don't look very spiffy, but they don't need to everyday :P

Jun. 28, 2010, 11:47 PM
if you use saddle soap, lexol etc on your boots that will dull them forever. I use that Vogel Leather Conditioner (beige bottle) . Some of the boot cream polish doesn't seem to get as good of a shine as Kiwi polish and the boot cream polishes seem to come off on your breeches.. a sure sign not enough buffing:lol:

Other than that pretty much what everyone else said - old pantyhose help to buff up the polish really well (and not leave a lovely black across your knee)

Jun. 28, 2010, 11:55 PM
I take my daughter's Ariat Crowne boots to a local shoe repair guy and for $10.00 he gives them a shine that will last forever. At shows a quick rub with a towel brings them back to their shinning glory. I do not know how he does it. All I know is that he does boots for the police motor officers and all the boots shine like a mirror.